1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Racial Hysteria Triumphs on Campus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Nov 10, 2015.

1. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Hofstra University has set up a trigger warning at their student center for students that come there to watch tonight's debate between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump.

Good grief. These children are beyond pathetic. And so are these university administrators.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Wow... why do people like you have issues with such petty bullshit? There have been 'trigger' warnings for decades. Never seen an ews report that began with "Please be advised, disturbing content ahead"?

3. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

So you are defending this pathetic nonsense at universities, are you? Good to know.

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I think the sign is a bit silly, but that's my opinion and I have never been unfortunate enough to understand how someone might be triggered by sexual materials. It's just a sign and if some people feel the need to be warn, so be it. I personally hope those people can deal with whatever inside them that cause them to trigger, but who knows why they are like that. Maybe some people are so traumatized by some past sexual abusive event that they do get a serious mental breakdown with certain visual and audio inputs. Poor souls. But again, that's them, not you. I'm not sure why must you and others so judge how some people get triggered by sexual materials? How does it impact you?

5. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

The trigger warning at the Hofstra student center was for the airing of the presidential debate between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump. If you regard that as sexually provocative or stimulating is some way, I really do not know what to say to that.

Nevertheless, trigger warnings for political ideas are relatively new and they are completely inappropriate in university environments, which are supposedly intended to encourage students to think about new and sometimes uncomfortable ideas. Unless of course that is not the intention of these universities anymore and they now want to limit the ideas that their students consider to those endorsed by the Democrat left's "political correctness" agenda, as it increasingly appears that they do.

6. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

What exactly is triggered? I see the warning but I don't understand what happens when one gets "triggered"?

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's a nice way of saying that someone is mentally weak or fragile and they become hostile when faced with opinions they don't agree with.

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

They put that sign that just for the debate? That must be a mistake.

EDIT - sure enough, it has nothing to do with the debate. That's your media right there being wrong and still pushing something that is inaccurate.

The school put the sign up for MTV’s ElectThis campaign, not the debate, Tony Aiello, a CBS News reporter, who first tweeted the sign, explained on Twitter.
    I don't know what MTV's ElectThis campaign is, but doesn't matter.

Why is it inappropriate when it is intended for those that can be trigger? It doesn't censor sexual materials. In fact, because it exactly doesn't do that, it have a sign up to warn those that may be triggered.

I still don't understand how this impact you and why you so harshly judge those that are impacted?

#668 Amiga, Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  9. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Based on the definition of bigot in the other thread I would say that this "triggering" thing is flipping the bigot trigger..

10. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Apparently they didn't think so.

This is the new culture at a great many universities across America these days. The latest generation of university students is apparently regarded as just too intellectually fragile to be exposed to a presidential debate without these sorts of preparations and accommodations. At least that is what the lacademic leaders at these universities, who are proactively promoting the left's "political correctness" agenda, appear to believe.

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Refer to my edited reply. It wasn't put there for the debate.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think the point is that we should go back to issuing dunce caps to those susceptible to being "triggered" by ideas that are different from their own.

13. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

All my original comments apply to this event also, if your information is correct. I notice you have no link to back any of that up though.

So you are concerned that these students might be "triggered" if they attend an on-campus MTV debate, or whatever this event actually is. Being "triggered," as it is described, apparently causes these kids to have something approaching a mental breakdown.

From attending an on-campus debate featuring whoever.

You can't be so mentally weak as to actually want to help promote and enable this nonsense. Can you?

14. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

It's a sign placed on the ground. No one's making a big deal about it except you on here.

15. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

It is the pattern and practice of providing "trigger warnings" and "safe spaces" that I am making a big deal about. The sign is just the latest outward manifestation of this very disturbing trend at American universities, and across our society as a whole.

Brought to you as part of the promotion of the Democrat left's "political correctness" agenda, no small amount of which is funded and encouraged by George Soros.

16. London'sBurning

I've been to college recently. They're not plastered everywhere. It's not a big a deal as you make it to be.

17. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

It should not be a "deal" at all.

18. London'sBurning

Way to fight the real problems with America. Signs at a college campus. Keep fighting the good fight sir. You'll win someday.

19. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So many buzzwords in one post. Anybody else get BINGO?

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Take a look at electthis.com. A cursory review showed me that they've partnered with a number of (liberal) organizations, including RAINN -- the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network. One of the issues Elect This lists as something they are focused on, under gender issues, is the prevalence of rape for college-aged women. The university likely felt -- in conjunction with their student organizations -- that many student participants will be themselves recent rape victims and they might feel a bit ambushed to go to an MTV get out the vote event and get sideswiped by another reminder that some drunk frat boys raped them and there's nothing the school or the prosecutor is going to do about it. That seems courteous to me. Doesn't mean they won't go in, doesn't mean MTV can't talk about it. It's a heads-up so you're prepared. I honestly don't understand why Mojo gets his panties in a bunch about it.

Amiga likes this.