1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[PFT] DeAndre Hopkins: We’re the team to beat in AFC South

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fantasma Negro, May 15, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's VERY optimistic that they can have even an average defense. Now sure, if their offense does well and they can managed even an average defense which isn't at all a given, then they'll win some games but several things would have to go terribly wrong for the Texans and Colts and everything would have to go perfectly for the Jags to give them a shot at the division title.

2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

The 2010 Texans went from one of the worst defenses to one of the best in 2011. It's not being "VERY optimistic" that a team could go worst-to-mediocre in one year, especially considering all the players they added.

I know your narrative on this subject is downplaying JAX, but they are a threat. Now, if Brock plays well (7 or better) and Texans are mostly healthy, namely Watt... Texans will win the division.

3. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

BWHAHAHA off the chains.

4. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

True but you might want to start adding up the injuries to key players that they acquired. People are jumping the gun to quickly on what the Jags might do. This was the same narrative going into the 2015 season. In 2014 the Jags had a solid defense and people thought they would be elite. But guess what, they regressed big time. So until they start proving it on the gridiron, they will be viewed as a non threat.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah but in that example they went from Frank Bush, the worst excuse for a defensive coordinator ever, to Wade Phillips one of the best in the game. Oh and they added a guy named JJ Watt.

As to the Jags, the main reasons their draft is so hyped is due to adding a DB with a meniscus tear and a linebacker that we're all just waiting for his knee to explode and his career to be over because he's got such a bad degenerative knee condition that he could have 3 years or less in the NFL, which is why some teams took him off their draft boards entirely.

Of course things could fall into place for the Jags, but I just don't think anyone should assume that they'll be a drastically improved defense this season. Improved, of course, because it would be hard for them to be as bad as they were last season, but all the way to average? I just am not ready to suggest that.

6. LivinLikeLarry

Plus their 3rd overall pick last year, Fowler, is trying to come back from an ACL tear. The defense looks great on paper, but I agree that there is too many 'ifs' for them to assume that they will have this monumental leap this year.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

I'd rather they assume they make the leap and they don't than for them to assume they don't and they do. Of course this is all prediction and speculation and that is all based on what's on paper. Everything is based on what's on paper. That's all we can do at this point.

8. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Fowler is ruled out for those season.

9. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Do you mean this season because I read nothing about Fowler being out for 2016.

10. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Based on last year's numbers, the Jags only have 2 top 10 offenses on their schedule. That's looking at both yards gained and points scored.

Comparing strength of schedule to 2015 defensive rankings there's at least 8 teams in a worse off position than the Jags and they should outdo their 2015 ranking of 24 but probably by 5 spots at most.

11. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

I'm not crowning them, just saying it isn't ludicrous for them to improve to average.

It's a much lesser leap than the 2011 Texans.

12. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I've read a report a few days ago saying he's down for the count.

13. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

You're right he's not missing this season. Wrong report.

14. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

forgot i had uploaded this a while back. from hopkins rookie season. makes the game winning catch

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OAhLn_QR2t4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. texian

texian Member

Makes me miss Arian.

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

ESPN has put out a rather interesting new take on offseason power rankings that orders teams based on their potential for the next three seasons, rather than just their projections for 2016. Here is what they had to say about their criteria for their rankings, as well as how the Texans stacked up against the rest of the league.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/16641745/2016-nfl-future-power-rankings-seattle-seahawks-new-england-patriots-carolina-panthers-earn-high-marks#HOU

17. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Dhop dating Manziel's ex. (Rumor) :p

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hell yes we are !!

DD

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

20. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

He posted an instagram pic of the two of them...definitely hooking up.