1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big 12 Expansion rumors

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tinman, Dec 7, 2014.

1. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

15 M track and field complex. 400 M easily spent in the last decade on facilities. Baylor is also building a world class sports medicine facility with Baylor Scott & White on campus. Money talks.

2. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I crossed Baylor off my list because I hate Waco...money doesn't buy everything.

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Fair enough. I enjoyed my time there and didn't venture off of campus a whole lot. Austin and Dallas on the weekends was an easy trip and I came home to Houston often too.

#963 sammy, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  4. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

I don't think Baylor is getting kicked out but aren't they going to have some sort of NCAA punishment? I hate the NCAA with their weirdo rules and this arguably isn't the same as Penn State but it would be surprising if something didn't happen.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

How many donors contributed to that 400M?

Sugar daddies only get you so far.

6. Nook

Nook Member

I don't think Baylor is getting kicked out of the Big XII, and if Baylor was removed I don't believe UH would be the team choosen to replace Baylor.

I graduated from an academic school in the Midwest in a conference bigger than Baylor. My feelings for UH have more to do with the people running the place and the potential of the school.

I don't really care one way or the other about Briles. The UH has a better coach IMO right now. Who knows, perhaps it will be discovered that Herman has done similar things to what Briles and Baylor have. Time will tell.

The most head scratching thing was that the kids he protected were not contributing much on the field? Count me in the camp that is more disapointed that he sacrificed all he claimed he was to win more football games, and even more so that the administration was fine with it.

Perhaps Baylor will be good at football again, anything is possible, but I am very dubious they will because of all the options for kids to go in Texas, continued poaching from other conferences and a complete lack of football history. The facilities are very good but I don't believe that is enough. Also try selling Baylor as a wholesome Christian university over the next 5-6 years, isn't going to be easy. Some players choose Baylor for religious reasons.

Either way I don't hate Baylor any more or less than a number of other schools.

7. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

8. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Texas Monthly: We Have Some Ideas For The Big 12 Expansion

9. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

10. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Flyover Country: What's Houston's route into the Big 12?

#970 DonnyMost, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  11. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

This is the same dude that Tinman was saying had great insights into UT football a few months ago. So it is a twist.

12. Brando2101

No he didn't. Tinman and I both said he was an entrenched writer in the city of Houston and didn't have any anti-UH agenda.

13. Brando2101

Look this issue is %100 over. It was over when the big 12 announced a 20% increase in its revenue distribution to $30.4 million per school. A big 12 championship would increase that payout to 33.4 million a year. This does not include 3rd tier rights deals that all the big 12 teams have. That means OU will make about 38.5 million next year and 41 million a year after that when the conference championship game. That doesn't even factor in the increases next year.

See how the new big 12 payouts compare to last years payouts of the other conferences (they will obviously go up this year.)

ACC: 22.1
    Pac 12: 25.5
    Big 10: 27.6
    Big 12: 30.4 (2016 numbers),
    SEC: 34

The big 10 will likely take back the #2 position in 2016 and the SEC is the SEC. The biggest factor in all of this is what the ACC will be. It's it's less than the growth of the big 12 (%20) then that sets the stage for the next realignment deal. They expanded to 14 teams as cable is dying and the viability of a conference network is nothing (at least in the traditional sense).

Florida St and Clemson were concerned with the financial strength of the ACC when they were flirting with the big 12 but they ended up staying and hoping for the best. If the ACC stays stagnate behind the big 12 then Florida St and Clemson will be the 11th and 12th team in the big 12 in the next round of realignment. That was the point Texas was trying to make. Don't expand just to expand now and be at a less advantageous position in the next realignment.

The big 12 gives both Clemson and Florida St the ability to negotiate their own 3rd tier rights deal like the rest of the big 12 teams. They could make up to the 8 million that OU makes. There are two X very big factors that would nix this. 1) Texas/OU leave the big 12 which will dissolve the conference. 2) All of the giant media companies conclude that there is more money for everyone with 16-20 team conferences.

Expansion with the available teams would surely piss off ESPN/ABC/Fox. It would cost them 65 million more a year, cost them games and make existing games worse.

In the next 10 years, Kansas, Kansas St and Iowa St will play OU and UT a combined 80 times. Getting rid of the round robin with two divisions means you'll be replacing 40 OU/UT matchups with 20 games against new division opponents Cincinnati and 20 games against UCONN (or any other potential team.)

They'll lose 10 conference games as they move to an 8 game conference schedule instead of 9 and replace them with non-conference games where they won't have broadcast rights when the B12 team is on the road.

All of these other issues are bull**** you guys are posting about is bull****. Every athletic department and university main building budget trackers count every cent and a healthy payout is a healthy conference no matter what Boren says. He was concerned about "mental issues" with 10 teams but his regents were concerned with the financial. Boren is a politician. He's an expert at spending money.

A relevant quote that popped up today that echoes other things we've heard from other schools. Kansas St AD John Currie:
    UH is not going to the big 12 but (I'll say it again) they will be the next team in the ACC for every reason they won't be in the big 12.

EDIT:
    A string of interesting tweets from a West Virgina "reporter." Seems like their Chip Brown so take it what it's worth. I do completely believe the Pac 12's super ****ed position with their network since they are the ones that own and run it. ESPN is taking the hit for the other tv networks but the pac is left dealing with this. Calling UT about it though and changing Boren's mind? Not sure if I buy it. I googled the guy and it's possible he has connections in the west virginia athletic department which is where the leak would come from. Again, take with a gaint of salt.

