1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade Dwight Howard for Kevin Love?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Furious Jam, Jun 11, 2016.

?

Would you trade Dwight Howard for Kevin Love?

1. Yes, I would trade Dwight Howard for Kevin Love

191 vote(s)
    70.7%
  2. No, I would rather have cap space than Kevin Love

79 vote(s)
    29.3%
  1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I think

Would you trade Howard for Thompson

Is the real question we should be asking our selves. It's a win-win IMO, Cavs get an immediate upgrade to fuel their championship aspirations, Rockets get a cheaper, younger player who would fit nicely in Howard absence.

Them trading Love for Howard makes no sense on their end, they aren't going to pay Thompson 16 mill to be a backup for Howard and not get a forward back to replace Love.

I think Love for Melo makes a lot of sense as win now move for the Cavs as well.

Irving
    Smith
    Anthony
    LeBron
    Howard

Is a ridiculously good team, good enough to really take on the Warriors.

2. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

boston/LA

3. alethios

alethios Member

Would not take a chance on his injury-prone ass. He is going to break soon and we'll be left with a nicely-dressed cheerleader.

4. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Trade for Love, sign Whiteside. Keep Beasley. That's a nice front line rotation. Maybe pick up Dudley. Explore a trade for Avery Bradley. Now we're talking.

5. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Whats up Corpitos .... Just moved here myself... We are pretty outnumbered by dam spurs fans...only time I can watch the rockets is on espn or nba tv...

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

I agree with JR, don't think the Cavs/Lebron wants him. But yes, i would do it just cause i would trade Love ater to the Celtics, Suns...

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Love only fits this team with Howard.

8. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

If you add Love, you absolutely have to upgrade defensively at the 3-spot. On this team, Ariza is not enough.

Sign Bazemore.

Whiteside's not happening. Sign Mahinmi for cheap.

9. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

of course. love solves many problems w/ and w/o dwight.
    first he's a go to scorer, rockets only have one above avg scorer despite paying for two!
    brings much needed whiteness, too many black guys.
    passing! he can help harden out with running the offense
    more (real) spacing. defenses can sag off the brick bros but not love

and with dwight gone, dont need to go after a defensive AND rebounding center since love can do that. just need a 5 who can playh good defense.
    cap space? who knows how much we'd save by not signing a new cba max contract. a few million, enough for another kj type contract, who should be i nthe rotation btw

10. OTMax

OTMax Member

No, Love is another nightmare..people want to trade Dwight and Ariza for that softie?? The grass people be smoking

11. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I would trade him for Kevin gates.

12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I would take Love, I think D'Antoni would use him well. I don't think the Cavs want Howard though unless he opts in.

13. SK34

SK34 Member

So everyone that voted yes just want the opposing teams to score a whole lot more huh? Love is not a good player, especially won't be good for the rockets.

"Dwight didn't play defense", well sure at times he didn't but at times he played fairly good defense. You guys will go bat **** crazy watching love try to play defense.

The team already sucks on the defensive end and with love, expect a whole lot more scoring from the other teams.

14. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

you guys aren't looking at it right

dwight, ariza, bev for love, shump and moz
    dmo and filler for starting all star pg
    sign starting center and backup pg, can also be kj, playing both backup guard spots.

all star pg / kj
    harden / kj
    shump/ beas
    love /harrel
    capela / moz

i'll take that over conley and horford to 25 per 100/100 times. who knows, maybe the star pg willb e conley so you guys dont have to whine as much lol

15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Love is a good player. Objectively speaking he's a good player.

Once in a while, fans expectations and real circumstances cause a distortion in the definition of good.

Good is good. Kevin Love is a very good player. He can score a lot of points as primary scorer, he fights for loose balls, he goes for a lot of rebounds, very good passer and works hard. He's not Brian Scalabrine or Mareese Speights type of "good". No he's actually a good player, a baller, a guy you would not like to defend regularly. He's a very good player, and I'm sure NBA defenders would tell you that.

He has a decade of experience and he has been to the latter stages of the playoffs a couple of times. Teams coveted him before joining the Cavs and they will covet him at double or triple the price of the average NBA player once Love becomes a free agent or trade target.

That's a very good player even if he sucks at defense, doesn't play well off the ball, hasn't led a team to the playoffs all alone, hasn't won a championship, and has been on two teams that have not overachieved.

Now if you want to say Kevin Love is no Draymond Green on 12 June 2016, great. That's fine. But that doesn't mean Love is not a very very good player. Doesn't mean he's trash. Doesn't mean he's not worth 15-20m in the new CBA. Doesn't mean he can't help a team win a title as its 2nd or 3rd best player.

Our sucky defense and good offense is gone. That team is done, bye bye. At this moment, our defense and offense do not exist. They are neither good nor bad. We just have who we have and we don't know what it's going to look like. The fact that we were bad at defense last season under different players, staff, organizational plan provides no insight into how we should win more overall games next season. We could win more games with 5 offensive monsters while conceding the most points in history. Anything is possible. Love is a very good player. Stupid to discount him based on his one main flaw and ignore all his positives, and same goes for the way you're looking at the team.

1 person likes this.
  16. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Kevin Love needs the ball in his hands to be truly effective and he would not get that here so it would be another miscast player. He is at his best in the post and at the elbow and that just gets in Harden's driving lanes. He is not the type of player that would fit here at all.

You see how he is with Lebron he looks lost and has become mostly a 3 point shooter and you don't pay a guy max money to do that. Cleveland could have found a stretch 4 that made a lot less money and was just as effective as Love is and I hadn't even got into his history of injuries. No thanks to Love.

17. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Love makes too much money as a role player.

18. sydmill

sydmill Member

A trade I posted yesterday:

Love to Boston
    Amir Johnson, Marcus Smart to Houston, picks 16,23 & 35 to Cleveland
    Ariza & Brewer to Cleveland

Why Cleveland does it:
    Primarily because Lebron's best position is the 4 and that is the only position Love can play. Getting out of his salary for what should be the majority of Lebron's effective remaining years is a win. Ariza provides another vet, 3 & D wing (Irving/Smith/Ariza/James/Thompson is a lineup that can take the east and is better suited to take on GS or OKC in the finals). Brewer actually has value on a run and gun team. Cleveland also gets 3 picks to add to an already deep team, they could do much worse.

Why Boston does it:
    They want a star and still believe Love is that. They also still have #3 pick and space to add another piece to their team. Seems like a good use of otherwise middling assets. They really only lose a backup pg and a pf they would likely waive anyhow.

Why Houston does it:
    Smart is a nice prospect but this is really about clearing the books for free agency. By cutting Johnson, we put ourselves at over $50 million to spend this off-season and reduce our cap figure for the next several seasons. In a perfect world we score one of those picks too but I think Cleveland would likely command them given they are parting with the best player in the deal.

19. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

You think Dwight Howard is the differnce in this Series? What are yall smoking? lol

20. StevieCrossover

Would you rather have Kevin Love or no Kevin Love?