1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Racial Hysteria Triumphs on Campus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It's a google search away on what the sign was for.

Not me personally. Someone is concern enough to put up warning signs. It was meant for some people and it's none of my business.

What you just stated is almost like the warning sign itself is somewhat a trigger event for you. It seems to be a big issue and a concern to you. You seems to believe a trigger that causes mental breakdown is nonsense. That's a judgement that doesn't try to understand other people IMO. And you seems to think it promote the nonsense - the triggers - which is strange. I'm very doubtful people would develop trigger events from seeing warning sign. Or perhaps you meant, it's nonsense to have warning signs for people that do have trigger events to sexual materials? Then the question is back to - why do you care about something that doesn't impact you and is meant for others?

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Thx for the info. Yea, I don't get it either.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The sign looks to me like an exercise of free speech. Mojo would like to suppress that exercise of free speech to, ironically, make speech more free. I kinda get your complaint about safe spaces -- though you seem to have blown it up into a ridiculous boogieman -- but a content advisory does not at all impinge on free speech or free association. It makes those things more free.

Also, just want to point out in the Elect This case: this sign is not about 'sexual content,' it's about sexual violence -- rape, child abuse, incest, stuff like that. The concern of the school is not that someone might be titillated but that it may dredge up real traumas that have done real psychological damage to victims. It's not about kids who just can't tolerate thinking about ideas and theories they aren't comfortable with. It's about caring for people who are suffering in real life. It's an important thing to talk about and to do something about, especially on college campuses, but believe me the rape victims are already thinking about it, even if they don't attend a particular MTV event on the subject. The only concern I'd have about the advisory is that perpetrators might be warned to steer clear so that they can remain in blissful, willful ignorance of the pain and suffering they cause.

Amiga likes this.
  4. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

This one is also a gem.

5. JuanValdez

Are we moving on then? Nothing more to be said for the trigger warning on the presidential debate?

6. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Here is one picture of the placement of the sign at Hofstra. To the extent there was confusion about this, they pretty clearly brought it on themselves.

[​IMG]

Now we can move on.

Unless I am mistaken, there will be another incident on a university campus shortly. I will be on the lookout. But if any of you catch it before I do, please do post the story here. :D

7. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

There are some cuts and I'm curious if there's anything substantial in them, but yah, that was just sad.

To start crying over this stuff too...our youth is so weak minded and emotional.

8. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Imagine being this upset over the actions and thoughts of college students, a demographic that hardly votes and exerts little political influence on this country. Yeah, you get a big ol' boner over this, but it really doesn't matter outside of these campuses that you haven't been on in decades.

9. JuanValdez

We can move on. But the photo you posted of the sign next to the MTV Elect This table doesn't seem to justify any confusion. What it looks to me like is that some muckraker was either grossly negligent in trying to understand why the sign was there or else willfully misrepresented the purpose of the sign to fabricate a story. Either way, I'd urge you to be careful about your sources of information to be sure they are neither incompetent nor disingenuous before you start repeating what they report. Alright, I'm done giving you a hard time about it.

I haven't watched your latest due to my aversion to video. If time allows, I may go back and look at the story about segregated housing. You may be on to something there, though my first reaction admittedly is 'that can't be right.' If it is true, I hope and expect it will be fixed.

10. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Just FYI, the initial source of the information was a tweet from a CBS reporter. The reporter later qualified his initial tweet to clarify that the "trigger warning" - there was a "trigger warning" - was associated with the MTV event and not the debate. But the debate was a few hours away and the student center was apparently promoting that event as well. This even apparently confused the CBS person who posted the initial tweet on this, who being with CBS is presumably not in the tank for either the Tea Party or Donald Trump.

I try to be as careful as I can about sources that I use, but when CBS and the mass media are constantly giving out wrong or misleading information, sometimes you have to just do the best that you can.

However, unlike some people around here, I fully intend to take your advice on this point to heart, and to the best of my ability try to verify that the information I post here is correct. I sincerely agree that this is important. However, it is just not always entirely in my power to do this with perfect accuracy, as was obviously the case in this instance.

11. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

There is a reason why I distinguish the alt right from the average conservative and why you should distinguish the SJWs from the average liberal or even in this case the average liberal leaning college student.

12. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Both of these two groups that you mentioned are just flat-out, hardcore racists. Anyone who is sufficiently aligned with either of these groups that they would defend and support the sorts of egregiously racist attitudes and actions that these two groups so loudly and proudly promote, is someone who deserves the same scorn that these two groups are routinely the recipients of.

