1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Have any other Exes life members tried to purchase the day-of, face-value tickets on their website? I know it's an astronomical longshot, but I thought I'd log on Sunday morning to see if anybody is just trying to get rid of Notre Dame tickets and not gouge a fellow life member.

Again, I know it'll probably be impossible, but it could also be helpful to know for future, less in-demand games.

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

In my opinion the face value of those tickets are a gouge.

3. mtbrays

Supporting Member

Really? For a game in which the cheap seats are being resold for $400?

4. Bob Barker 007

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">IT'S GAME WEEK!<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/HookEm?src=hash">#HookEm</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/LetsRide?src=hash">#LetsRide</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Believe?src=hash">#Believe</a> <a href="https://t.co/y4IzkRhsuN">pic.twitter.com/y4IzkRhsuN</a></p>&mdash; UT Sports Video (@40AcresFilms) <a href="https://twitter.com/40AcresFilms/status/770271890002681856">August 29, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

supply and demand.

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

No doubt. Not too many chances to see UT vs Notre Dame.

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I'm not sure what you are implying. But yes even before they were sold out and at face value they were very expensive in my opinion.

This is coming from someone that likes to travel often though. I would rather take that money and put it towards traveling somewhere internationally. I've seen enough college football games already in my life. Although I did want to take my son, at the moment he wouldn't know the difference between Notre Dame, Dallas Cowboys, or Grambling. So yeah

8. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Looking forward to seeing this defense. It really should be the best defense in the big 12 and one of the tops in the country. A lot of talent on that side of the ball.

9. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

.......wat? UT finished as the 106th ranked defense out of 128 teams. It was literally the worst performing defense in the 101 year history of the program. Do you really think they could be one of the best in the country? I'm not trying to be condescending. I'm genuinely asking.

#7329 Brando2101, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  10. ItsMyFault

Yes... they have the talent for it. If they aren't at least the best in the big 12, that's all on Strong. They underperformed considerably last season given the talent level. Strong is a defensive minded coach, so there shouldn't be any excuses. He's got a lot of young talent on that side of the ball. I don't expect it to happen in the first game, but I do want to see some flashes of what's to come the next few years with this group.

Is it really that farfetched?

11. Bob Barker 007

They might have underperformed considering the talent, but they arguably performed in line with expectations considering how young the secondary was. I'm not really a fan of total defense statistics considering how fast the Big 12 is on offense, and how fast UT was with three-and-outs last year. Bill Connelly of SB Nation has Texas's Defensive S&P+ rating, which adjusts for pace among other things, at 68th in the country. While a mediocre to bad performance, it wasn't a catastrophic defense. Also, an adjustment needs to be made for games post-TCU last year. Looking at those numbers, the S&P rating is surely in the top 50, and that doesn't account for numerous injuries by the end of the season.

12. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

That hype video contained all of last season's highlights lol.

13. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

There is no excuse for how the defense played last year. None. They were not fielding a JV team.

I think you are getting really swept up with the momentum of the last recruiting class when analyzing talent. It's a great class but they usually take at least a year to develop and make a difference. The previous year recruiting class was good on defense but it wasn't jaw dropping.

I do not think it's far fetched that the defense would improve a lot and even be at the top of the conference. However, I would not say that it should be the best in the conference and one of the best in the country based on talent this year since the new talent is still young. They should just never be as bad as they were last year. One of the big reasons IMO was that Charlie tried to play underclassman as much as possible since they were his guys. It makes sense if you are planning for the future but it costs points game to game.

You're right. 68th is a completely different story ;)

Guys, it was the worse defense in school history. You can't try to spin that. The spread has been around in the big 12 for 20 years and the big 12 isn't the only conference that plays it. And no, an adjustment should NOT be made post or pre TCU unless you are going to analyze the defenses/seasons for every other team in college football and make the same factors. Every team has injuries.

14. Buck Turgidson

It's like him saying "this is the best Cubs team since 1908."

Their secondary will be fine, they have to find DT who can hold the middle and someone on the outside LB/DE who can get after the QB. If they can find someone else to play in the middle, I'd love for them to put Malik on the edge, they've talked about it.

15. Bob Barker 007

I'll provide a simpler explanation. Why don't you go watch Manny Diaz's defense in 2013. That is the worst UT defense of all time.

16. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

What? That'll take a hell of a turn around from last year's performance... Even with the talent...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QMqYrP6fIXg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. ItsMyFault

They could've played a lot better than that IMO. There were a lot of times where the defense just gave up. I get that the team is young, but at the same time, a lot of it seemed to fundamentals that these defenders lacked. That's on the coaching.

I agree that there were no excuses. I probably am getting swept up with the class. I just expect a lot when the coach is supposed to be known to be one of the better defensive minds in all of college football. It still has not shown yet on the field though. I do agree though, it'll take another year before this years class really makes it's mark. Though a guy like Malik is making me believe some of these other individual defenders can maybe shine their freshman season too.

I just expect a lot out of this coaching staff, which is why I hope that they can at least be the best in the big 12. The big 12 is an offense first conference, and there aren't too many teams focusing on defense. Yeah he did play a lot of young guys last year, so I hope that pays dividends this year now with some of those returning guys.

It's on the coaching staff to utilize the talent out there. I'll give you that saying tops in the country may be going a bit far, but being atop the big 12 as a defensive unit is something this team should be able to achieve. Charlie has gotten so many passes, we need to see some results on the side of the ball that he is supposed to be great at.

That really was one of the worst defenses I've ever seen. Manny was awful.

18. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Some of you clearly haven't stocked up on the proper pre-season refreshments.

[​IMG]

19. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I'm not saying it's probable, but it's wild to me to see a TCU fan doubt the possibility of a one-year turnaround.

Case McCoy and Tyrone Swoopes beat TCU in Ft. Worth 30-7 one year before TCU went 12-1.

20. mtbrays

Supporting Member

Sorry about that, I think we were both confused. I agree with you on the whole. Ticket prices are why I've largely stayed away from DKR the last few seasons. Colt got hurt in the BCS championship game during my junior year and there hasn't been much to cheer for since. But, I do want to see Notre Dame in person and will play into this money grab like a sucker with the face value tickets I was able to score yesterday.