1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Tigers

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 29, 2016.

1. red

red Contributing Member

I watched moneyball last night. Always makes me feel warm and fuzzy about baseball. The exact opposite of reading the game threads. I kinda miss when we sucked and there would be 30 total posts in here for a 3 game series.

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

Good thing that might come out of this: Lunhow realizes he needs more help and gets a trade done before Monday.
    Bad thing that might come out: he panics and makes a bad deal.
    Extreme thing that might come out: he panics and becomes a seller before Monday.

3. Buck Turgidson

Bull Durham
    The Natural
    Sandlot
    Major League
    Field of Dreams
    Moneyball
    Eight Men Out
    Bad News Bears
    others (Cobb? Pride of the Yankees? Dunno)

Docs:

Ken Burns' Baseball (most brilliant thing about any sport, ever)

Everything else: https://www.google.com/search?q=baseball+documentary&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=baseball+documentaries

Pelotero was also a great one.

4. cardpire

cardpire Member

5. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Harris doesn't throw hard enough. 2 strikes and 2 outs and he can never seem to get that last strike. Hitters guard the plate and wait for their pitch. Can't do that very well with guys who hit 98 regularly. I miss B. Wagner.

6. cardpire

cardpire Member

momentum back in rangers favor. just in time for them to own the **** out of us again at the end of the week.

season is getting aggravating again.

7. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Wtf!!! We lost!? I stepped away in the bottom of the 9th to take a phone call. Heart broken

8. Buck Turgidson

I know chics dig the longball and all...

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Isn't it the 3rd?

Blew the save against Oakland, same game as the Valbuena walk-off.

Blew another save against Oakland on the road.

And tonight.

They need swing/miss stuff in the 9th.

Edit: looking back, it seems that Feliz was actually the pitcher on record when Oakland took the lead... But Harris really blew that save.

10. Buck Turgidson

The lack of developing one or 2 of those guys last year and this one is my main problem with the FO.

Giles could still be that guy, but there are not really any other ready options.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Statistically he actually got a hold in the Oakland game because they were still winning when he left the game.

1 person likes this.
  12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yeah. Just another example of how dumb that stat can be.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Right. I posted something about that shortly after that game.

14. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Feliz doesn't count? In the last year plus, they've graduated 3 flame throwers - McCullers, Velasquez, and Feliz.

Lance ended up slotting into the rotations, but Velasquez flipped into Giles, and Feliz has become a pretty slick option in his own right.

15. Buck Turgidson

Yes, Feliz and Giles count. That's it, one AAA guy and one trade over 2 seasons (out of a what? 8 man bullpen?), and Feliz has seen his stuff flatten out the last month or so and he's getting hit more than he was early in the year.

Why can't they find at least one other young Dominican/Venezuelan/American guys in AA/AAA who can throw strikeout gas and an offspeed pitch? This M.O. has worked wonders for several other teams recently. Stros have a handful of potential starters who could play up in the pen (and then transition to starting next year or the next), but they seem to be hesitant to put any of them in a relief role. I'm not complaining so much as thinking why.

Look at the stats: they have the slowest, sloppin-est throwing bullpen in MLB.

16. Major

Major Member

GMs don't freak out over one game like fans do.

17. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

That one right there is called a tough loss...

18. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Fields and his straight FB? Not to say you're wrong.. but Fields kinda fit that and fizzled

19. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Bad news is we lost but good news is Giles is one step closer to getting that closer role back. Mentioned it before, but if we were to make the playoffs, you need a guy who has stuff that can make you miss. As good as Harris and Greg have been, they are not those guys. Unless we get an absolute bargain, I don't think we're going to trade for a closer and there's no point either. Groom the guy we traded loads of prospects for.

Hopefully Keuchel can continue to pitch like an ace tomorrow. We should really be able to knock Pelfrey around. Think this is finally the game Bregman gets his first hit in! Not too worried about his start so far, but we need his confidence and bat to get going because next week is a tough one. 7 games against 2 division leaders.

20. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Back to back tough loses.....in 2 different ways.