13. JuanValdez

I can appreciate this. With what the internet has done to journalism, misinformation has become a big problem.

14. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Wait, you don't just categorize people because they disagree with you as X or Y?

What an insanely logical idea! :D

I don't put all liberals into this category. I didn't even mention liberals, did I? Your point still stands, but mine was about today's youth in general. As we've seen on campuses across the country, this "safe place" mentality has gotten out of hand. I just don't know how these kids are supposed to deal with real life where you're insulted or "triggered" by things everyday.

I try my hardest never to put people in categories. I'm fiscally conservative. I'm a Republican voter. But I don't support or agree with every policy plank, in fact many I do not support. But their general views on government I share, therefore they're my best choice when voting (outside of this election, as I refuse to vote for a douchebag -- and I've thought that way about Trump longgg before he became a candidate for President last year). But, without even a conversation, many will label me as a racist, bigot, women-hating, etc. I'm not saying the right doesn't do it as well. However, I notice far more name calling coming from the left....anyways, I digress. The point of my post was to insult today's youth...because I'm 29 and I'm so old, ya know? :)

RedRedemption likes this.
  15. JuanValdez

The Halisi house at CSULA is open to all students to try to avoid legal problems. But it does still look like institution-enabled self-segregation from what I've read. Same with their gender-neutral housing. If non-black students are going to feel like they don't belong, then being open access is just a paper protection, not a real one. Race associations are defensible to me, but shouldn't bring it to university-supplied housing.

16. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

There's only one person that seems to be triggered in the last few pages. Over what again? A sign? That offers support? For people who need it?

The horror.
    [​IMG]

Seems like someone should retreat to a safe space.

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I feel like this is an unfortunate stereotype as well.
    The loudest are always going to be the most visible, but I feel like the vast majority of college students don't fit into the "safe space, social justice" category. Many of us here are just trying to get our degrees and get jobs, only a small few spend their time trying to be some sort of political/social activist (and I'd say 80% of people in STEM don't give a **** at all).

It is a growing movement however, I'll give you that. Most of it stems from flat out naivete and will be flushed out after college for most people though with a little bit of education in basic government, history, finance, etc.

It really is up to the moderate left and the right to beat down these r****ded fringe groups emanating from both sides. The amount of SJWs that flocked towards Bernie was ridiculous and was about 30% of the reason I didn't want to vote for him, in case he tried to pander to them in office.

18. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I completely agree with you and perhaps I should have been clearer that I don't think ALL of our youth or even a vast majority fit into this category. But I do believe they have become a large enough group that they give the impression that there are no other voices or opinions on these issues. Partly because they dominate the discussion and disrupt any dissenting presentations/rallies/etc.

I graduated undergrad in 2010. A lot of this nonsense SJW/safe space crap has only recently started. While UT is a fairly liberal school, I never felt out of place being a somewhat conservative person. Though there isn't a ton of vocal Republican/conservative groups active on campus.

The problem with your solution is moderates are fed up with being labeled. I have to preface everything regarding the presidential election with "I'm not voting for Trump, but" anytime I want to point out an issue with Hillary or the rare occasion Trump says something right.

But this also isn't just a campus issue. We as a nation are entirely too litigious, IMHO.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  19. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...William Shakespeare thought it might not be a bad idea, if you're talking about overthrowing "tyranny" to get rid of all the lawyers...

...practically everyone in the Senate and the House of Representatives have a law degree...
    ...and lawyers aren't necessarily paid to win...

...how'd Tom Cruise say it in "A Few Good Men"?...

...a good lawyer just has to make an argument....

20. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

This is only tangentially related, but I did not want to start a new thread.

A Michigan student has successfully changed his preferred personal pronoun before his name to "His Majesty". :D

As many of you will be aware, the lunatic left has been pushing the ideas that gender is an elective choice that one just chooses on a whim, or a bet, or whatever. That implies in their maniacal minds that the personal pronouns that we use are sexist and bigoted, and that we need a long list of additional pronouns for people to use to rectify that.

In fact, New York City has passed an ordinance enabling people to be fined for not using the correct pronouns, even though almost nobody knows what they are. We have a thread on that. Here is the link: NYC Will Fine You $250k For "Misgendering"

So, Grant has shown the way. Just start pick your own and add to the ridicule. If this becomes a trend, this nonsense will be buried under the weight of its own foolishness in no time.