1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cyberx: Rockets will go after Durant hard in 2016

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Feb 18, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

It would be different. Harden has a jumper so that particular strategy wouldn't work.

2. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Finally found the link. I remember watching this 3 years ago and i couldn't find it on youtube since Grantland took it down. Anyway..
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/h_sDGRdy0to" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

If you double with Harden's man then all you have to do is throw the ball back to him, he doesn't have to cut. In fact, the cut probably wouldn't be there anyway since teams tend to pack the paint to stop Harden's drives.

If you watched the OKC/GS series you'd have seen that GS kept Bogut and Green in the paint to prevent Westbrook from driving. They left Westbrook free on the perimeter. Westbrook didn't cut because it was pointless, he would be running right into Bogut and Green. The same would apply to Harden, the lane will still be packed because cutting off drives is the top priority but Harden can actually hit a perimeter shot.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

You were at the forefront of Durant/Warriors. Almost insane to say a team should not pursue a player like Durant but if you win 2 championships, how hard is it to suggest you bust up the core a little bit to get a player like that?

Woj: I still think they would do it. The way they beat OKC, it would be awfully hard for Durant to go to Golden State. It reminds me a little bit of Kidd in New Jersey, when he lost to the Spurs in the Finals and then had a decision to make about going to the Spurs as a free agent but in the end, felt he would gravy-training it. There were other factors too. The way the season went for OKC and they found themselves, it's gonna be hard. There was a point of mutual interest. They knew before the playoffs last year they'd be going after Durant. That's how teams, they plan 3-4 years out. I do know they always felt Durant could seamlessly fit in. Not a guy with a big ego. It didn't have to be about him. He likes having Russ & guys who take the burden off him. Golden State felt Durant could take the scoring burden off Steph. They're moving into a big, expensive downtown arena in San Francisco. They gotta pay for that arena. You bring in Durant from your local TV ratings, merchandise, all those things he brings value to, this is a business.

That said, the most likely scenario is he goes back on a 1+1 deal and punts on free agency. I do think he'll go through the process. I don't think this will happen on July 1st, 2nd or 3rd. There will be some kind of a process & it could hold up free agency in July but he can punt this year and put a lot of the pressure on Russ next year. He wouldn't have to be the bad guy. If Russ leaves next year, Kevin can say "Hey, Russ didn't stay, I'm gonna go too." Right now, the pressure is all on Kevin, where you feel they're closer to a championship, closer to Golden State. There's a lot of reasons to want to give it another crack. It'll be interesting to see how Kevin approaches this. I've been told around him, you can categorize free agents in two groups: those looking for reasons to leave and those looking for reasons to stay. I believe he's been looking for reasons to stay and he got them. He found a coach in Billy Donovan who grew rapidly on the job, you saw development of the younger players. Look at the team coming back, they should be a 65-67 win team next year. They can help their bench this summer. There's a lot of momentum for Durant to stay but still his decision in the end.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm not saying 1+1 isn't the best option for him... it probably is.

But I do not buy into the they should be a 65-67 win team next year. For about 2 weeks, albeit in the playoffs and against great competition, they forgot about their 4th quarter and closing problems than have effected the Durant/Westbrook duo forever. It worked somehow. Partly because they built big enough leads before hand so that 4th quarter didn't matter as much. But moreso, they integrated other role players and the Durant/Westbrook push/pull seemed to finally click.

Then it went back to normal.

So sure, if they can play like they did for 2 weeks, the whole season, they can win high 60's. But they can't, and won't.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It's like Durant is going back to OKC. I felt that way as soon as the Thunder beat the Spurs. In fact, if OKC had lost to the Spurs in 7, I might still feel he would go back to OKC.

If the Spurs kept that momentum from game 1 where they blew out the Thunder, and won that series in 5 games etc, THEN I would have seriously thought KD would look around at other teams.

The only way I see KD leaving now is, is he finds a situation that looks "comfortable", NOW, that might not be available to him next year and he is looking down the road at the best landing spot for him.

OKC looks good for next year for sure. But Aelliott pointed out some hard cap truths coming up for OKC that they are going to have to solve. I am sure KD's people will point that out to him.

7. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I could buy them being a 60-62 win team next year. There's a big jump from low 60's (which most years is good enough for best or second best in the NBA) to high 60's (which puts you near the best records of all time). Almost every season one team will get to the low 60's. Having two teams hit high 60's or more like this year is very unique. Having OKC hit the 65-67 win mark means that SAS won't hit that mark again, which isn't too crazy given their age. But it also means that OKC can get Kanter to be a neutral defender, that they can overcome the offensive limitations of Roberson, etc... It's going to take a lot of consistency for OKC to be that good.

8. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Agree. Deuce it may end up being a 1+1 deal he signs to see what Westbrook does but his best chance at winning is hands down with OKC next season. Its a young team with a hell of coach, Adams is a monster and they can possibly add to the bench which will probably make them the favorites next season. In a way Westbrook came into his own even though they blew the 3-1 lead to GS and he's probably the biggest mismatch in the league now. Would love to see Durant come to the Rockets but I personally think its a long shot at best.

9. Vivi

Vivi Member

I agree. They played very well for basically 10 days, but their season wasn't impressive at all, i remember reading a lot of OKC fans angry saying that Donovan wasn't better than Brooks, that Presti did a bad job overpaying Kanter instead of going after a good sg since Roberson can score to save his life, that Ibaka is regressed...

10. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

You can get him to cut to the basket.

He used to cut to The hoop all the time in OKC and his first year in Houston.

He even started doing it more towards the end of the season.

I'm just of the belief that hardrn would play a lot different with KD as a teamate. I think we would see a much better effort on the defensive end and more emphasis on playing better off ball defense. I think he would be really excited about playing with KD again.

11. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Agreed. He'll James played differently ( off the ball ) with Parsons as well. They found each plenty of times on back door cuts. Having another player on the team who can put the ball in the hoop helps a lot

12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

The thunder have potential to be even better next year . Adams is on the rise and waiters showed some life in the postseason . Ibaka had a bit of a down year and I think he will bounce back in a big way , he is too talented not to .

13. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Will 2016 go hard in the Rockets after Durant?

14. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I actually think harden might still avg more points than KD if he came here.

I could see the rebounds and assists maybe go down to like 5 and 5 but I think he could avg 30 ppg easy with KD drawing a lot of attention.

Now KD I think would have a very well rounded 27/8/5

Either wah we would have the highest scoring tandem in the league and both would have a ts% over 60. Super effecient.

You could pencil them in for 55-60 points every game on prob only 35-40 shots.

I hope harden is pumping KD up about playing together I think the partnership would be epic and would be GS toughest test. They can sag off russ, you cant sag off harden or he will make 5-6 threes in a game and break your back. That's got to be appealing to durant. He needs shooters around him and he fouks get a linup with all 35%+ three point shooters around him 1-5 assuming we sign Horford also.

I don't think its a far fetched of an idea as many are making it out to be.

15. basketballholic

While you're at it, pencil in about 10 turnovers a game between the 2 of them. Because without a true offensive point, they'll hit double digit turnovers a ton of games.

16. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Unlikely . The gravity that both of those guys will command should really make our offense run quite smoothly given effective coaching and strategy . Harden produced so many turnovers last season becuase he had to create so much offense while consistently facing multiple defenders shading his way .... Combined with streaky shooting and one dimensional teammates .

Adding a player with the skills of durant is almost and inconceivable boost to our offense . Defenses won't be able to shift their coverage to both if we position them correctly. Both are triple threat monsters . Both can score in the post . If we get a healthy durant we will have the best offense in the league . If both James and durant can both commit to defense and a few of our role players either step up or are upgraded then we will have the best team in the league .

Golden state has great shooters , good defenders , and a great system for its talent. We would have two top 5 players who on any given night could play like the top 2 . They are both that talented AND skilled .

17. basketballholic

Without a facilitator James and KD will have plenty of nightmare turnover games. You can take that to the bank.

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Hence Ricky Rubio, hunh? You can forget him.

1 person likes this.
  19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

lmao

We really still talking about Durant?

20. CCorn

CCorn Member

1+1=2

Kevin Durants # 35. 3+5=8

Hardens number is 13 which has a 1.

281. He's coming to Houston. Book it

Thread Status: