1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Rays

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jun 10, 2016.

1. cardpire

cardpire Member

probably none of them had front offices who didn't actively attempt to improve those teams.

this team has no chance without bolstering the roster, and less and less of a chance the longer they sit on their hands and wait to do so.

2. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

We traded for Hamels before the Rangers did, he just turned it dow

If there is one thing this front office has shown is that it isn't afraid to go after talent through trades. We might not like the trades they made, but sitting in their hands hasn't been a long term trend of our current front office

And there have been many examples of teams not making big moves and turning their season around. We are what, 13-7 last 20 games? Do that again next 20 and we are over .500 and right in the mix

3. cardpire

cardpire Member

I'm talking about this season. And I'm not even referring to trades, really. Those wouldn't have happened by now anyway.

And we were playing well and in contention when they made deals last season. Let's see what happens this season. If they are buried in the standings, and longshots to get back in the mix, I'd bet my last dollar that they don't make any big buys at the deadline.

4. Airdough

Airdough Member

Of course they won't be buyers if they haven't made significant strides towards playoff contention by the deadline. I would hope they'd trade away veterans and give some guys in the minors a shot to let them adjust to the majors. They can still be buyers next offseason in that scenario.

They could win the next two against St. Louis to salvage the road trip and then take advantage of an easy schedule the rest of the month to get back in the playoff picture.

5. The Beard

If we are buried in the standings they certainly should NOT be buyers, that would be incredibly stupid

It's not likely we will be buried though, we have been one of the better teams since the end of April

If you are referring to Bregman, Reed and Musgrove, I would love to see them too. But to be fair, Reed hasnt exactly tore up AAA, I would love to see him replace White but can certainly understand why he hasn't

I still think Bregman has mostly been held back my Crane for super II and the the see him soon

Musgrove hasn't been nearly as dominant at AAA, but again I would like to see him in place of Fiers especially if we could move Fiers in a deal to help the offense

6. The Beard

Yea the Rangers series has crushed the forum

We are 13-7 last 20

Biggest problem is Keuchel, have to have a true Ace to make a big run, and right now we don't

7. cardpire

cardpire Member

obviously. you seemed implying that trading for hamels was an indication of what they are going to do at this deadline.

not that i'm under any illusions that he will carry his production over to the majors, but add danny worth to the list of those players that should have been up by now.

there's just no sense of urgency among management. they are trotting out a daily lineup of awful hitters and expecting them to magically work their way out of sucking while keeping us competitive in the standings all along the way. it's just a lower than low odds proposition.

8. The Beard

I think Danny Worth was signed as minor league depth, and likely viewed as a veteran who is feasting on young guys. Struggled in majors before and likely a AAAA type player. Now we have plenty of crap on the 40 man and I wouldn't be opposed to seeing if he could at least have short term success in bigs like White did earlier, but not a guy I would count on to make a big impact

Bregman is the one im ready to see

9. The Beard

And th Hamels comment was in reference to you saying this front office sits on its hands

10. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Next year:

Re sign Castro and Gattis
    1b Reed
    2b Altuve
    3b Bregman (next year, this year at the end)
    SS Correa
    LF Kemp (I think is time to play Kemp the whole time there and see if he can produce)
    CF Marisnick ( i think he should play there this year and see if able to hit .240 with power and speed)
    rf Springer

That means, this year we need to develop Reed and Kemp and see what they can do for next year. Also, lets see what Bregman can do at the end of the year.
    Give less at bats to Gomez and RAsmus to see what we got for the future.

I do like Valbuena, but i don't think we are going to re sign him.

Next year, if we re sign Castro:

1. Altuve 2b
    2. Bregman 3b
    3. Correa SS
    4. Springer RF
    5. Reed 1b
    6. Gattis DH
    7. Castro C
    8. Marisnick cf
    9. Kemp LF

11. cardpire

cardpire Member

this lineup is still somewhere between not good enough and terrible 6-9. and the only reason that would be the lineup is if crane is unwilling to spend in free agency.

i'm fine with one of castro and gattis in the lineup at a time, and batting 9th. at least 2 of the other 3 open every day spots in the lineup (definitely a DH and an OF) need to be filled with quality free agents.

12. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Agree, unless Kemp is a guy with a very good OBP and average around .280.

Thats why we need to see what he can do.

Marisnick, if he is able to hit .240-.250 with his combo of power and speed, and plus defense, he could be good.

Castro vs righties is better than average.

I do understand you could be worried with the last 3 spots, but we don't know yet until we see what Kemp can do.

Now, i am worried about our rotation, we have way too many number 5 starters.

Only pitcher i like is McCullers.

I do like Fister, he is pitching great but his stuff is not that good so i could see regression there.

If we are going to spend money, it has to be on pitching and next year, right now the best FA is FISTER!!!!

13. The Beard

Castro and Gattis need to be in a platoon, they are both very good in the right side of their platoon, good enough to hit 5th. Problem is they are bad, Castro horrible, on the wrong side

Thing is we have three studs, just out in a couple of consistent average hitters in their with them and the offense will be too 5-10. Hell as many problems as we have right now on offense, it isn't as dire as most make it out to be. We are middle of the pack offensively so wouldn't take a lot to be really good

14. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

He can't though...

He's a good player (great defensively), but if we're trying to strengthen our offense, we have no business starting any of our current outfielders next season except Springer. If Reed and Bregman are as good advertised at 3rd and 1st and we can find a LF with more sand in his pants than Kemp, MAYBE then we can discuss putting Marisnick's glove in center and his bat @ 9.

15. cardpire

cardpire Member

Yeah, that's what's frustrating as hell about this season. And the long spells of offensive ****tiness last season.

16. The Beard

Agreed

At the very least I'd like to see Kemp play vs RHP and not Jake or Gomez, he couldn't be worse than those two

17. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Good point, then i would go big time after Reddick.

1. Altuve 2b
    2. Bregman 3b
    3. Correa SS
    4. Springer rf
    5. Reddick lf
    6. Reed 1b
    7. Gattis dh
    8. Castro (if re sign) c
    9. Marisnick cf

18. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Free Agents I would go for next year:
    C Castro, Wilson Ramos
    OF Reddick, Jason Jay
    Starters: Hellickson, Fister (if continues pitching good)

19. raining threes

My lineup next year would look something like this

Springer RF
    Brock Holt LF
    Altuve 2B
    Correa 3B
    Valencia 1B
    Gattis C
    Swithart DH/C
    John Jay CF
    Bregman SS

I would trade Gregerson/McHugh for Holt/Swithart and sign John Jay in FA. Valencia trade would be Cameron and Rodgers.

20. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

No Reed? I think Reed in your lineup would be good as you get one more lefty