1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Cougars Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Chopped, Aug 29, 2011.

1. MystikArkitect

There's a lot of factors. UH is building him an indoor practice facility that he spearheaded. They put up their end of the bargain with the locker room renovation and the practice facility plus future football operations facility. I doubt this was done with just a handshake. Herman is building a legacy here, he is in definitely in the know when it comes to UH P5 invites and I'm sure conversations have been had that if UH gets into a P5 then he's not going anywhere.

His family and his wife mean the world to him and he really likes what this city offers them. I believe that ND and LSU are off his radar for that alone. USC and Austin offer amenities similar or superior to Houston.

The big question is the Big 12 and/or another P5 conference luring UH in. The facilities stuff is a big one and I can't imagine UH would commit to building things that cost 50x his salary unless he was committed to sticking around. I also can't imagine they commit to building these unless there was a certainty of greener pastures.

We shall see.

2. MystikArkitect

There's a lot of factors. UH is building him an indoor practice facility that he spearheaded. They put up their end of the bargain with the locker room renovation and the practice facility plus future football operations facility. I doubt this was done with just a handshake. Herman is building a legacy here, he is in definitely in the know when it comes to UH P5 invites and I'm sure conversations have been had that if UH gets into a P5 then he's not going anywhere.

His family and his wife mean the world to him and he really likes what this city offers them. I believe that ND and LSU are off his radar for that alone. USC and Austin offer amenities similar or superior to Houston.

The big question is the Big 12 and/or another P5 conference luring UH in. The facilities stuff is a big one and I can't imagine UH would commit to building things that cost 50x his salary unless he was committed to sticking around. I also can't imagine they commit to building these unless there was a certainty of greener pastures.

We shall see.

3. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

I'd think he would want control and at UH he can have whatever he wants as Fertitta is around. I'd imagine he would have to deal with a lot of boosters at the other schools. UH just needs to get into a P5 so he has a better path to a national championship so he can carve out his own legacy any way he wants. If he does leave for LSU UT or ND then its hard to fault him. I think they should throw money at Todd Orlando if that does happen because that defense is so good.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I'm not going to actively worry until Ohio State or UT open up.

5. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

UH needs to build those facilities if they want a P5 conference, no matter who the coach is.

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. Buck Turgidson

So you're passively worrying?

Enjoy the ride. Louisville/Clemson is going to be great to watch. Don't think a loss by Lou hurts them (or UH) much. Both those games will be electric-fun.

The more I hear Herman talk, the more I love that guy.

8. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I'm always going to be passively worried. Wouldn't you be after what happened with Briles and Sumlin?

Actively worried = spending waking hours thinking about when he's leaving, where he's going, and who is replacing him.

9. Buck Turgidson

Tell me you don't know his license plate #

The Texans special teams coach might be available sooner than I'd like to admit, just a thought.

10. the shark

the shark Member

The only position that I know Herman would take is Ohio St (once Urban leaves).

One thing that a lot of people don't take into consideration is how much Herman's wife loves HTown. He has young kids, and he's bounced around quite a bit over the past 15 yrs as well and from I've been told he and his wife want some stability right now for their kids. Much like Stoops and his wife have done in Norman.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I just think Herman has too sweet of a gig in Houston right now to seriously consider jumping into a pit of vipers in Baton Rouge and taking the LSU job. The BS politics and booster nonsense that goes on there can't be appealing. Who knows though, perhaps they just throw so much money at him that it won't matter.

12. the shark

the shark Member

He's not going to LSU (IMO).

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed.

14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Just LOL at the Coog fans that don't think Herman would jump to LSU if offered the job. Your coaches don't exactly have a history of staying around, and Herman just arrived not too long ago... The question for Herman is whether he thinks he could get the UT-Austin or USC-West job...in which case he might tell LSU to go away.

15. the shark

the shark Member

Thank you for this valuable comment.

16. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

By the end of the year there could be several high profile jobs available
    LSU, Notre Dame, USC, Texas, A&M. No reason to jump into it.

17. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Briles and Sumlin are predictors of Tom Herman's future plans because....?

18. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

LSU is a good enough job that it makes me nervous he could take it, but I could also see him turning it down just because of all the crap you have to deal with if you coach there.

19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Right not\w vegas is saying there is a 50/50 shot he is going to LSU.

20. Newlin

Newlin Member

What rumors is he talking about? I haven't heard anyone say HE was interested in the LSU job. I've only heard his name mentioned as a possible candidate. I don't see where journalists are being irresponsible.