1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alex Bregman called up...... for real!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jul 24, 2016.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Then I'd start with Springer.

I think Altuve is what he is. Could it be better? Not likely...but why would it need to be? If he's become a consistent .330/15 hr/90 rbi hitter while playing an above average 2b...that's a HOF player. I don't think they can trade him. But a package that starts with Springer and prospects for Sale? I'd think they'd at least listen.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Altuve hit .313 last year and this will be his first year to crack 90 RsBI. At this point, his standard is very, very good - but, beyond that, I don't know how much of this year we can assume is now the new normal. He's looked more and more lately like the Altuve many of us pegged him to be a few years ago: a wildly undisciplined swinger (.185/.229/.338/.567 with 10 Ks and 4 BBs in his last 16 games). Hopefully, it's just a really bad stretch.

Two issues here: 1) if they deal Springer, that'll create a 3rd hole in the OF so I don't think he's going anywhere; 2) the White Sox are not dealing Chris Sale for a package built around George Springer. Very nice player; but not "I'm parting with my ace" nice.

If you want Sale, some combination featuring Altuve, Bregman, Correa and/or McCullers (assuming health) will have to be offered.

#342 Hey Now!, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  3. Hey Now!

Yeah, and depending on how the season finishes out, you may be looking at the AL Cy Young with Sale.

If they deal Sale, it'll be for a monster deal; they're not going to settle for $.60 on the dollar.

I think Altuve *will* be productive into his 30s; but his 30s come much sooner than Bregman's and/or Correa's. And I sure hope the Astros don't make baseball decisions based on silly stuff like "face of" crap.

Correa is 21 amd playing his first full ML season; other than a slight drop in power, his numbers look almost identical to his numbers last year. He may not have gotten better - but status quo is pretty doggone good.

And... he's 21!

4. conquistador#11

people that didn't like altuve to begin with will always try to belittle what the guy does, which is keep the offense afloat. Hitting the way he hits isn't easy. If altuve stays healthy, he will be a HOF. You just can't bring in a kemp and replace that.
    The core is cheap just spend on a pro hitter and a no.2 arm. doesn't have to be a sale.

They're not going to trade Trout. that's a team that will burn money just to watch the pretty smoke.

5. Hey Now!

Agreed; which is why sustainability is a concern for some of us. The Altuve that demonstrated improved plate discipline and patience for most of this year can chase batting titles. But the free-swinger has reared its ugly head these past two weeks.

You wouldn't be replacing him with Kemp; you'd move Bregman to 2B; Gurriel can play 3B.

Yeah, as I said... I wouldn't touch what i think is going to be a very dangerous line-up next year. It was just an exercise in "what if..." IMO, Bregman and Correa are untouchable so if Sale were made available...

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Angels aren't hurting for cash.

They need several prospects AND in their prime stars... not just to get younger and save money.

7. Hey Now!

BTW, don't conflate criticism with not liking... especially when Altuve has very obviously worked to improve the one thing we were criticizing. He's having the year he's having, in large part, because he's developed much greater plate discipline and patience, which is *exactly* what a lot of us didn't see from him two years ago. He's on pace to walk 61 times this year, which nearly tops his total the previous two years combined (69).

8. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Correa gives you a top 20 war player.

You can have Kyle Tucker.

You can have 30m in cap space to go sign some more talent/starting pitching.

Angels are screwed.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its a good thing that 2.5+ years outweighs 2 weeks.

Its also funny that people are making the same presumptions on Bregman (future MVP!, trade correa!) also based on the last 2 weeks.

There's absolutely nothing about the last 2 weeks that should kindle any sort of Altuve trade talk. Bats get heavy in August/September... hell, he was pretty awful in the playoffs last year too. He took a huge leap forward this year in his power/walk numbers... and by all metrics, its entirely sustainable. I'm excited to see him continue to get better (and possibly avoid this now annual 2-3 week slump).

They're going to need to part with younger-on-the-cusp prospects prior to them losing their luster.... that includes Paulino, Martes, Fisher, Cameron. Those are probably going to be the type of high ceiling players that would even allow a team like the White Sox or D-backs to consider trading their under-contract top pitchers.

#349 Nick, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Cap space? What on earth are you talking about?

