1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Free Agency Ideas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Cashmoney, Apr 28, 2016.

1. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I guess it should go in this thread

Sign TJ McConnell. He'll be a great fit as a backup PG in D'Antoni's system, and would be super cheap

2. tc0330

tc0330 Member

Idea #2

**Assuming Pau Gasol declines his player option
    **Let Dwight Howard, Terrence Jones, D-Mo, Josh Smith Walk

Sign:
    -- Mike Conley @ $10 mil/year
    -- Pau Gasol @ $12 mil/year
    -- Al Horford @ $15 mil/year

New Roster
    PG -- Mike Conley, Patrick Bev, Jason Terry
    SG -- James Harden, KJ McDaniels, Corey Brewer
    SF -- Michael Beasley, Trevor Ariza, Sam Dekker
    PF -- Pau Gasol, Montrezl Harrell
    C -- Al Horford, Clint Capela

Thoughts?

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Um.......I'd say you were joking? Yes?

Conley and Horford will each get $20+ million per year. Gasol might just get more than $12,000,000 that you mention.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nice but probably not realistic.

Conley is getting max money
    I believe Gasol clashed with D'Antoni in LA
    Horford too, will be getting max

5. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

-- Mike Conley @ $10 mil/year?
    -- Al Horford @ $15 mil/year?

R u living in 5 years ago? But this year is 2016 not 2010

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

This scenario has literally zero chance to happen dude...Conley and Horford are gettin the max, the numbers you are suggesting are their current salaries so yeah, no chance.

Regarding Pau eh, i can see him taking a bit more, let's say 15x2, but maybe not, especially if he signs with the Spurs.

7. tc0330

tc0330 Member

Na, I was trying to stay around their current contracts. I couldn't see Conley or Horford getting $20+ mil/year as neither of them had a huge year. But maybe your right, I don't know just throwin out ideas.

8. kwakmeister

kwakmeister Contributing Member

And that's fine. Keep throwing out ideas. I like your targets even if the numbers aren't right. Personally in a fan of keeping Dwight and adding Horford as a 4. Conley is great but $20 might be steep to give to who is going to take the ball out of Hardens hands. I think we could pick up Rondo for 12-15 mill and he would activate Dwight and Beasley. I don't know how well Rondo would fit with a 7 seconds or less offense. He's brilliant and I'm sure he could run it. But if he acts like he did to Carlisle it's best to pass.

For the future of the team though I'm beating the drum that we let Dwight walk, max Harrison Barnes and Hassan Whiteside. GS would have to match, I think. At any rate their maxes are lower and if you could get them for 4 years with hopefully team option then you have a solid young core. If you package Bev and Ariza for a nice starting point guard then you can throw more money for a good 4.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=zrb8t6x

So he obviously has an injury history. Could he be helped by being of the ball? He's 26. Young but veteran. You don't take in any more money.

Bledsoe/Harden/Barnes/X/Whiteside

I've read that both Dmo and Beasley should do well in MDA system so maybe we don't have to get an all star at the 4. Both of them are young too. Ariza, brewer, jet, Dwight... They are all on the wrong side of 30. Get young enough to grow together.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Trade Brewer and KJ with no salary in return then renounce/Waive Howard, Dmo, Jones, Goudlock, Smith, Terry

Sign Horford (23- 25 mill), Sign Clarkson to his max (poison pill contract, starts at 13.5 mill I believe)

Sign one of Batum (or Barnes/Parsons/Fournier) to a deal starting at 16-18 mill)

Clarkson / Beverley
    Harden
    Batum / Ariza
    Horford / Beasley / Harrell
    Capela

+ vet min players

Horford and Clarkson are both 2 position players which is big. Clarkson can play backup SG, Horford backup C which opens up minutes at PG for Beverley and at PF for Beasley/Harrell + Ariza or Batum(small ball)

1 person likes this.
  10. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

One of the best posts I've seen in here. Clarkson would be a sneaky good get and would thrive alongside Harden in a Dantoni system.

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Like your new roster. Rather give max to Batum over Barnes but minor quibble. If either Whiteside or Barnes/Batum do not sign, then option B should be Noah and Deng. Age should not preclude Rockets from bringing in players who are best fits. Noah and Deng also provide leadership, work ethic and other much needed intangibles.

12. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

What would you guys prefer?

Trade Ariza+2ndRder for Taj Gibson, Sign Batum and Horford...

Bev
    Harden
    Batum
    Gibson
    Horford

OR

Sign Batum and Ryan Anderson...

Bev
    Harden
    Batum
    Anderson
    Capela

??

I think id go with the Gibson/Al combo. Either way, really hope we get Batum!

13. a la rockets

a la rockets Contributing Member

Someone mentioned Clarkson. Good fit.

14. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

The maximum amount we can offer is about 59m/4yrs and I think the Lakers would match it with the new salary cap.

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It would be a poison pill contract where if the Lakers match, they would pay MLE(like 6 mill)the first two years, and then the rest of the contract the last two which would be like 23 mill per. The team that offers the contract only has to pay the average though (14-15 per).

Lakers still might match but I think the poison pill would give whoever offers him a contract a real chance.

16. Drake Remoray

Drake Remoray Member

Harrison Barnes and Hassan Whiteside.

We'll clear up the cap room by trading Harden.

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

Clarkson is also a bad shot selection chucker, i think he would be bad for us. But anyway the Lakers can and will match everything, they'll have a ton of money to spend and they will.

18. Vivi

Vivi Member

Anderson is turribul...one of the worst defenders in the league, average rebounder and also an overrated shooter, he shots a lot, and a lot of times his shot selection is just bad, that's why his 3pt% is not that good. And shooting the 3 is basically the only thing he can do decently. Do not want.

D.Mo + Beasley + Harrell at let's say 12x (9x D.Mo...1.5 Beasley...1.0 Harrell) >>> Anderson at 15/20 or whatever he gets.

Gibson is not bad, but he's too old at this point (31 next month), also you'll have to pay him next year, maybe not a lot, but with the projected cap a double digit contract will be a given and he's not worth it at this point.

19. Vivi

Vivi Member

Obviously there are better players out there than Barnes, but i would be ok with this combo cause:

- it will give us 10 more millions in cap space, and that means one more pretty good player or two decent/good bench players

- it will give us the chance to trade a good asset (Whiteside or Capela) if a good trade scenario materializes

- it will give us a younger core, so, in case Harden leaves or gets traded in the future, we would have more young guys ready to play

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think it comes down to cost

Rocket River