1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official First Debate Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rimrocker, Sep 25, 2016.

1. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A. ending tax cuts for the wealthy is not trickle down - it's the opposite
    B. The emergency stimulus package is credited with saving the U.S., if not the world, from a great depression by the vast majority of economists.

It should be noted that the shortness of recovery time of major economies across the world from 2008 was directly linked to how large of a stimulus package enacted. The countries that went to austerity had the worst results.

None of this matters to you because ignorance is your savant.

No Worries likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

A. You failed to understand what I was saying and why I was saying it. (Hint: look at the comment I was responding to)

B. That doesn't explain the out of control spending....even though you always want to blame it on that.

Of course I know that I'm talking to a loud but ignorant leftist so talk about the national debt or yearly deficits will go over your head.

4. Granville

Granville Member

I was really surprised that Trump didn't hammer Clinton hard when the cyber security question came up. I'm surprised he didn't utter "This outta be good" as the question was posed to her. She doesn't have a leg to stand on here as she put top secret information at risk and then lied about it.

5. Major

Major Member

Except that outside of the one-time stimulus (which was a mix of tax cuts and spending), virtually all of Obama's spending was paid for. While it accounts for growth in government, it doesn't really account for a net increase in deficits or debt. The exploding deficit was almost entirely attributable to a fall in revenues (which is why it's largely reversed) due to a once-in-a-generation economic collapse. The debt was $1T+ before Obama ever enacted his first budget.

6. what

what Member

If the next president were able to create a student loan bailout/ forgiveness program I really wouldn't care what else they did as that would go a long way to creating a new middle class and what stimulate the economy.

After the government bailout of the banks, too big to fail bs, I think the middle class deserves student loan bailout.

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

If you managed to make it to the general election, then yes.

r****d: delay or hold back in terms of progress, development, or accomplishment.
    Nobody deserves a student loan bailout, especially if someone wasted 100k on an arts degree. We need to stop bailing out stupidity.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Simply not true. Spending skyrocketed in the early Obama years, and remained at that high level. Sure falling revenues was a problem, but they never adjusted spending leading to literally doubling the national debt in only 8 years. It was the least fiscally responsible policy, when there wasn't a world war going on, in US history.

You talk about the debt being 1 trillion+ "before Obama ever enacted his first budget" but fail to mention that the 1+trillion dollar deficit he "inherited" was a budget that Congressional Democrats passed....including Obama. Sure Bush signed it, but his alternative was to veto it and shut down the government. Basically when you have Democrats controlling congress, you get over the top ridiculous fiscal irresponsibility instead of the normal ridiculous fiscal irresponsibility of Republicans.

9. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Agreed. Instead he starts talking about 400lb hackers and his 10 year old using computers....

Granville likes this.
  10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Personally not so sure I would trust these polls, really I'm not sure what polls even matter after the debate but....

Any ways, I doubt Trump moved the needle or gained any new supporters last night.

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

A. ending tax cuts for the wealthy is not trickle down - it's the opposite
    B. The emergency stimulus package is credited with saving the U.S., if not the world, from a great depression by the vast majority of economists.

It should be noted that the shortness of recovery time of major economies across the world from 2008 was directly linked to how large of a stimulus package enacted. The countries that went to austerity had the worst results.

None of this matters to you because ignorance is your savant.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

A. You failed to understand what I was saying and why I was saying it. (Hint: look at the comment I was responding to)

B. That doesn't explain the out of control spending....even though you always want to blame it on that.

Of course I know that I'm talking to a loud but ignorant leftist so talk about the national debt or yearly deficits will go over your head.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Facts do not matter with this guy Major, when you break his argument he responds in a Trump like fashion - with personal attacks. It's painful to educate someone like that.

Both you and I know the facts and the reality of the debt. The key isn't necessarily to reduce the debt (not going to happen) - but to prevent it from growing so it becomes a smaller and smaller relative amount as our economy grows. This is what most analysts think is the wise move.

It's also hilarious that people think we need to get to 0 debt - doing so would be disaster as there would be no freaking treasury market - and T-bills are needed for our economy to run.

14. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

15. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I didn't post any of the article......

16. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

how do you fall for this over and over again DD? Obamacare will reduce healthcare premiums by $2500 right? Everyone will get to keep their insurance right?

17. adoo

adoo Member

you're mis-informed.

Obama ended W's permanent tax-cut for millionaires; he has never increased taxes on non-millionaires;​

taxes is a most relevant discussion point, just look the last 4 administrations
    • Reagan first decreased tax. but the budget deficit escalated. then he increased taxes several times
    • Bill Clinton raised taxes; it help him to balance the budget by his 3rd year. it also helped to incubate the Silicon Valley
    • W gave everyone---including the millionaires---a permanent tax cut. that and the Iraq War were massive expenditure were unpaid for. W mis-handling of the economy led to a depression, in his last year in office, losing several 100, 000 jobs a month.
    • Obama inherited this economic mess, but managed to successfully bail out the financial industry.. the job losses and continued huge expenditures (W's permanent tax cut and Iraq War). continue to generate budget deficits
      • Obama did end the permanent tax cut for millionaires, and generated > 50 months of consecutive job increases. still not enough to chip away at the budget deficit

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

So you went from "Trump go his ass kicked so that REALLY means HE WON" to posting clownishly unscientific local news internet-clickpolls hot off the Trump forums.

How old are you? 18? 20 maybe?

19. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Stupid Sam is one of them stupid Liberals. Drudge had Trump winning 80-20. That's real American voters, not a bunch of immigrants, Mexicans, and terrorists like on that commie CNN poll. #TrumpLandslide

20. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

A disclaimer: Online reader polls like this one are not statistically representative of likely voters, and are not predictive of how the debate outcome will affect the election. They are a measure, however imprecise, of which candidates have the most energized online supporters, or most social media savvy fan base. After all, what they are counting is the number of Internet-devices controlled by people who want to vote.
    http://time.com/4506217/presidential-debate-clinton-trump-survey/