1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official First Debate Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rimrocker, Sep 25, 2016.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

How in the world does this dogwhistle still work on Republicans? Insanity.

val_modus likes this.
  2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

3. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

All that comedy about trickle down made me wonder whatever happened to Arthur Laffer...

[​IMG]
    Found him.

justtxyank likes this.
  4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I agree I don't expect Trump to pay any more in tax than he is legally required to pay. But, if you're looking for a sort of champion to fix the laws and prevent the super-rich from continuing to avoid taxes, how much credibility can you have when you're one of those super-rich guys who have been avoiding taxes? If he succeeds, he'll pay more tax, all his friends and family will pay more too. He's going to do that so that everyone knows he's a man of the people? He's not even doing a lot of talking about closing tax loopholes.

5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

"I think I have a great temperament!"

Classic! I felt the Earth rumble from all the laughs when he said that.

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

If there is a conflict of interest, especially if laws were crafted while in office to benefit them, then yes that's an issue. This is precisely why it is important to understand what possible conflict of interests could exist (this apply specifically to Trump and his businesses that is not known to the public) and one way to see that is through tax returns during their terms and while they are running for office.

That's pretty subjective on her speech. If you have some information that she's getting money from her speech that is not because of her speech but as some kind of kickback or to pay back what she did for them while in office, go ahead and post them. If not, I can only view it as baseless.

I hear that about going against the political system and I get it. I would be in favor of such a candidate, if there was one that is competent, smart, gracious to all Americans and is indeed someone that can break through gridlocks and powerful interests. A super tall order. Trump is no where close to any of that and doesn't deserve to be mentioned as such a candidate.

#646 Amiga, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

That article is five years old. And Reaganomics v Obamanocis is not 1:1. While the inflation rate in 1981 was bad, it had been persistent for most of the 70s and was not the sudden and mostly unforeseen collapse in the banking sector, which rivaled the worst economic collapse in US history. He's comparing apples to bowling balls.

A far better, more 1:1 comparison would be Obama to Hoover, and in that regard, Obamanomics have been quite effective.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

As a citizen, I expect a presidential candidate to disclose his or her tax returns, as has been the case for the last 50 years or so. President Richard Nixon disclosed his tax returns while under an audit. What makes Donald Trump so special that he thinks he is above such things? What is he hiding from the American people? Why are some here defending him for not disclosing his income tax returns, yet attacking the Democratic candidate for her finances when her and her husband have disclosed their tax returns over the last several decades? What twisted logic excuses Donald Trump from being honest with the American people about his income and its sources?

9. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Yuge news here. Who knew Fox had editorial standards? Must be a new thing since Ailes got kicked out.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Does anyone really believe that Trump gave an even passable performance at the first debate?

I listened to both of them (but especially Trump) and thought to myself that I wouldn't vote for him as local village board member....... yet some how, this drooling and incomprehensible idiot is the PRESIDENTIAL candidate for the Republican party and has 40-45% chance of being President of the United States.

11. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Are he could be creating more loopholes for the future....

For a person such as Trump who is in the running to become President and bragging about not paying Taxes; especially when you have others out there in payment plans for years trying to pay off taxes is flat out disgusting.

Basically with these candidates you have death by poison or by knife... pick your death....

T_Man

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

13. TheresTheDagger

Until I see a counterargument from an expert in economics, I'll take the credentials of the article's author over yours. (With no disrespect intended.) :)

14. TheresTheDagger

http://www.defense.gov/News/Article...gest-threat-to-readiness-military-leaders-say

Sequestration Poses Biggest Threat to Readiness, Military Leaders Say
    Seems like perhaps Trump has this one right.

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's one of those repeat it long enough and hope ignorant people adopt it types things. Like saying we don't a have a tax problem we have a spending problem despite the fact income taxes are historically low.

#655 CometsWin, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  16. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Eh, I think even if you believe the worst possible stuff about Hillary and even if she turns into the worst possible Hillary, we can muddle through a Clinton presidency. We have a good idea of how that might go: small cuts.

A Trump presidency? Nobody knows anything except it would be a much different world: cannonade. If he became the worst possible Trump, it's either the end of the Republic or Idiocracy made real.

Invisible Fan and Ubiquitin like this.
  17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

There was one career politician who was against the system. Hillary and the DNC would have used every tactic in the book to ensure he did not win the primary. Bernie would have destroyed Trump, but the DNC and big money was not going to allow someone like him in the white house.

Unless Trump is doing some really shady business, his tax returns are largely irrelevant. Its only a conflict of interest once he is in office. Again, Hillary is never inspirational enough to give speeches that would make her a multimillionaire over and over. One does not become SOS and possible future president of the US by blatantly breaking laws. Their influence and proximity of politics allows them to make millions when otherwise they would never be able to. That is wrong, however I understand its the nature of the beast. However don't hold an outsider to a different standard. Equality is the furthest thing from what the Clintons represent.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Seem like perhaps Trump wants a bigger military and more wars.

U.S. Army fudged its accounts by trillions of dollars, auditor finds

In an age where our troops have to buy their own gear and fight tooth and nail for VA reimbursements, it's damn disgusting to feed the fat and ugly military industrial complex.

When life gives you cannons?

Seriously though, Italy is still reeling from that fascist fat **** Berlusconi. Some people don't really know the consequences around them.

19. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Trump's finances are probably structured so that he has no taxable income with most of his earnings through capital gains and other tax advantaged means.

The same people criticizing Trump for paying as little taxes as possible (and being proud of it) are the same people who have no problem claiming the child tax credit and any other deduction they can to lower their own taxes.

Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We can hate the game, but you are missing something. Trump is whining about how high the taxes are and claiming that high taxes are keeping businessmen from hiring more folks. You can't end up paying zero taxes, and then saying high taxes are keeping him and other business men from hiring more people.

The two ideas don't jibe.