1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rio 2016: Women's 800m medalists - Castor Semenya

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by sugrlndkid, Aug 22, 2016.

?

Should women like Castor Semenya be allowed to compete in female sports?

1. Yes... She's a lady. Masculine, but a lady...

47.6%
  2. No... She has the Y Chromosome!

33.3%
  3. "I identify as an attack helicopter"

19.0%
  1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Say what?

2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Are you being serious right now, is that why it's on every banned list ever created for doping.

It's to the point where Testosterone replacement therapy is banned

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Sweet r****d 4 2 strikes again.

2 people like this.
  4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is helps build muscle if taken for long periods but in terms of increasing athletic performance in women there is a lot of debate on whether it increases endurance or speed as the increased muscle mass is harder on the joints and has other negative effects.

Testosterone doesn't impact you overnight - you have to take it continuously for an extended period.

But anything that has the potential to impact performance is usually banned whether or not there is scientific consensus.

5. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Testosterone has a myriad of effects...But what allows males to have a higher MUSCLE/BONE mass and strength is TESTOSTERONE. Increased muscle mass, strength and stronger bones and translate in physical ability. Please stop being idiotic... Sweet Lou 4 2. You embrace males everywhere...

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

embarrass...

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

She should be allowed to compete, feel somewhat differently about people who simply identify as female, but honestly only if they competed before as men. Prejudice here, but really don't want to see some separate all herm/trans division.

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

As a deeply concerned CF BBS SJW, I only care about how they wipe in a restroom.

9. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

Thanks for this explanation! Where did you find this, if I may ask?

1 person likes this.
  10. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

She should absolutely be allowed to compete. This is a naturally occurring phenomenon. She's not cheating.

And like it or not, the general spirit of what Sweet Lou 42 is saying is correct: the science is very unclear on this issue. There's a reason why the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) ruled in favor of athletes affected by this type of scrutiny. The IAAF, International Association of Athletics Federations (aka the international governing body for T&F), had two years to make their case. Two years to provide scientific evidence conclusively linking high levels of testosterone in females with athletic performance. They were unable to do so.

She's not cheating. She's not trying to circumvent the rules. And guess what? She should NOT have to risk her health to undergo potentially dangerous hormone-reducing drug therapy programs or surgical procedures to alter her anatomy.

Try to have some compassion here. This is somebody people routinely call "it". She's harassed and ridiculed relentlessly anytime people decide they want to start caring about T&F (usually only once every 4 years). All for something that's of no fault of her own. Intimate and personal details of her life are routinely talked about. I mean, my goodness, this is a human being.

Bottom line: all Olympic athletes are in some way, shape or form out of the ordinary. Atypical. Unique. This is natural. She's not cheating. Leave her alone.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

It basically impacts you overnight. I took andro back when it was over the counter and being taken by every baseball player in America. I had no real idea what I was really taking and all the side effects etc. Long story made short I went from 155 lbs to 175 lbs in 3 weeks. They have also proven that some of the strength gains from taking steroids are permanent.

You should try to read a little bit about steroids and testosterone.

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Apparently she has higher testosterone levels than the average man. I don't think she should be allowed to compete with other women. This is basically taking advantage of a long standing notion of what it is to be a woman. If women had testosterone levels on par with men there likely wouldn't be separate events for men and women.

13. baller4life315

More misinformation.

What you're referring to is leaked medical information in which its estimated her testosterone levels are 3x that of the average female. The difference matters.

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

That should be your username.

actually he was comparing it to dudes. you just changed it to girls because that is what you read about in the NYtimes. What was her level compared to the "average man" Dr. Scientist?

#34 Bandwagoner, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

16. baller4life315

We both know he/she was referring to the widely discussed leaked info of her testosterone levels compared to those of the average female. It's at the root of the debate. Don't play dumb.

I'm not a scientist, I'm just an avid T&F fan that's been following this issue closely for years. It's a lot more complex than the lazy "more testosterone = improved performance" theory you're pushing. Based upon what I've read, researchers have been unable to prove there's a link in females.

17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I know what I was referring to in my post. The high testosterone rule has been in effect since 2009. The rule was put in effect because of her.

The IAAF ruled that women with high testosterone levels would have to bring those levels down below the normal range for men, either by taking testosterone-suppressing drugs or by having their internal testes surgically removed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She apparently did do something to lower her testosterone levels because she's never come close to her 1:55 time in 2009 until after they struck down the high testosterone rule. Did she just magically get 6 years faster all of a sudden after the ruling? She won't answer whether she took medication to lower her testosterone but the times don't lie.

The CAS decision may affect the approach the IAAF and International Olympic Committee took with Semenya in 2009. That’s when the lean, muscular, deep-voiced South African won the world championships 800 in a startling 1:55:45, much to the dismay of several runners-up. Global track officials decided to review the situation, and appointed a n expert panel to determine what, if anything, should be done.

The panel opted for what might be called “the high testosterone rule.” That is, if a woman athlete has high testosterone and active testosterone receptors, the woman can be prohibited from competing unless and until she follows medical procedures to lower her testosterone.

This is apparently what Semenya did in order to continue racing, though the exact details are unknown due to confidentiality and medical privacy. Semenya hasn’t dipped back into the 1:55s since 2009, though she ran 1:56 to 1:58 every year between 2010 and 2013. Last year, her best was 2:02:66; this year, it stands at 2:04:19.

http://www.runnersworld.com/elite-r...ing-on-women-with-naturally-high-testosterone

On Saturday night, Caster Semenya won the 800m in 1min 55.28sec. It was a personal best, a new South African national record, and the fifth-fastest time in Olympic history.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/aug/21/caster-semenya-wins-gold-but-faces-scrutiny

#37 CometsWin, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  18. Exiled

Exiled Member

My .0002 cents , athletes do not need to take extra dosage of testosterone supplements than average population , 500mg of zinc or an oyster meal can do it better naturally ,no secret magic there.

too much intake can work in a negative way , affect flexibility ,glands ,thyroid or can even trigger tumours. Her case is so special , premature to judge her medical condition , she is naturally at high risk due to dual gender issues ,hormonal imbalance is always an issue.

For someone who mentioned steroids permanent results, it's true to some extent in regards to bones structure, but when it comes to tissues ,it bring the wrong fiber type despite the striated appearance

19. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

What if they're born with testes?

20. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Her entire life this woman has testes. You could say that she was "taking" testosterone continuously for an extended period.