1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GOP Convention lol !

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

2. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Yes I will.

3. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I can't believe people are still making excuses for this. If you can find a source, please notify the rest of the internet and media. It's self-evident that she plagiarized it. No one has been able to find another source for the sentences. She used the same words to convey the same thoughts in the same order.

4. no.3 for no.1

no.3 for no.1 Member

Lazy response. Try again.

Accept she ****ed up and move on

5. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Where am I defending it? I am merely pointing out that these are common phrases (which they are), and that Michelle herself was hardly the first to use them (which she wasn't). I pointed out that this was a small section of her speech (which it was). Doing so reflects very poorly on the Trump campaign, which I have indicated.

So, yes, I am *****ing serious. Let me guess, though...the extent you were willing to go went as far as watching some headlines? Hardly the basis for calling someone else out. But, oh so typical. Here's a thought...maybe pay a little more attention to what a poster is actually saying before riding off on your high horse? Or is that too much to ask. Probably...wouldn't want you to have to actually think or anything.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

On a somewhat different RNC topic: with all the shootings and the Democrats demanding gun control, the Republican response had been this is not a problem of access to guns, but a mental health problem. Since they hammer out the party platform at this convention, I've been waiting to hear their grand vision for addressing the mental health problems that have caused so many mass shootings. I looked at their website and googled for headlines, but I don't see any plans. People are getting shot up, the Republicans have been blocking any attempt to address the issue with gun control; I'd really like for them to move forward with their solution, whatever it might be.

7. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The problem with a Trump Presidency: The refusal to admit to mistakes.

8. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Hey, I accepted your challenge, dude. I stand ready to publicly recant after you show us that Obama was not the original.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

An excellent point, JV. Where is the plan, Mr. Trump? If gun control of any kind isn't a solution, then where is the mental health plan to address gun violence?

10. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

This is a level. This is like when Trump denies that he pretended to be his own publicist....he's gone meta and everyone else is just not on the same plane. Tony Clifton is back baby.

11. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

FWIW... I ran the first part of Michelle's section "that you work hard for what you want in life; that your word is your bond and you do what you say you're going to do; that you treat people with dignity and respect, even if you don't know them, and even if you don't agree with them" through Grammarly, and it did indicate 'serious plagiarism concerns'. Have to pay to get their report, though.

But again, these themes and phrases are EXTREMELY common. Work hard for what you want, your word is your bond, treat others with respect...these have been around for centuries. Here is a good rundown just on your word is your bond

So, it's been around for hundreds of years, to the point where it is a cliche. Now I'm being asked to show where cliche's are used in common speech...when that is true by definition? Yes, indeed, let's get serious here. That would be a pleasant change.

12. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Awesome, see previous post then.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

112 years earlier....

[​IMG]

14. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

They're most likely flagging the Trump speech...

15. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

You're really being a fool. Any linguist will tell you that this is clearly plagiarism- and you're just making it worse by trying to come up with some other type of bull**** scenario like "Well, maybe she took this phrase from this other source..."- I mean, you can understand the parts of speech, right?

16. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

LOL. I love this. I can't shake my head anymore. If LaCour would have consulted BigDog63, he wouldn't have lost his PhD and would now be the head of Yale. Level.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The topper is that he claims he isn't defending it.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The plan is that we're gonna have the BEST mental health care, world class. You wouldn't believe how great it's gonna be. Trust me, nobody's gonna be crazy they will be too busy winning.

19. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

That is so weak. Do I need to hold your hand through this?

This is VERBATIM PLAGIARISM:

"values that you work hard for what you want in life, that your word is your bond and you do what you say"

And the rest of the highlighted stuff is plagiarism too.

[​IMG]

Google your ass off and get back to us!

20. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

“… of the same values: that you work hard for what you want in life; that your word is your bond and you do what you say you’re going to do; that you treat people with dignity and respect…”

“…the value that you work hard for what you want in life, that your word is your bond and you do what you say and keep your promise, and that you treat people with respect.”

:grin: