1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cut Carlos Gomez.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by underrated015, Aug 8, 2016.

?

Who is most responsible for Gomez debacle?

Poll closed Oct 29, 2016.
  1. 5

18.5%
  2. Luhnow

3.7%
  3. Hinch

7.4%
  4. Hitting Coach

44.4%
  5. Moneyball aggregate offense approach

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Hell if I know but what a disaster

44.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

What does that have to do with anything?

The Cardinals are one of the oldest teams in all of sports... and they haven't been to a Super Bowl.

The Bears are also pretty damn old... and are looking like the worst team in football.

I agree the Texans need to look better on the big stage... but the age of the franchise has little to no bearing on where a team should be at. Still trying to figure out the Browns 2.0 as well as Jacksonville too.

2. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I thought the cardinals lost to the steelers in the super bowl

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Correct... forgot about that one year juggernaut led by one of the greatest coaches ever (Kent freakin Whisenhunt).

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

You don't understand how years of service can/should correlate to amount of success?

Being difficult again, I see.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So like I said... teams that have been around for almost a century haven't had a plethora of success relative to the time they've been franchises.

6. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Right, that means those teams are below-par/suck.

7. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Bulls***

10. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Maybe the Rangers will believe he's for real and sign him long term!

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

12. underrated015

underrated015 Member

No returns because we're busy fumbling .

13. conquistador#11

I never really disliked a player that was an astro and left to another team other than beltran. Gomez is now my second one. Just that type of production for us in april would have been appreciated. What a turd, especially when the entire organization gave him chance after chance doing blunders in the outfield. Sometimes you need a fresh start but why not Florida. does his helmet fit now?

14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

The 3 F's of Houston Texans Special Teams Coaching: Freeze, Fair Catch, Fumble.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

It's time to move on from this game, guys. LOL.

Htownballer38 likes this.
  16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Maybe a change of scene is a for real thing... that has been proven on multiple occasions... and he'll be a valuable long-term addition for them (or somebody).

The only thing that is a virtual certain is that things were not going to magically get better in Houston. They exhausted every single measure to help him... from dropping him in the order, to days off, to a phantom DL stint to get his head right, to minor league rehab, to giving him undeserved regular playing time to play his way out of it.

Its unfortunate that the one thing that may have "worked" was essentially making him jobless. Its also a very common human response to rebound when one hits rock bottom.

17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It's only been 30 games, although he never looked this good over any 30-game stretch with the Astros. Having said that, if there's any chance this is a legitimate turnaround, I have to go back to what I've been concerned with since very nearly day one: his health.

By now, I think it's pretty obvious he was nursing an injury when we dealt for him that we either missed or dismissed, and I don't believe he was ever fully healthy. Drop-offs are not terribly uncommon after a certain age - but his was pretty mind-boggling (-219 in OPS from peak '13-14 to his tenure with the Astros). Even a lackluster first half in '15 while still with Milwaukee (.751 OPS) was significantly better (.670 and then .594).

18. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Looks like they did hahahaha.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Jon Daniels this afternoon: It comes down to a couple things: talent was there. We saw that time to time but not consistently. Give a ton of credit to the coaching staff, especially the hitting side. You're seeing the results there. We've created an environment where they're free to be themselves. Banny told him to go out & play & relax.

20. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

just another blemish on the **** stain that has become houston sports... truly approaching laughing stock proportions at this point.