1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cops Gonna Cop] Austin police body-slam black teacher, officer tell her blacks have 'violent tenden

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CometsWin, Jul 22, 2016.

1. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

Wait, you'd be ok with one of your family members getting body slammed for being a little too defiant?

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'd be upset that they were stupid enough to turn a regular traffic stop for speeding into an arrest. I'd be fairly ashamed of them honestly.

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

If I had a family member in that same exact scenario, absolutely.

And before you ask, I wouldn't have a SO with that kind of attitude.

4. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Exactly you can't see what's going on yet you're giving the officer reasonable doubt. What if the woman was raising her legs in the car but it wasn't fast enough for the officer? Isn't that still complying with the officer's orders? Instead you assume she's going stiff as a board like a toddler that doesn't want to be strapped in their seat belt and again think that justifies an assault.

You even think the Chief of Police is a softie when he knows the inner workings of his police force far more extensively than you and knows the proper way to follow protocol. You're willing to fight being wrong on this matter when the highest law enforcement authority in Austin disagrees with you.

I don't see you criticizing his lie about her striking him first, which again without this video could have landed her in prison if he filed charges. His word versus hers over a traffic ticket where he escalated to violence. Again a 200+ lb. armed police officer with kevlar and an automatic rifle in his vehicle had to resort to violent measures to get an unarmed 100 lb. woman to comply when he could have simply given her a few more seconds to get her feet back in the car. You even overlook she was actually complying with the officer the whole time albeit not as fast as the officer liked.

5. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

Well first of all, my first reaction wouldn't be to blame my own family member without any proof that they did anything reasonable wrong, and second of all I don't think I would be ok with anyone hitting them for just being a little too defiant.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well if you see the video, and they do what this woman did, then you'd have proof that they did several things wrong. Then again, I do know that some people are blind when it comes to family to where they fail to see anything wrong with their actions no matter what they do....so I can sort of understand it if you're in that boat. As for me, I expect more of my family and loved one's than that. If they're wrong, they're wrong.

7. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

And neither do you see what's going on but for some reason you automatically don't believe him to be justified. He was standing right there in full witness to her decisions and actions. Does anyone think this is how this officer wanted this to go down when he pulled her over?

Nix on the toddler image. I think she just sat on the driver's seat with her feet out of the vehicle when he wanted her back in the car completely as is the correct protocol I believe. For whatever reason, she did not do that so he begins the process of placing her under arrest. Up until that moment, he was just ticketing her.

I don't know about you but I've disagreed with Presidents, Senators and Supreme Court justices before-- even my wife.

I'm not clear what "inner workings" of the APD have to do with anything. This is unfortunate all the way around but the woman created the situation. We can disagree on whether the officer was too quick to get frustrated or whether he got to be too aggressive, but the one complete truth is that this could have been over, peacefully, in ten seconds had she just done what he asked. If she did not understand, simply ask for clarification.

The Chief has to deal with public outrage on something like this. I don't. I wish it had never happened but the critics who want his badge are just over the top.

As I recall, he just said that she swung at him. Who knows? She did resist; she did struggle. I guess he could have approached her vehicle armed with his automatic weapon... :rolleyes:

He could have given her a few more seconds. Maybe she would have needed two minutes-- may ten? Get off the pot or piss. The whole thing is regrettable but I'm not about to hang this officer out over it like some are wont to do.

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Inaccurate isn't the right word. You have a different opinion and you rationalize it as the chief needing to satisfy the public while at the same time you call on cops experiences as reasons for their actions. Using your own reasoning (what cops faces and their experience), you should value the chief judgement. And you do, but because it's different from your opinion, you have to rationalize it into a corner.

We absolutely should respect and be compliance.

But that's where you separate the great cop, the good cops from the bad one. If someone isn't respectful or compliance, the great and good one can handle it. The bad one can't. Higher standard.

And when we accept the bad one and lower the standard, what kind of message are we sending to the public? When we accept cops that beat up people for something as simple as not following direction fast enough, what message are we sending? When we do not hold cops accountable for outrageous acts (in other instances), what message are we sending. You see, they lose respect from the public, and WORSE OF ALL, some member of the public are scare ***** of them. That can yield less compliance, which bad cops can't handle and the cycle continue. Higher standard breaks this cycle.

You can demand higher standard from the public all you want, but you have no control of it. Where you can control is the behavior of cops. That's your only real option and it is the most effective and right actions for increased safety and honor to the cop profession.