The Angels have plenty of money to throw at players to surround Trout. If they trade him for prospects, it would probably take a lot.... A LOT.... plus more MLB players.

11. Hey Now!

I can't fathom... well, why they'd deal Trout. But if they did, I can't fathom what they'd want....

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its why it would never happen. Maybe in a salary-cap world, they find a reason to make it happen... but not in baseball.

They don't need money, there are no more marketable/star players than he is, and their biggest issue (poor farm system) isn't going to be fixed with just one trade. It will take a few years of drafting well... much like the Astros had to go through.

13. Hey Now!

But it's not 2.5 years; he's been a disciplined, patient hitter for all of about five months.

He was the second overall pick and consensus best minor league prospect who has hit at every level, including MLB for what's now been nearly 6 weeks, not 2 (.295/.346/.534/.880 since 8/1). His resume is much bigger than 2 weeks. Also, no one said, "future MVP!" - I'm simply suggesting he could replace Altuve in a situation in which the Astros dealt Altuve (which they're not going to do).

Let's stop this before it gets carried away... this was nothing more than a "what if" exercise that began with Paillio suggesting that any deal for Sale would have to include Bregman. (Well, actually, it began with tmac suggesting we deal Correa for Trout.)

IF the Astros wanted to deal for Sale (or Trout), I'm suggesting that I'd deal Altuve before I'd deal Bregman or Correa. It's not a call to deal Altuve, slander his season, or anything like that. It's a fun exercise, nothing more.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But he hasn't simply been a free-swinging/flailing mess (that he's been the last 2 weeks) prior to this year... those batting titles were real.

His best tool remains to be his contact ability. He's now supplemented that with improving his power... and improving his walk rate. Even without the walks, improving his power to supplement the contact would still make him an extremely valuable/productive hitter.

Walks also are a product of the improved power... pitchers just can't get him out with borderline stuff anymore and he knows that. IN many ways, his extreme contact ability helped pave the way for how pitchers pitch to him now (i.e. - they'll take their chances with somebody else beating them).

The main point is that I don't think this was simply a flipped switch or a fluke of nature... this did happen pretty organically based on the last 2+ years, and I fully think that he can and will continue to improve in this regard.

15. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I'm struggling to even respond to this debate. Let me just say I have 10000x more faith in Altuve's last three YEARS over his last three WEEKS.

I mean....

16. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Seriously, I can't believe this is a debate right now. I wouldn't trade Altuve for Sale and why would the White Sox want to do that anyway? It would have to be a one for one deal...no way would you give up more...and the Sox are going to be looking for a bunch of players/prospects in return. Altuve isn't going to solve their problems and if you'd even consider trading Altuve plus some prospect(s) for Sale you are certified insane. Not to mention pitchers in general don't age as well and are much riskier injury wise.

17. Hey Now!

Title... not titles.

Strike that; reverse it.

He's always made good contact, frankly, because he has a compact, concise swing that limits his ability to drive the ball. Putting barrel on the ball with such consistency requires sacrificing long strides and big swings, the hallmark of most power hitters. Unless... he's more successfully working counts and getting better pitches to hit.

So, no - increased power is not leading to more walks; more walks (ie greater patience) is leading to more balls he can drive.

I don't think it's a coincidence that his power has increased as has his patience; they're connected. Nor have these past few power-less weeks (2 2Bs; 2 HRs since August 21) been a giant surprise, given that he's regressed (for whatever reason - fatique, injury) and become far less patient.

18. Hey Now!

That's not the debate... which do you have more faith in the NEXT three years: Altuve, Bregman or Correa?

Honestly, I thought that'd be fun to kick around after I heard Paillio mention any deal for Sale would have to include Bregman, and then came here and saw tmac suggest trading Correa for Trout.

IF you have to deal one of them, which one would you deal? For me, Altuve is the easy choice: older and, while he may be able to sustain it, he's probably peaked whereas Correa and Bregman (likely) have much better days ahead.

19. Hey Now!

The market for pitchers is insane; if Sale is dealt, it'll be for a boatload of major talent. The Sox would not take Altuve straight-up; they'd want Altuve + McCullers plus a top line pitching prospect. I wouldn't do that - but they'd be foolish to settle for anything less.

20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Uhhhh, if Houston trades Altuve to the White Sox, they better get Sale AND Quintana back in return.