1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 HOUSTON TEXANS TRAINING CAMP THREAD

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fantasma Negro, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Did I miss something? JJ out for the season?

2. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Optimistically, he could be back by season opener. Realistically, per much trusted and respected CnD over at Texans Talk, he will probably miss a few game and that's not even talking about his long term prognosis yet.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think the goal was to look at things as pessimistically as possible that's why the assumption was JJ being out all year and the schedule being "brutal" despite the actual quality of the teams on the schedule.

4. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

So that last WR spot will come down between mumphery and Wendall Williams? That will be fun to watch in the preseason games. Of course the locks are hop, strong, miller, fuller, shorts.

5. conquistador#11

Foosball is here! I won't watch a single minute of the hOF game, but the thought of it makes me happ-ay.

6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

You think we'll carry six?

I could see us carrying five and then keeping Miller, Blue, Hunt, and Ervin.

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

No, hopefully no time at all...but based on people Ive talked to and things Ive read, it seems as if the optimistic timetable for his return is set around missing maybe a couple weeks to start the season. However, that doesnt take into consideration the fact that he might have issues with his back once he starts putting himself to the test...and given that he doesnt know how to go anything less than 110%, there could be a chance he reaggravates his back or it doesnt ever feel right to begin with.

I hope he never has any issues and we never have to worry about it again, but there is a big question mark regarding his health moving forward.

8. rezdawg

If Wendell can return punts or help on special teams, then I think he makes the squad.

I dont think Blue should make the cut. He's unnecessary.

9. Win

Win Contributing Member

I would doubt Blue is going anywhere. He is a very good special teams player and though unspectacular, is a solid backup RB that knows the system.

10. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You have to remember...the Dolphins sign CJ Anderson to an offer sheet after they lost Miller in FA. They didn't want to lose Miller.

11. rezdawg

Maybe he's okay on special teams...but Im pretty sure I can pick out 80 RBs in the NFL that are just as effective as Blue when it comes to running with the rock.

He has incredibly poor vision for a RB...and he lacks breakaway speed. In other words, he's about as mediocre as you can get. Whether he's on the team or not will have zero bearing on how the team finishes. Therefore, I see no purpose with him being on the team. He doesnt help us, he doesnt hurt us, he's literally just a body that is taking up room from someone that could be explosive or someone that has potential to be more than mediocre.

12. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

That might be true but the coaching staff for some reason likes Blue. He will be our 2nd string RB. And to Blues credit, he got better towards the end of the season.

13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Wendall Williams just went over Kevin Johnson for a fake TD. <a class="hashtag" action="hash" title="#Texans">#Texans</a></p>&mdash; PDS (@PatDStat) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/762300540063653888" data-datetime="2016-08-07T14:53:06+00:00">August 7, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Does this mean no ball was actually thrown?

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

just means he had open field for a TD but play is stopped before

16. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Kid is making plays everyday.

17. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Fuller is undressing the Vets on routes today.

He is more than a straight shot up the field. We may have our Emanuel Sanders clone.

Stephen Anderson is going to make this team and fight Ryan Griffin for the starting TE spot in passing situations. He seems to have a knack for getting open and creating separation at the top of routes.

2 people like this.
  18. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

How is Tyler Ervin looking? Was hoping he could be our Giovani Bernard

19. rezdawg

Lol, I was trying to think what that meant.

My optimistic side said that he caught the ball, but it was a fake TD since it was practice.

My pessimistic side said that he acted like he caught a ball and celebrated just bc he was trying to have some fun.

20. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

He is quick, has ok hands.

Big no no was that on one occasion he missed the blitzer in a passing situation.

He just looks like a rookie.

I think Rick nailed the draft class. Fuller, Anderson, and Martin look like Sunday guys off the bat.