Higher standard yield better relationship with cops and more safety for cops. Lower standard yield worse relationship and less safety.

1 person likes this.
  9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I have my limitations, Fritz.

I admit and sometimes like that my family can "get real" but if they're not touching an officer, there's no way I'm going to swallow any cop body slamming her.

I don't believe society has to be ruled by fear in order to respect police. Nor do I think the current state of fear alone is the reason why police are not respected.

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Lets be fair. Cops in America are not very well respected. We live in a culture not to respect cops. And to be fair, there is some justification.

For example, you drive up to a bank, you see a cop car in the parking lot, walk in and see a couple cops in the lobby. One typically feels 'safer'.

An hour later, you're on the highway driving home and see the same cop in the middle of the median. One immediately becomes paranoid and feels victimized. As we pass by, we all look back in the mirror wondering what citation he may find to justify in giving us a ticket.

Unfortunately this sets off a very distrusting relationship between both sides. The woman in this video feels hassled and victimized while the officer needs to maintain control and ensure his safety by containing the woman in the confines of her vehicle.

The officer made a very common mistake; arguing and justifying his decision to issue her a citation.
    However it was the woman who continued to escalate the situation by continuing to see what she could get by with when the officer was being professional the entire time up until he forced her out.

11. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

"He was professional the entire time" until he wasn't.

12. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

if a driver is contained and not a threat but is complaining or b****ing about the what's happening it's time to exercise patience. call for backup, perhaps maybe a woman police officer if necessary. the time waiting will help everyone calm down a bit and hopefully ensure a reasonable calm conversation when additional support arrives.

one idea i've always had was the idea of a citizen advocate. similar to patient advocates you see that work at hospitals to provide advocacy service to patients. safety would be a huge concern but having an officer and a non-officer advocate as a partnership would go along way i think. obviously you don't work the dangerous beats but violence against police is at an all time low so perhaps it could work.

13. giddyup

I don't have to please the public like the Chief does or chooses to.... the Milwaukee sheriff, David Clarke, may take a stronger stand. Rationalize it into a corner? I don't have to work at it; it's plainly obvious... to me.

There's always going to be great cops, good cops and bad cops-- at least for awhile until they are routed out or get better. Part of what you are implying is that every cop that gets caught up in one of these events is a bad cop. I don't believe that for a minute and I doubt you do, too.

The much easier solution? Great, responsible and respectful citizens who are under no stress to be a citizen like a cop is to be a cop.

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I'll drop your rationalization. I don't think you get or just ignoring.

That's not what I'm implying. I'm saying exactly that higher standard is what's needed. Cops that get caught for bad behavior are bad cops. Cops that are shown to have good behavior are good. Pretty simple.

Are you living on mars? How are you going to ensure citizens are great, responsible and respectful? You know, if we can do that, we won't need any cops. Are you thinking that beating them is how?

On the other hand, it takes just some policy change to INCREASE standard, like what Dallas PD has done. That's very feasible.

15. giddyup

You do realize that it could be as simple as we see it differently and/or come at it from different directions. Just because we don't agree doesn't mean that I don't "get it" or that I'm "ignoring" you.

Higher standards are great but what's wrong with expecting them from all directions? When a cop gets involved, guess what? Some Citizen has thrown down their mantle of good citizenship... voluntarily!

Are you kidding? It's not my job to ensure that Citizens are great, responsible and respectful. That is their job not mine! :eek:

I'm all in favor of improving performance on all sides. I'm NEVER going to say to cops: "Just deal with whatever comes up and make sure you're perfect..."

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, so you'd do what instead? Get yourself arrested too? If a family member acts like a moron and turns a simple speeding ticket into an arrest, what would you do about it?

The funny part about this is that there's no reason to "fear" cops if you are a decent person who can follow simple instructions. It gets trickier if you are armed, but even then if you know how to handle yourself, it's almost never a problem.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I would document my wife's injuries and hire a very good lawyer so that she can get to the bottom of it.

That's something I can afford to do rather than waste time playing simple minded tough guy in the internet.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's smart. Of course, most likely if she's not a minority, the case won't go anywhere. If she is a minority, maybe you'll be in business.....but it would probably be better to just try and teach them how to follow basic instructions so you never have to worry about it.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The fact is that there are a lot of cops who abuse their power.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Perhaps, but that certainly wasn't what happened in this case. The cop was overly physical in rightfully arresting the woman but it certainly wasn't an abuse of power issue.