1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UEFA Euro 2016

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Raz, Dec 12, 2015.

1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

"gritty" and "tough" is one thing. Winning 2 matches without the benefit of a penalty shootout during the entirety of the tournament is another. I definitely wouldn't describe Portugal's performance with those words. To me it's not that they played ugly, its simply did not even play particularly well and ended up winning it all.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Most of their opponents did not do very well either against them, mostly in the knockout games.

Croatia, Poland, Wales, France

Their defense was one of the best in this tournament although their way to the Final was not the most difficult one.

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Btw, was anyone else surprised there have been zero attempts at a terrorist attack? You'd think a tournament of that dimension and in France would be the main target for every terrorist, but absolutely nothing happened. Can't think of a better way to terrorize people and scare people than this event in such a significant place and with a world-wide audience.

Scared of the security measures or what's the reason?

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It was really easy to get into the stadiums, too. Perhaps the terrorists thought there might be backlash from the Muslim community because a lot of them also like football...?

5. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

I had heard they had something planned for the Euro's and I was holding my breath the whole final, just waiting for an attack. That the maker it didn't happen! :p

6. malakas

malakas Member

I am happy that Portugal won. Alway felt bad about Eusebio and Fernando Santos is a good coach.

pfft Greece actually had won more games than Portugal you know. :p

Euro is as popular to watch as the WC. Even I who dont' know barely anything except the basics saw games. Also people usually have a second team that they support when their own NT doesn't qualify or is ousted.

Italy here for some reasons has many fans.

7. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

Damn congrats to Portugal.. When CR7 was carried off the pitch I thought it was over there and then but France didn't capitalize.

Honestly, this is probably the most boring EURO I've seen but hey if it works, kuddos to them.

In other news, CR7 pretty much locked up Ballon D'or right there.

8. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

A sad ending to a sad tournament. The worst possible team won.

Good the tournament is over. Now Lets focus on the tour and the Olympics.