1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Florida Night Club Shooting - at least 20 dead - impact on US elections?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Jun 12, 2016.

?

Will this shooting help Trump or Clinton, if it turns out that it was religiously motivated terror?

1. It will help Trump

51.0%
  2. It will help Clinton

7.3%
  3. It will help neither of them

41.7%
  1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Wow, yeah, if FOX News says the POTUS should do something rash, that's good enough for me! Don't wait for proof that the guy had any contact whatsoever with ISIS, and ignore all the personal stories of his mental instability and homophobia.

In fact, while we're at it, let's invade Iraq again. I heard there are still some centrifuges in there somewhere! YEEEEHAWWWW!

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought we were already at war with ISIS.

Oh, I get it, we need to declare war on Muslims.

3. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

To be fair, I'm sure there are a lot of wife beaters that don't kill people

4. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Devil's advocate: they officially divorced in 2011, so it has likely been 5 years since she last spoke to him. Perhaps his level of vitriol and homophobia wasn't as severe as it recently was? Considering that info, I can see how she would believe that making the jump from homophobia to outright slaughter is difficult to swallow.

Some other evidence to the narrative that he got progressively more homophobic was the the jarring disparity between the interview with a childhood friend from his mosque and a recent co-worker.

Basically the friend stopped hanging out with him as they grew older (around the time of the 1st divorce in 2009) and only knew him in the context of the mosque. Meanwhile the co-worker knew him much more recently and in the context of a workplace.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's always difficult to believe that someone you know or knew turned into that kind of person. There was someone I once hung out with that ended up killing someone and has been on the run ever since. Hell I end up seeing him on wanted posters every time I go to the damn post office.

I mean it happens, people change and do messed up things sometimes. Just because they weren't like that when you knew them means very little.

6. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

So how do you perceive that person now? When they come to your mind, do you automatically think "killer" or whatever memories you had of them?

It's really interesting how much of a role context plays in shaping perception

For example, when the interviewer emphasized Mateen's trip to Mecca for the Hajj, I automatically dismissed it, but realized that others may see it as a source of radicalization. From a Muslim's perspective, the Hajj is an ultra-regimented series of rituals that essentially leave little time for anything else over those 7 days. You know exactly what to expect prior to it and there is pretty much no chance that he could have even listened to a radical preacher.

#306 shastarocket, Jun 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Not only, not kill people, but this was the most horrific mass shooting in US history. I suspect it is truly hard to imagine anyone doing that regardless of what you know about them.

8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

there always have been and always will be crazy people. the difference however is that crazy religious people have that extra push because in their mind it's divine and they will be rewarded.

religion as a weapon is the most dangerous weapon in the world.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I wasn't around when he did what he did, so I the first thought is never about what he did.....but the second thought always is. It's like "Oh yeah I remember ____ we used to hang out at ____'s house.....I can't believe he killed someone and is still on the run"

I still don't see them as a killer even though I know it was something they did.

10. likestohypeguy

Wow, everyone in here is crazy. Brainwashed imbeciles, repeating the same lines, pushing the same agendas over and over regardless the story. With the same people, posting the same arguments against the same opponents. Over and over again. INSANE. But don't worry, everyone seems to do it. In real life and on the Internet.

Kind of funny. Kind of.

I still keep watching, so I'm kind of part of the problem too.

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Let's declare war on terror. It worked so well the first time.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

yea . .. it was religion that dropped two nuclear bombs on Japan.
    Weekly Drone Strikes
    etc
    etc

Rocket River

13. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Get rid of them....how? You mean like in Chicago, where gun crime has sky rocketed? Like that?

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The vast majority of gun used in crimes in Chicago comes from out of state. Indiana's lax gun laws really hurts Chicago:

http://america.aljazeera.com/articl...laws-in-indiana-fuel-violence-in-chicago.html

It's better to make it a little bit harder, but in a way you are right - we need a national policy otherwise people just buy the gun where there are less restrictions.

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Why is that?

16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

The a-bombs have nothing on the the bible death count. god had several genocides throughout. He also wiped out the entire planet once for good measure. Then you include the Crusades, The Muslim Conquests, The French Protestant-Catholic Wars, The Thirty Years' War, etc... religion has the a-bombs by hundreds of millions (maybe billions) on the death count. And worse of all, all those people involved in those religious wars thought they were doing the right thing. Sorry but you're wrong, history has proven that religion is the most dangerous weapon ever created by mankind.

17. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

My thought was...declare war on who exactly? The perpetrator was American, and while he "pledged his support" to ISIS, it' not like he was taking orders from them. And if we are going to invade a foreign country because of hate-inciting preachers, wouldn't it make sense to start locally?

18. mikus

mikus Member

This dude was clearly influenced by his religious beliefs. If he didn't have a direct tie to ISIS, then so be it. He still did it due to his religious Muslim beliefs. If he was white and Christian, would it be necessary to prove a tie to the Westboro Baptists or would we just say that he was a Christian fundamentalist that went crazy?

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Was anyone else surprised by the death rate in this attack? The Aurora killer murdered 12 people out of 400 people in the movie theater with similar weapons. Clearly he must have planned this attack out well and probably knew the building very well.

20. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Similar to what I was thinking. Factor in that he acquired the guns and ammo just days before the shooting. Does anyone know if his AR-15 was full-auto modified?