1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it Rigged?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by theimpossibles1, Jan 5, 2015.

?

Do you think the NBA is rigged?

1. Yes

260 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. No

103 vote(s)
    28.4%
  1. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

game 1 vs portland with rockets shooting no fts in the first half says....DURRRRRRR
    of course its rigged. to what extent i dunno. i assume different factors come into play

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Not 100% rigged but the NBA definitely encourages things along certain paths once events are moving in a certain direction.

3. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

I meant that the league isn't choosing specific teams, like the Lakers or Warriors or Spurs, to rig it for. Not that teams with superstars don't get benefit from the superstar system. Obviously they do.

4. OTMax

OTMax Member

Of course it is, even in favour of us at times. You think the Warriors would have this record if they didn't allow them to basically set moving screens and picks all the time? How Howard is officiated? How Yao was officiated? These referees bet money and definitely have the power and green light from the NBA league office to manipulate games.

5. slestack11

slestack11 Member

I don't see how any Rockets fan can complain about the NBA being rigged because Harden shoots more free throws than anyone? If anything, the NBA is helping the Rockets as much as possible yet there is no logical explanation why they would. It makes no sense unless it involves gambling. Harden may be the best flopper which helps the refs justify their deliberate calls.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think it is rigged for the home team vs road team.... and some big franchises like LA gets more whistling, superstars get more whistling in their favor

Most the calls even itself out in the course of events

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Rigged by the league itself? Probably not. They're too ****ing proud of themselves. Rigged by external factors (bettors, mafia, etc?) because the NBA does nothing to curtail it? Absolutely. They're too ****ing proud of themselves.

8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Oh what the **** ever. Harden gets free throws because he gets fouled. There's no deeper explanation, and there's no grand scheme to get him to the line 15 times a game. He earns those fouls, and THEN SOME, because he NEVER gets the call when the game actually matters. You're a biased Lakers/Clippers homer, and yet you talk about flopping?? Get the **** out and go to Lakersground or Clippersground if you can't even admit that Dwight's ejection tonight was total and complete horse****.

9. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Tim Donaghy wasn't an anomaly..that's all I'm saying.

10. OTMax

OTMax Member

The replay center is actually the worst front to seem transparant. I've not seen a single bad call overruled in game or a decision made by them to speed the game up. They are a pure waste of money to please the dumb masses.

11. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Thread = Butthurt fans of teams who don't win championships.

I think we get alot of favors in our way, especially with Harden. Don't get me wrong there are bad calls and home-cooking, but for the most part I think the league is better officiated now than it used to be. Officiating was a quarter of a mile past terrible.

12. VanityHalfBlack

Isn't it always the case?

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

WWNBA

Rocket River

14. rockets13champs

I dont think its rigged but i do believe the refs are told to ref a certain way. Like to call more tightly for rockets or more loose for thunder

15. hakeemthagreat

After watching the OKC game I'm not sure how you can say the league isn't somewhat fixed. The league protects certain players, and yes that includes James Harden. But certain players REALLY get protection like Lebron, Curry, KD etc..If a subpar teams blowing out GS, Cleveland or OKC, expect some very odd, weird behavior from the refs

16. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Yes, if D12 was still a Laker or played in NY......Hack-a-player would be outlawed and players are warned to give in bounding players room or get a technical. Fouling Capela out of bounds sux to high heaven.

17. HardenTime

HardenTime Member

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1473658#start_here

So watching the Olympics and FIBA officials made me even more convinced that the NBA is much more of an entertainment product than a true sporting competition. The NBA players on Team USA were utterly shocked when traveling was actually called against them and barreling into a defender with the ball tucked under your wing like a fullback at the 1 yard line was not called a defensive foul; in other words, the calls were actually called as written, regardless of who was committing them and/or playing defense. The NBA has sold "superstar players" as their major brand identity for so long now, that we as fans just accept it; often times we hear, "he's a rookie, he has to earn that call", or "their not gonna call that on him, he's a superstar", why is this acceptable? Why do we as fans put up with this? For all intents and purposes the NBA is WWE with a ball and we just blindly go along with it. It's over 9 months before the playoffs and I can see with almost certainty that it will be GSW and Cleveland in the finals, just as I said this time last year. We all know this because it's what we expect of the NBA, selling, marketing and promoting the teams with the superstars, via officials making subtle, and sometimes not so subtle calls that will favor the superstar teams. last year the 4 division winners in the NFL were not the division winners the year before, due in large part to the NFL actually selling the product on the field and not the superstars inside the jerseys.

Before every MLB, NHL or NFL season fans of almost every team can say, "this may be the year" and they could be right, in the NBA no such hope exists. If you're a fan of Charlotte or Denver, or Indiana, your team has no chance whatsoever of being in the finals in your lifetime, unless they acquire a marketable superstar. So what's the point, honestly? if we say, "because we love basketball", I ask you, is this really basketball? I would argue again, it's more WWE with a ball.

Interesting discussion

1 person likes this.
  18. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Do not worry electronic referees are coming soon enough, you can have perfect refereed games in prob 10-20 years.

19. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

The fact that people are arguing in favor of the NBA is hilarious.

We literally have houndreds of examples of refs that are perfectly capable of making the correct call at an acceptable rate.

therefor, we can deduce that, because good refs exist, and the NBA doesn't have them, something else is happening.

What could that something else be? The list is very, very short.

20. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I has to be rigged. Every announcer in the NBA says rookies haven't earned calls and that stars get the benefit of the doubt. None of them are talked to or fined. To me, this is just the beginning, but rigged, to me, means that refs don't just call what they see. If more goes into calls, then it's rigged.