1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GOP Convention lol !

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Brother.... it was plagiarized word for work, for a paragraph at a time for multiple paragraphs. There is really no way to argue otherwise. It isn't a matter of themes being similar or the same. It is the type of plagiarism that there is no real explanation for.

Someone Rickrolled her.

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I understand and sorta agree with all f the above. But it was day 1 of the GOP Convention and to be honest, she was the most interesting speaker on the agenda. Who else would we be talking about... an underwear model? An unemployed child actor ("what, wasn't Joan or Willie Aames available?)? Essentially a bunch of who knows and who cares.

When Pence, maybe Cruz, and Trump speaks I am sure there will be more interest and discussion. Just like in a week or so, people will be interested in what Bill Clinton, President Obama (and possibly Biden), and of course Hlllary Clinton says....

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The Donald has no time for the minutiae of governance

4. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

5. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

No, it wasn't word for word...although it was extremely similar. It was part of 2 paragraphs, which took...less than a minute to read? Again, on themes that are quite common, Michelle is hardly the first to have used them. So, yes, there certainly is a way to argue otherwise. Especially when those saying it isn't are...factually incorrect.

FWIW, given that the themes and that particular phrasing is quite common, one can't even really make an argument for plagiarism. Or, if one wanted to, then it would be quite easy to construct a plagiarism argument for Michelle Obama's speech in the first place, as she certainly wasn't the first to have uttered those words, or used those themes. Where is your ire at her plagiarism? Strangely absent, I wonder why....

Hmmm, it would seem that not only can argue otherwise, one would win said argument, quite handily.

6. NewRoxFan

Here are the excerpts:

Come on BigDog... they are word for word, with a few minor changes. And with as much criticism that Michele Obama received leading up to (and past) the convention, you don't think that someone would have called her out if her speech was plagiarized? That Trump and the GOP teams wouldn't have already found previous speeches that were the earlier source?

7. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

OK, dude. Google away and find someone ELSE who said or wrote (yes, word for word) "that you work hard for what you want in life, that your word is your bond and you do what you say." Let's see what you got.

8. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

This has to be a level. You cannot be serious. I would absolutely call out Michelle Obama as a plagiarizer. Please back up it with evidence and I'll jump on board that train.

Sigh, I was hoping the Trump campaign would be more efficient by this point, but this is just sad. On one hand, we have Hillary "by some counts, I actually got more votes than Obama" Clinton, and on the other hand we have a Trump campaign that is dividing the Republican party into those who just shake their heads in disappointment at the insanity that the rest of the group chooses to defend at all times.

9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Are you ****ing serious?

Defending the indefensible. The extents to which people will go....

10. Anticope

Anticope Member

Not all of it was word for word because any dope who plagiarizes something is going to change some of the wording to make it harder to figure out.

Then find a speech that Michelle Obama took those words from since it's apparently so common. This level of denial is seriously unreal.

11. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Well....No.

12. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

So it's ok to plagiarize as long as you alter a few words because that person may have plagiarized their speech?

Am I understanding your argument correctly?

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think "BigDog" just stepped in his own poop. With all due respect.

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

BigDog is going full RocketsLegend in here.

Never go full RocketsLegend.

3 people like this.
  15. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BREAKING: Shots fired at Cleveland police transport vehicle near site of Republican National Convention, no injuries: police <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/RNCinCLE?src=hash">#RNCinCLE</a></p>&mdash; Reuters Top News (@Reuters) <a href="https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/755444515050225664">July 19, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Tend to agree. Feels a little tawdry to politicize the tragedy.

The problem I see with Melania's plagiarism is that it makes her look dumb. Biden may have looked dumb back in the 80s too with his episode, but I know now from his long and successful career that he's not dumb. I don't bring a moral rebuke to either of them for breaking the rules; it just casts doubts on their abilities. Biden has since acquitted himself while Melania (and the Trump campaign) have not.

Who was that?

Freudian slip?

Trump supporters will figure that Clinton's covert ops team is spreading this story through surrogates so that Clinton doesn't have to do any of the dirty work.

B-Bob, you have access to some plagiarism checker, right? Run Michelle through that and see what you get. Surely, if Michelle was able to get her hands on the material, the checker can too. I suspect I already know the answer though, because the RNC probably routinely runs all of her speeches through the software looking for a gotcha moment like this. That's how Melania got caught.

17. underoverup

underoverup Member

Strange that people aren't getting this: someone wrote that speech for her and including two paragraphs from Michelle Obama's speech and a Rick Roll. There is no way she wrote that speech and oh so cleverly trolled her husband.

18. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

It wasn't word for word, although it was very similar. It was part of 2 paragraphs, which took under a minute to read, on themes that are very common...Michelle is hardly the first person to have used them.

19. NewRoxFan

Did someone on Trump's/RocketLegend's team send out a message via Facebook to communicate this via social media? :grin:

20. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

If you haven't listened to enough political talk to know how common that is, why bother? I'm also quite sure that were I to do so, it wouldn't change your mind one bit. So, again, why bother? If I do so, will you post a public apology and publicly recant your position?