TLDR: The Pac 12 Network is torpedoing the conference. They're only in 12 million homes while the Big10/SEC are in 70 million homes. Even the Longhorn Network is in 20 million. The conference handles distribution themselves which means they're feeling the heat (instead of ESPN/Fox Sports) from a constant loss of cable subscribers.

#973 Brando2101, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Ya Boren's stance changed a few weeks before the Big 12 meetings so not sure about that one. He did state that the "marketplace" decided for them with regards to no network which I thought was an interesting comment.

15. Brando2101

There was a much more drastic difference between what he said after the regents contradicted him and what he said after the meetings. However, I don't believe it is because Pac 12 schools talked to Texas. It was likely because of the news that their payouts would ride by %20 and there was a financial consultation by a leading media firm that was presented about the specific implications of a conference championship, expanding and the dying model conference network. He can't take that information to the OU regents and tell them he still wants to expand. The big 12 (intentionally or not) has actually found themselves in a very good situation with only 10 teams and solid 1st, 2nd and 3rd tier agreements.

I'm much less sure of everything below. Mostly reasoned conjecture:
    The reason I posted those tweets though was because I do believe the Pac 12 is in trouble. ESPN, ABC and FOX are sweating the rapid decline in cable subscribers and not the Big 10, SEC, UT with the Longhorn Network and the other 9 big 12 schools that have their own 3rd tier agreements. However, the pac 12 has the failure of their network squarely on their shoulders and it's likely hurting the conference more than they are publicly admitting. What does it say when the Longhorn Network is in 8 million more homes than the entire pac 12 network? I don't want to really push the idea that the Pac-12 is in serious longterm danger because of how much anti big 12 sentiments there is around here but I don't think UT or OU would be going west in the future. I think it's more likely that the Pac 12 teams go east. BUT you never know the way realignment will shake up. Big 12 teams are in a much better place with all of their 3rd tier agreements instead of 1 big network than the pac 12 teams. Again, take all of that with a giant grain of salt. I do think it makes sense and I think you could see that giant bomb of losses drop when the pac 12 announces payouts next year.

#975 Brando2101, Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  16. Brando2101

Good ESPN Article about individual agreements with big 12 teams for their media rights. Imagine a Kansas APP on your Apple TV next to the WWE App.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/112759/third-tier-revenue-could-provide-a-big-12-safety-net

Third-tier revenue could provide a Big 12 safety net

17. Brando2101

Apple announced Fox Sports will finally bring a streaming app to the Apple TV allowing non-cable viewing of sports content. Since that will still require a cable subscription then i don't believe it will create an issue with current TV deals. It would be interesting if it meant people nation wide would then be able to watch Fox Sports 3rd Tier OU and other big 12 3rd tier games that Fox Sports has deals with that I believe are only regionally available. We'll see.

This puts them in the position to easily be able to move to a non-cable subscription model when that time inevitably comes like HBO did last year.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;At this point there isn't a strong or compelling reason to expand.&quot; <a href="https://twitter.com/OU_Athletics">@OU_Athletics</a> AD <a href="https://twitter.com/soonerad">@soonerad</a></p>&mdash; SXM College Sports (@SiriusXMCollege) <a href="https://twitter.com/SiriusXMCollege/status/743479010169135105">June 16, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">ICYMI: <a href="https://twitter.com/soonerad">@soonerad</a> tells <a href="https://twitter.com/ChildersRadio">@ChildersRadio</a> &amp; <a href="https://twitter.com/CoachNeuheisel">@CoachNeuheisel</a> there isn't a strong reason for <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/B12?src=hash">#B12</a> to expand right now. <a href="https://t.co/pFoWnMB3PS">https://t.co/pFoWnMB3PS</a></p>&mdash; SXM College Sports (@SiriusXMCollege) <a href="https://twitter.com/SiriusXMCollege/status/743483695122755584">June 16, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

The Big Ten is about to triple its take from their media rights, and join the SEC in lapping its brethren when it comes to printing money.

Apparently ESPN isn't as nervous about cord cutting as some have speculated. They just agreed to pay the Big 10 over one billion dollars for half of their national media rights.

ESPN and Fox will pay the Big 10 a combined $2.6 Billion over a six-year period, which will almost triple the yearly payout the league gets from its major media deal. The contact goes into effect next year and runs through the 2022-23 season.

CBS also renewed its limited basketball contract for $10 million a year.

Fox will pay $240 million a year, while ESPN will write a check for $190 million. Each network will get 25 football games and 50 basketball games annually. For its extra $50 million a year, Fox will get first choice of football games (hello Michigan vs. Ohio State), and will have the conference championship game every season.

ESPN had low-balled the Big 10 with its first offer for the media rights, but then Fox stepped in with their $1.4 billion offer for just half of the inventory. ESPN was put in the corner of coming up with a legitimate offer of their own, or see the ABC/ESPN 50-year relationship with the Big 10 go away.

The deal assures the Big 10 that it will be passing out somewhere between $40 and $50 million annually to each program, including media rights, the Big 10 Network, NCAA basketball and bowl revenue.

Conference Commissioner Jim Delany added another tweak to this new deal. Delany is betting that over the next six years the media industry will figure out what the distribution landscape will look like in the future. And that means that the Big 10 will come up for renewal before any of the other Power 5 Conferences and right before their Grant of Rights expire. It also gives a clearer picture on when to expect the next round of realignment and downsizing.

Texas shouldn't be worrying about hiring a baseball coach.

Texas should be working to hire a permanent Athletics Director.

20. Buck Turgidson

Bring Oliver Luck back to Texas.

The baseball deal is getting comical. I do really like the coach at Tulane though, that'd be my pick now that they've been turned down by their first 8 choices.