1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO] The Night Of

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheresTheDagger, May 2, 2016.

1. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

lol, I had to fast forward through that scene because it was just so corn ball.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Another weird scene was the cougar playing footsie with Stone. He's come such a long way.

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

It probably sets up some appeal so he can get off.

4. heypartner

Puts a whole new meaning on the phrase, "getting your client off" ... some kinda "lawyer, client privilege"

5. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I mostly agree with this. I enjoyed the early part of the series and have really come to hate the second half.

6. Chamillionaire

<IFRAME SRC="http://vodlocker.com/embed-z0bo925f97by-640x360.html" FRAMEBORDER=0 MARGINWIDTH=0 MARGINHEIGHT=0 SCROLLING=NO WIDTH=640 HEIGHT=360 allowfullscreen='true'></IFRAME>

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

If this show was a 12 episode season I would just quit it. Since there's only one episode left I'll labor through it. Really, really disappointed. It had so much going for it especially from the writing perspective but it seems like I'm watching the same episode every week. The jail scenes are just bland and over done, and that roll my eyes kiss. Cornballed that one it for some reason. It was pointless and seemed forced for the script, no idea why this scene wasn't cut unless it has something to do with the ending.

8. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

The lady probably has to recuse herself from being his lawyer... and Stone has to finish it off.

9. Air Langhi

They copied the lawyer relationship from the British series. Why the heck are so many of the actors British?

10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I didn't quite get why he would have lied through omission about not telling his defense lawyer about throwing the can full of soda at another student...in addition to that other incident where he threw a student down the stairs? She was completely shocked by that obviously when the witness she was questioning said it. It makes no sense to try to cover up that one incident because it was going to come out obviously. If he's not forthcoming about that, then what else is he hiding? I'm not sure if she kissed him before or after that. I think after...which is even more strange because he seems more guilty at that moment than innocent.

11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

That pretty much sums it up

12. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

I find the lawyer woman more attractive than the murdered woman. Not sure why.

13. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I can't make up my mind if they were implying that the other murder victim Box was investigating at the start of the episode was possibly murdered by the same killer. Or if he was just saying that her race was the only reason it wasn't being covered like the white girl.

14. heypartner

The accompanying cop also referred to it as yet another Uptown case, presumably comparing it to a Brownstone case.

I think Box is starting to realize he is retiring on a brutal case on which he has doubts. That scene, plus the defending atty telling him they found two other witnesses that he (the great and thorough Box) didn't know about, and his pensive moment alone after his retirement party and add those to the scene a few episodes back about the DA remarking the girl getting in the cab shows he had Murder 1 "Laying in Wait" intent but Box's saying he preferred if Nas crossed lanes to pull-over to pick her up -- seems they are possibly focusing on his doubts.

Will he do something to clear his conscience about doubt on his last, grisly case before retirement. How can he even do that, since it appears he is done testifying, and it would be too much for me to have Box find the murderer in one episode, so maybe it just ends with him doing nothing about his doubt, as a statement about the system.

15. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

An hour and a half finale, hopefully it starts off with a bang and doesn't stop.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

THe court room scenes have been a mess all around, maybe "average law & order episode" in terms of quality and in terms of realism, it's a disaster.

Lawyers bumble through leading/not really questions in extended monologues, don't do anything to establish context, make a seemingly random chain of arguments and ask questions to which they don't know the answer, while hunching over t hte witness stand and mumbling, and then make no effort to rebut any damaging testimony.

The judge is playing pokemon go somewhere, I don't think he has done a single thing. There are no sidebars or conferences or anything, nobody ever tries to exclude evidence or object to the absurd questiong. I guess they're tryign to keep it moving but it comes across as a disjointed mess.

1 person likes this.
  17. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

So it seems like most of us are in agreement here that this show has really struggled. Which begs the question...how was this show so well received? Is it because most of the critics only watched the first episode before reviewing? I'd always assumed they just got advanced screening of a good portion of the season.

18. Newlin

Newlin Member

Thank you. I'm not a lawyer, but I've seen a few actual trials, and I find it annoying when I watch these TV trials and it so far from what really happens in a court room. The prosecutor standing over the witness stand and mumbling really had me rolling my eyes. The jury, the Judge, and the court reporter all have to hear every word that is spoken during the trial.

This series had so much potential, but it turns out it is nothing more than what you would see on one of the major broadcast networks.

19. Air Langhi

The show focus more on the system and necessarily the case itself. You have corrupt DAs, apathetic cops, a prison turning people into criminals etc.

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This would make for a very good show if the writing didn't have so many flaws.