1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Cameron: Britain's EU Referendum to be held June 23

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Feb 20, 2016.

1. shorerider

shorerider Member

Yes, and let's keep it up with a new Brexit vote every week until whoever decides what "sanity" is wins. Perhaps we can do that with the Presidential election. If (insert name of awful candidate here) wins, then get 1% of the electorate to file a petition to have a new election every week (perhaps we can have a referendum to be a certain day of the week since it will be a weekly event, and then rename it "ReferendumDay") until "sanity" prevails. How's that for sanity?

1 person likes this.
  2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I wonder how will the Brits vote in their next GE if this causes a major recession in UK.

3. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

So did anyone catch that argument on the Thames on CNBC? The guest was just answering questions on camera, and then a pro-Brexit guy walks up to the camera and starts yelling at the guest on-air celebrating the Brexit. The guest starts shouting back and calling the other man loony and says he should wear a tin foil hat. The man starts saying the CIA controls the British Government. Then he says America will exit next. The tv guest shouts back that America isn't in the EU, lol.

4. dmoneybangbang

Decisions like this should never be put to referendum where majority simply wins. "Should pot be legal" is something that should be put on a referendum.

5. shorerider

shorerider Member

Also, can we do this for the Democratic and Republican Primaries? Have a redo? This time we can get politicians/individuals who regret deeply not entering the primaries to get involved.

I think you could get enough people, considering the unprecedented unfavorable opinions of the two presumptive nominees, to sign a petition for sanity's sake. Or would this be cast aside as "stop being a sore-loser, don't know when to give up" syndrome?

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Major could have simply never responded to the links and quotes showing the opposite was true. Instead he got snippy saying he would simplify for me then squirmy about who the EU is. (his new definition is the EU is not the EU) You should be asking Major what his obsession is.

he is learning more from posters in this thread

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Because that particular poster has been acting like a smartass for years and has never EVER admitted he was wrong.

Exactly - B-Bob - why are you asking me and not Major? He is the one who got snippy, after having been educated.

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Was there a feud?

[​IMG]

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Just was the last in a long string I suppose. Also thought you might be able to hear my point more than some others. But I will of course drop it.

1 person likes this.
  10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Because the purpose of D&D is to win the debate, not to actually increase knowledge.

11. hlcc

hlcc Member

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Good luck with that.

My opinion on Boris Johnson has changed very much. I always found him funny and likeable. But him putting his personal ambitions ahead of what's in Britain's best interests and his lack of honesty have made me sour on him. Cameron is the better man. Boris is just a journalist who can come up with good soundbites, but not with good political solutions. He lacks character. He has been fired twice for lying.

13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Boris IS Donald Trump. Geez...........America, Wake UP!

14. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Brits think this is still the 1800s and they still have the British empire. Talk about delusional.

15. dmoneybangbang

Let's put aside the outcome becaus you are simply not following. You think something of this significance should have referendum? That a simple majority should triump. You call this democratic and I say it's not democratic.

Why is a second vote un-democratic if you believe that a simple majority rule is suffice? Wha if the majority changes their mind? Do you understand now or you still stuck on the outcome?

16. dmoneybangbang

Which is why referendums are terribly inappropriate for decisions like this.

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

dmoneybangbang, are you a native English speaker? :confused:

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Why's that?

Isn't every vote definitionally "democratic" regardless if it is a second or third or whatever vote?

Secondly, it's an "advisory" vote anyway. I guess you could argue that all advisory votes are undemocratic, by definition.

19. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Because the impetus would be the government didn't like the results of the first vote. There might be another general election this year. If so, Labour could have a manifesto that includes calling another referendum before invoking Article 50. That would be democratic.

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Because it reeks of repeating a vote until those in power are happy with the result. Erdogan does this in Turkey all the time.

I'd love a second vote - I'm totally against Brexit, and I think people were fools to allow this vote to go that way.

On another note, I have to re-post this from the football thread.

[​IMG]