1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JJ Watt Possibly Out For Season

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by moestavern19, Sep 27, 2016.

1. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I'm sure he's using his professional history when saying that, but if his last experience with such a case was even a year or two ago, it could already be an outdated opinion. ACL's used to be career killers. Now players are coming back as good as before, in record time, and even from multiple tears. We're starting to see that with patellar injuries too, where Jimmy Graham and Victor Cruz have at least come back and are in playing shape making an impact, where before they might as well have retired.
    This could be entirely identical to the Tmac injury, but with how much medical advances there's been in the last 7-8 years, odds are Watt comes out in a better state comparatively.

2. Marteen

Marteen Member

I wasn't as bummed out about that game as some other people were. The Patriots are almost unbeatable at home in their recent history of dominance. But yeah, injuries always seem to happen as of late once we think a team might actually be a contender. T-Mac/Yao, Schaub, and now Watt.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

How did that work out for DMo? And he doesn't even play a contact sport..

I think a lot of it is training... Mainly squatting.....aren't disc herniations usually do to excessive flexion at the lumbar? Squat heavy and the weight can push you into lumbar flexion... Eventually you'll settle into that flexion more and more bc the exercise is such a huge stimulus...

Happens with deadlifts too..

[​IMG]

So whether he comes back early, late, has surgery or not, in the end it doesn't matter if that's what caused the herniation and he goes back to it.

Watt really had no need to try to improve his strength much more prior to last season. That wasn't an issue.. He was being double and triple teamed.. He's not going to gain enough strength to counter that, it's impossible....he should have cleaned up his mechanics and trained smarter.

4. conquistador#11

I was hoping this was a bad dream. I vowed after big yao went down I'd never feel down after all it's just a game. but man, this one hurts. why can't this happen to the Odors of the world.

tmactoyao likes this.
  5. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    It was only back surgery. very minor. when 300 pound lineman crush spine it no big deal. nothing to worry about!!

6. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

Seems about right. Can't even be mad anymore if you're from Houston. You should just expect these things.

7. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

vrabel is the key guy here..really hoping he has these guys primed and ready to go...

8. the shark

the shark Member

So in your opinion basketball isn't a contact sport? Obviously you've never played the game before.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

A contact sport is any sport in which physical contact between players is an acceptable part of play.

So yeah, by definition, basketball is not a contact sport.

10. HardenTime

HardenTime Member

been a horrible year for my favorite players getting injured in the nfl

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Contact is absolutely an acceptable part of play. Not every contact in basketball is a foul.

13. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Longshot to return this season.

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I think it's sophistry to put basketball in the same bucket as football, boxing, hockey, etc.

In basketball, if you're playing in an ideal manner (avoiding a charge, avoiding a screen, not getting called foul for blocking a shot or stealing the ball, etc), nobody touches anybody.

Does contact occur? Of course. Is it the point of the sport or the method by which you achieve the goal? Nope.

16. juanm34

juanm34 Member

We'll still win our weak division & make the playoffs. Watts got plenty of time to rest. This is a huge blow to the team but I'm not concerned about our defense as much as our offensive production.

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yeah I think we're still favorites to win the division. The other teams in our division look pretty bad. Our defense has been good with Watt not 100% anyway.

Not sure if we can afford a Clowney or JJo injury.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I've never heard anyone coach basketball in a manner to avoid contact. Sure, it's not on the same level as football or boxing, but it absolutely is a contact sport. Whatever your made up "ideal" is doesn't change the fact that there is physical contact every single trip down the court that is not called a foul. The entire point of winning a game in football is to avoid contact (pretty sure it's easier to score a touchdown or kick a field goal without being tackled), so that argument is bunk too. Boxing, MMA and the like would be the only contact sports if you want to use that criteria.

20. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Tell that to the defensive players and the other 10 guys blocking for the guy running the ball.

I think the question to ask is... "is contact incidental in or integral to the sport?"