1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game of Thrones] Season Six

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rcoleman15, Jun 20, 2015.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Another cool thing that might be fun to discuss:

Since Wun Wun is a proven siege weapon all to himself...knocking down one gate already (and his bros before him)...could Jon have actually won a siege battle in a single day or two

Advantages for Jon:
    - Ramsey's cavalry are not as helpful in a siege
    - Close quarters fighting is proven to eliminate the advantage of superior numbers
    - Wildlings are the best hand-to-hand fighters in the battle, and close quarters fighting is a big advantage for them
    - Longbows cannot rain arrows at the bottom of a wall (because they rely on ballistic trajectories)...archers on the ground are threats to archers looking down
    - Wun Wun is a wrecking crew inside a castle

Disadvantage to Jon:
    - The infantry (and Wun Wun) have to survive the rain of arrows in their trek to the wall. But Wun Wun just needs a shield.
    - Ramsey's shielded infantry formation with spears would be the secondary gate once Wun Wun breaks the gate down. He might not be able to clear the interior archers with the swipe of a hand, like knocking books off a shelf, since he had trouble getting through the shields in the actual battle.
    - Wildlings also had no clue how to beat that Shielded infantry.
    - Ramsey could launch cavalry from another gate for a pincer move on the front gate (like Tywin did at Blackwater)

also, Ghost could wreck havoc with the Shielded Infantry in close quarters, if he flanks them and their spears become impossible to turn. Plus, that Shielded Infantry wasn't used until the Cav was wiped out.

#2221 heypartner, Jun 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

When Robert and Ned beat Balon, what were the terms of surrender?

3. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

Only thing I remember is Theon taken hostage and made ward of Ned Stark. It was Balon's last male of son. Obviously, Balon had to bend the knee.

4. heypartner

What are you saying? In the episode, she said she was dumb in military affairs.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Well I was cool with Arya and Dany storylines early. They seemed like real characters coming into their own (outside of the fire and dragon stuff). It wasn't forced or clichéd.

They were awesome actually. Arya was probably my favorite character. Both different but you believed how they were changing

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Good point.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is clearly going to end with women in power of all the various Kingdoms.

DD

8. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

There was a scene in season one that Sansa was pleading with Cersei when Ned was arrested and at one point Sansa said she wants to be the queen just like Cersei, now I'm actually seeing gradual bits of Cersei in Sansa now. Not a complete b**** type, but that empowered female with paranoia running in her head.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Mostly, I have to give the book and the show a lot of credit for making believable, varied and interesting female characters. Mostly, I'm annoyed with the stupid Sand Snakes and I take it out on the rest of them sometimes.

10. heypartner

edit: wrong thread

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

edit: right thread

12. dback816

dback816 Member

Why didnt they just give the giant a small tree as a weapon? That would have cleared a path in the shield wall in five seconds.

Also jeez the army sizes are getting smaller by the season. Tywin casually gave Jamie 30,000 Lannister troops to siege River Run back in the days and now Ramsey has a measly 6,000 troops even with the support of several great Northern houses?

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Everybody dieded

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Well, you tend to run out of military-age adults when you have years of wide-spread war. People getting killed and they are not coming back unless they are Jon Snow or wights.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

As of right now . .. Sansa *is* the Queen of the North.

Jon is a b*stard and a member of the Night's Watch so he has no claim
    Rickon, Rob are dead
    Bran is assumed dead
    Arya is the younger system

If everyone is loyal to House Stark . .. then they are Sansa's men.

I am not sure if the Vale is considered part of the North.
    They seem to be kind of like another 'country'
    John Arryn was not subordinate to Ned . .. if I recall.

So the Vale and the North is more an alliance . . right?

Rocket River

Rocket River

16. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Jon's watch is ended and is no longer a member of the Nights Watch. According to the books Rob selected Jon as his successor if he were to die and all of the Lords of the North signed a document legitimizing the decision. As King in the North Rob legitimized Jon making him a Stark not a Snow I believe as part of that document.

The Vale is considered one of the Seven Kingdoms and is not part of the North. So yes Arryn is not subordinated to Stark.

Yes the North and the Vale seem to be in a natural alliance especially since Sansa and Robert Arryn are cousins.

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I thought the battle seemed familiar

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CQNCGqfjaBc?start=415" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wardeness of the North

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think you are forgetting the legend status name that Jon is making for himself. Just imagine what the Wildlings think of Jon. They have to think he is some deity type figure for saving them in Hardhome then coming back to life and then charging the Bolton Army all by himself like a lunatic.

I think many Northerners are going to naturally lean towards Jon because of his warrior status.

20. Pbev99

Pbev99 Member

Jon's story seems to point to him doing more than just ruling the north. He and Dany will probably be the last two going after the Iron Throne.