1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Snapshot of the Current Roster. Where we are now & what's next...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cdrive, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Bo6

Bo6 Member

sounds like a lot of good potential to get in on some trades.

all of you guys moaning about RYNO and Gordon fail to realize while yes, they might be overpaid.. they ARE assets to our team giving us flexibility to deal brewer/ariza/dekker/bev .

2. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Hold up. You're doing your best to diminish the good and amplify the bad.

First off, we earned the right to beat a bad Mavs team. That's what happens when you are 2nd seed in arguably the toughest Western Conference in history. That year was brutal. Second, our home court advantage helped us against the Clips. Third, it takes more than 2 minutes of Josh Smith hitting shots to win 4 games against a team. You're forgetting Harden was 25p/6r/8a in that series and in one of the last 3 wins he recorded a triple dub. As for blaming Harden for the loss against the Warriors and even referencing Lin, I'm in awe. We limped into that series without a starting PG, a starting PF, a 25 million dollar center with a torn meniscus thanks to Josh Smith's clumsiness, a team that outperformed how a team without an actual coach should perform versus a well-oiled well coached Dubs team, and we had Prigs/Terry/Johnson to halve up the duties of guarding and switching onto Curry & Klay. And Harden is supposed to shoulder all the blame? That's as ridiculous as blaming Harden for the 1st round exit against the Thunder his 1st year in a Rockets uniform.

2 people like this.
  3. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Again I want to believe but this feels like nothing is gonna actually happen, maybe everyone needs to sign first?

4. Chamillionaire

Cheers Cod. Repped as usual.

5. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My post was not a condemnation of Harden for all the losses, but a counter to the idea that he single-handed got us to the Western Conference finals in 2015 and (more importantly) that he could do so again. The facts are clear that he didn't then and won't in the future.

I don't expect Harden to carry the entire load - not only because he lacks the motor to do so, but particularly because it's a fundamentally stupid strategy for any team to expect any player to carry the entire load. Every player has his strengths, his weaknesses and his "just-okays" (for lack of a better word). In Harden's case, he's a very strong scorer, a very weak defender and "just-ok" at running an offense. His willingness to pass is offset by his lack of court vision. Putting the ball in his hands for 99% of all possessions will get us a lot of wins, but also caps our ability to be a contender because the very best teams are capable of neutralizing him as a playmaker.

That lack of court vision shouldn't be a problem - a smart team would recognize this and get a player to handle this (or at least split duties), thus allowing James to focus on finding new ways to score and exert a little more effort on defense.. The Rockets have failed to do this for 4 years and based on Morey's statements, still don't even recognize this gap. That's not just a problem - that a major ****ing malfunction.

6. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

I think we all know why we are not hearing anything or seeing us sign guys like Jennings, Johnson, West, or any of these other back up players for cheap is probably because Morey is working on trades for impact players. Bringing on two good shooters is something we all know we needed. If you think that's the only moves you are not being honest with yourself and please stop calling these guys overpaid if you are not taking into account the new salary cap and the one that will be coming next year. Look at it that way and you will see we are not overpaying for them. So stop passing judgement on the team when it's not even complete yet. Can we hold off on that until after training camp when we know what the team will be?

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

honestly, i see the west wide open after GSW and SAS. we can finish anywhere from 3-10 depending on how the rest of the offseason goes, how effective MDA/harden are this season, and of course if ryno/gordon stay healthy.

8. cdrive

I had to cut that off and send it real quick. Meant to lighten it up so it wasn't so harsh. Agreed, it wasn't all Harden. This is a fact. There are 5 guys on the court not 1 guy on the court. This is also a fact. But yeah man, Harden does deserve the lion's share of the credit that season. It helped to have great chemistry. A lot of that great chemistry was addition by subtraction with Howard being injured and out of the way. So here we are again with Howard out of the way. I'm hopeful for a rebirth in chemistry: shots falling, people caring about defense cause we're not a huge mess as a whole. Winning begets winning and all those platitudes.

