1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Royals

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jun 24, 2016.

1. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Wow, i always like Springer, a loooooot, but now even more, he does not care about numbers, he just plays. He had a chance to hit for the cycle, and he took a walk.

2. Remix

Remix Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Springer is the first player in Astros history to have three grand slams in one season.</p>&mdash; Brian McTaggart (@brianmctaggart) <a href="https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/746538739476926464">June 25, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

We're not even at the all star break yet...pretty cool

3. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

I really like Kemp, he gives you good at bats.

4. conquistador#11

so much for being in the easiest division. rangers won't lose and are about to surpass the cubs as the best team in the entire mlb. oh well, just keep playing baseball.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not bad for a guy who apparently never gets clutch hits or does anything with guys on base...

6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Right...theme has been different...but by and large and no matter how you want to slice it and make it pretty with a bow on top, he's been nothing more than below average, to maybe average for the entire season. Not sure what you're trying to defend here.

7. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Even in a hurricane, I would trust George to not loot

8. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

Even the Royals announcers seemed to be pulling for him to try for the double. They wanted him to swing away at the last two pitches.

9. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Well, in 2014 he hit .214 with RISP, and last year .207.

This year, before tonight's ball game was hitting .250, and that number is even better because at the beginning he struggled with RISP

10. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Merrifield looks like Burke

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Just looking for progress... however you deem progress. I thought coming into tonight, he'd pitched much better in his previous 3-4 games since the Ranger beat-down at MMP on 5/22.

And again, not going to over-analyze tonight with the hope of finding some glimmer of hope or more red flags.... when you're spotted a 9 run lead before taking the mound, everything changes.

12. cardpire

cardpire Member

the rest of the division is complete crap though.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So, you agree you were wrong in your idiotic premonitions about how he never delivers...I'm sure a couple more late-inning go ahead HR's will do it for you. (I believe he's also had 3 of those this year)

14. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Sure...tonight can be taken out of the equation as far as judging him goes. But, just because you have a 9 run lead doesnt mean we should expect poor pitches. I understand he's more likely to just throw strikes and get out of the game. But, for a pitcher that has struggled as much as he has this season, you'd think its the perfect opportunity to work on his struggles. And if that is what he was doing tonight, he came up short. If he didnt care about working on ironing out his kinks, then that's worrisome as well.

15. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Tomorrow's lineup:

If Valbuena is healthy

1. Springer rf
    2. Gonzalez 1b
    3. Altuve 2b
    4. Correa ss
    5. Rasmus lf
    6. Gomez cf
    7. Reed DH
    8. Valbuena 3b
    9. Castro C

If Valbuena is unable to play and Kemp stays in the majors, then this lineup:

1. Springer rf
    2. Gonzalez 3b
    3. Altuve 2b
    4. Correa SS
    5. Rasmus LF
    6. Gomez cf
    7. Reed 1b
    8. Castro C
    9. Kemp DH

I don't want Gattis tomorrow, why? Young dominates righties, struggles vs lefties.
    Young vs lefties, .352 average, vs righties, .198.

Now, I think Kemp is the one going to Triple A, but i think it should be Worth.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Perhaps that's exactly what he was doing... tinkering with a cutter, trying to throw his changeup in the zone, sacrificing location for speed.

Sometimes, tinkering leads to games like tonight (especially when he was still facing a quality lineup).

Again, was more encouraged by the TB game (5th inning not-withstanding), and the last start against Cincy (7 solid innings). The start prior to that was the encouraging Rangers start that Hinch foolishly tried to get an 8th inning out of him.

3 straight starts that showed progress, IMO.

17. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Well, tonight he allowed 11 hits, it was really 10, can't believe they gave Orlando the infield hit, plus 2 walks, not good at all.

Feldman pitched 2 2/3, no hits, 1 walk.

I don't care if they gave K 20 runs, he did not pitched good. Feldman was given the same lead, and pitched very good.

Also, 2 homers!!!! 13 homers allowed, top on the team tied with Fiers, not good at all. Last year only 17 homers allowed.

18. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Price had a very bad game tonight vs the Rangers, ouch

2 1/3, 12 hits, 6 runs

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Did anybody say he pitched well? Try to keep up with the conversation at hand, or don't get involved.

20. Buck Turgidson

LA/Oakland are weak, but every division has 1-2 teams like that.

Just realized Seattle has a better run differential than Dallas, who's playing 6 games better than their expected record (being 17 and ****ing 4 in 1-run games will do that).