1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Purchasing a "new" used car - negotiation tactics

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sooty, Jul 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Hey all,

Planning on purchasing an Audi Q3 (preferably the prestige package, if not that premium plus with tech package).

I have a few questions -
    • What can you normally negotiate off the price?
    • What other fees and costs are involved?
    • Is certified pre-owned worth it?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Going to be my second car and will be paying about half cash, rest financing!

Cheers.

2. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

GLA would be sweet but looks so much like a hatchback

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Pretty sure you made a typo here. CLA is what you meant to say. CLA is the best it is what you need and has everything you would ever want in a car.

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

Sooty, Google NADA book value then find the book on the car you are looking at. Target clean trade then add about $800 to that. When you sit down with the salesmen and he brings you their offer, turn the paper over and write will do business now at x amount of dollars.

Target vehicles that have been on the lot for >30 days. They are more desperate to sell these and may even take a loss on them. If you see a vehicle over 60 days I'd ask for a price about 2 grand under clean trade and see what they counter.

Never be afraid to walk out! By next Monday they will be calling you to hit a monthly quota.

On the cpo, research it. I don't know anything about audis program. Some cpos are great, bumper to bumper, others are just drivetrain.

5. codell

codell Contributing Member

My negotiation tactic:

[​IMG]

6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Right, don't be afraid to walk. There's always more deals, this isn't the "one camry" or whatever that stupid ad is going on about where the customer thinks this is the last car. Lol, unless you're buying some classic car that's model 1 etc etc and one of a kind... you'll always be fine walking from a ****ty deal. They'll always call you when back, I mean unless you're way crazy.

7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Just be aware that certified vehicles can be a little harder to negotiate down on. I was in the market for a car earlier this year and the several times I tried to negotiate those certified cars they usually were not willing to come down much, if anything at all. I ended up walking out of three deals and finally found a good deal that i liked. Don't ever get emotionally attached to the car until after you buy it. People get too hyped up before negotiating and then become too afraid to walk out.

8. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

I took my Dad who was a used car salesman for 30+ years, so I had some heavy back up, but like said above- WALK OUT IF THEY DO NOT GET TO WHERE YOU WANT TO BE!!!

We got up and legit got into my car to leave and he came outside and stopped us, told us to come back inside. 3 hours later I was driving in the car I wanted ('13 G37 sedan) and got it severely close to the price I came in wanting to pay.

Also, it helps if you bring with you other listings for the car you want, even if it is in another city. We told the salesman we would happily drive to FL to get one that was in my price range (which was a lie. Im not driving all of way over there lol). It seemed to work.

Last bit of advice: The person who asks the questions rules the sale

9. The Stig

The Stig Member

Pit the dealers against each other. And make sure you do your due diligence on the vehicle before purchasing. You don't want to be buying a used car labeled as new. Just went through a hell of an experience a couple weeks ago. At the end, got a new MB for 15% off MSRP.