I respectfully disagree that Harden lack's court vision. I do think he could use better judgment on what he sees sometimes. And I think a lot of his TOs last year were due to the discordant state the whole team was in. No one knew what anyone else was doing. Hence, more TOs especially for the guy initiating the offense the majority of the time. We had 0 coaching, so our tendencies were telegraphed 4 days in advance. Teams could slack on scouting us cause there was no mystery with what we'd do or how we'd respond if they shaded us 1 way or another with a defensive approach. I'm hopeful D'Antoni changes all that. I'm hopeful because I have to be. What's the alternative, y'know? If D'Antoni did his part, it will be pretty clear pretty quickly...as in the 1st week of November.

9. Remlap

Remlap Member

I believe one factor that people are overlooking is the fact that
    we will have an actual offensive SYSTEM in place with MDA.

PnR's galore, back door cuts, screens, etc...
    Movement, not just ISO ball.
    James will have more opportunities to attack the basket. He's deadly on PnR. But rarely ran it with Howard.
    When they DID, it was some easy lobs or layups for James.

Everyone is just nitpicking on our personnel (which is important of course)
    But the naysayers that are predicting 20 wins seem to be thinking
    that this will be last years' ISO offense with a couple of new faces standing around. Not so

Shoot, even Corey Brewer may excel in this system.
    It's made for run and gun (now if he could just finish at the rim)

Looking forward to see Wiltjer gunning some 3's. He could be Ryno Jr (or better)
    I"m liking the fact that we at least improved our shooting. That's a HUGE plus.
    We took the most 3's in the league AT A 27% CLIP! That's horrific.
    Add some 40% shooters in there and you have a whole new ball game
    (Likely add 10 more wins?)

I for one, am excited. My crystal ball doesn't show championship.
    But it's showing playoffs

10. Vivi

Vivi Member

Wow, thank god i didn't miss this.

Thank you guys. (and thank you craguin for the link)

1 person likes this.
  11. ch44

ch44 Member

Just so everyone knows.. Omer Asik is going to be our starting center next season.

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

Just wanted to interrupt this fine thread to send some positive vibes to Codman as he continues his treatment.

ClutchFans is pulling for you, brother!
    <BR>

1 person likes this.
  13. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

Thank god, there's someone else with a sense of reality. Don't forget that CP3 was injured a couple games too.

14. finsraider

finsraider Member

If we let DMo walk, we should go hard after Allen Crabbe with a big deal...

15. onreego

onreego Member

Do we also forget that they wrecked us without CP3 and Griffin dominating our bigs?

Do we also forget that every team that the Warriors played last year had players that were injured?

Winning has as much to do with luck sometimes as it has to do with having a good team. That's a fact.

16. RedHotRockets01

Too late, rumored to be signing an offer sheet with the Nets. Waiting on moratorium to end. 4 years, $70 Million. Not sure we can offer that.....

17. cdrive

The qualifying offer was only $3.4 million 1 year, and it's been 6 days with no bites.

I wouldn't be surprised now if D-Mo doesn't get any offers unless teams have already exhausted Plan A,B,C,D,E...

And I thought I saw a fairly recent article saying he's pulled out from the Lithuanian team for the Olympics 'cause his back still isn't right.

I'm not sure if it's because his back is still not 100% or he is just being extra cautious.

But yeah 6 days and still no bites on D-Mo...

(updated the 'snapshot' at the top of the thread to reflect the Nene news)

18. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

True, but I think the point is the WCF 2 years ago kind of gave us unrealistic expectations last year while not addressing any of the fundamental issues we have namely:

defense
    diversifying our offense away from harden control (tried with Lawson, but failed)

19. onreego

onreego Member

I don't think that's what happened. I think our expectations as fans were realistic.

There was no way that we could have foreseen that Dwight was going to revert back to whining about post ups when just the post season before he fit himself into a working/successful scheme. Which was a major influence on the team's lack of chemistry.

There was also no way of being able to tell Harden's drop off and Brewer/Lawson forgetting how to play basketball.

Also, going with JB as the interim for the rest of the season was destined to fail. They should have given McHale more time and if he couldn't turn it around, blow it up.

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Posted this in the random trade thread but wanted to drop it in here as well.

How about a 3 team trade that had the basic parameters of:

Rockets get: Rubio
    Timberwolves get: Tyson Chandler
    Suns get: Brewer (or + KJ)

Suns reduce salary.
    Rockets get a PG.
    Timberwolves get a vet C that would fit in Thibs system either off the bench or Towns starts at PF.