1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas now a restricted free agent, no qualifying offer for Terrence Jones

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Jun 30, 2016.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You're in the GARM. rockHEAD rules apply.

pics or it didn't happen

2. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I was talking to a buddy the other day

3. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Let me take at shot at what's going on...

Everything will be crystal clear soon just be patient, DMo got his money already.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

so WTf is going on? Rockets trying to make a trade, which will determine how much they offer to DMo?

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Either you spill it or we will continue to call you out on your lies.

DD

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

probably a ballpoint. you don't even know what an nice pen looks like bozo

[​IMG]

7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Guys, word on the street is DMo is trying out for the Cowboys, his back is definitely better than Romos... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I love this forum.. but 77 pages of nothing

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

this is a holdout for a larger offer, plain and simple.

dmo has limited options remaining:

1) sign the QO and bet on a bigger payday next season, but miss out on getting paid now.
    2) agree to some low-ball long-term contract that morey probably offered after seeing dmo miss out on the free agency frenzy.
    3) continue the hold out through training camp (maybe even part of the pre-season) until the rockets blink and morey ups his offer.

i think options 2 and 3 only hurt dmo. option 2 would hurt him financially. option 3 wouldn't work because missing training camp or more could hurt his spot in the rotation and then compromise his big payday next summer. option 3 also wont work because morey doesn't need to up his offer to resign dmo, he can just wait to match any offer dmo can find.

so its in dmo's best interest to sign before training camp starts, learn the new system and earn his minutes early in hopes of scoring a bigger check next summer. that leaves only 1 option, he will sign the QO sometime before training camp starts in little more than a week.

1 person likes this.
  9. heypartner

Except for the whole part that Morey does not want him to sign the QO. That is not a contract Morey wants, since it comes with a no-trade clause.

It's not a horrible contract, but not close to ideal, either. So, Morey has incentives to negotiate. If Morey blinks, it will be before Oct 1, in order to prevent the signing of the QO.

I'm not so sure your three options are a very good definition of the situation...or at best, incomplete.

10. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

If so the only conclusion I can draw is that basketballholic is D-Mo's agent because no one else would believe there is a larger offer out there that everyone has just forgotten to tinder.

Maybe D-Mo will be spectacular this year. That's a total possibility.

And maybe he won't get off the bench. That's a total possibility too.

And Detroit shouldn't be sued for recognizing that.

If D-Mo wants to play in the NBA this year he has one option, I'd say. That's to sign the qualifying offer. If he believes in himself he'll ask for a short deal and the team will probably be happy to accommodate that request as his back is a mystery to everyone until it isn't. Then, ideally, he gets better, sets the league on fire, and resigns as a Houston Rocket or nets us something nice in a trade.

That isn't going to happen before he shows the NBA his back isn't an issue.

11. opticon

opticon Member

Nothing goes down before his Instagram says he is in Houston.
    Lol

12. heypartner

If he signs the QO, and "he gets better, set the league on fire" you really should get it out of your mind that we net something in trade. He can't be traded without his consent, and will become a UFA with a chip on his shoulder for Morey not offering him a contract he was willing to sign. He will bolt. And with a rising Salary Cap, teams don't need the help of SnTs to land a good DMo.

I find it odd that ppl actually think we can get a 1yr QO out of DMo to make him prove to us he can play, then get a healthy, quality DMo to sign with us after all this.

13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

wouldn't be the first incomplete i received in my life lol

i think those 3 options aren't incomplete or incorrect but rather broad strokes. accept what you have, settle for less than you're worth, or hold out for more.

its true that morey doesn't want him to sign the QO, but he will also refuse to pay more than he thinks dmo is worth. dmo will have to choose between morey's best offer or the QO, and i think he would rather just sign the QO because holding out for more money, while missing training camp or preseason, will serve to paint him in a bad light and later hurt his ability to earn bigger bucks. he tried to hold out, im sure he threatened to just sign the QO, but if morey isn't budging (and looking at today's date, i don't think he is) then dmo is only left with 1 good option. its not the best option for dmo or morey but that's the result of the stalemate.

i agree with all of this, but dmo isn't worried about what's best for the rockets. dmo is worried about himself. what's best for him (if morey won't raise his offer) is to sign the QO and leave after next year. he probably wants to be a starter and paid as such, and neither is looking like it will happen here.

morey will have to decide to lock into a long term contract that he thinks is overpaying, or accept the probability of losing dmo next year. knowing morey, i think he'd rather let dmo walk after this season.

#1533 smoothie, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  14. heypartner

It's probably not just about money, but also length of contract. I'm willing to bet Morey will offer DMo $15m for a 2+1 TO, if he hasn't already...or maybe $12m for a 1+1 TO.

Those could look mighty fine compared to a QO for $4.4m. Yet, still a huge amount less than others got this summer, which still make them hard for DMo to swallow. Those numbers could be on the table now, and DMo is trying to go up from there, or to eliminate the Team Option/Unguaranteed years.

So, in "Broad Brush" terms...the current offer might be measurably better than the QO right now. And DMo is holding out for more...but might never sign that QO, rather just using it as a bluff.

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Sooooo...........:confused:

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A 2 or 3 year deal with the last year a team option, HP? Morey should offer Donuts a $12 million a year 2 year deal with the 2nd year a player option, in my opinion, and he should jump on it. I think he's worth the risk. If he turns out to have a productive season and plays most of the games, particularly in the post-season (this team seems to have an inordinate number of players out with the "i" word in the post-season - drives me crazy), then the contract is a steal and we have "goodwill" with DMo if Morey decides to offer him a new deal.

17. heypartner

whoa, I meant a starting offer of $12m total for 1+1, team option. Did you say $12m per year?

Well, whatever the number is, I do like the goodwill angle of the PO.

anyhoot: I was just throwing out numbers to say how the current offer could be higher dollars than the QO, but still something DMo doesn't want.

18. basketballholic

I am not DMc's agent. Yule C.

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

haven't kept up with the garm threads lately, what exactly have you been saying about dmo/rubio with this you'll see? is it that dmo's going out in a S&T and we're getting rubio back? and is bev going out too?

20. topfive

topfive CF OG

Ball-aholic hasn't actually predicted anything at all; he just keeps telling everyone that he knows something we don't know and that we'll see he was right when that mysterious thing finally happens.

He's the ClutchFans equivalent of the guy who tells you on Monday that he predicted all along that the 30-point underdogs would win the Super Bowl.
    <BR>