1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] D'Antoni emerges as front-runner for Rockets job

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 18, 2016.

?

Would you agree with the decision to hire Mike D'Antoni as head coach?

Poll closed Oct 31, 2016.
  1. YES

12.3%
  2. NO

87.7%
  1. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Harden would thrive in any system but he would get a lot or open looks with Pringles offesne for sure. He alreadg produces more open 3s for teamates than any player in the league and is one of the best pick and roll players in the league also.

If anything he's tailor made for mike Ds offense. It's the other players im worried about.

Capela will do fine but we're is our floor spacing back door cutting teamates to go along with harden and capela? I don't see any.

2. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Cue the clip of the old Spanish guy laughing ..........at this probable rockets coaching decision/hire!

3. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Everyone and their mother and their dog knows the difference between last year and this year was defense. And yet we want Pringles over a proven defensive coach like Vogel?

What the ****!?!?

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

No, Harden will be Harden which is his own thing entirely. It's not Harden you should worry about.

I'm not the one making this argument that the entirety of a coach's success is due to the players though. Monta Ellis played in a defensive system supported by stellar defensive players and one of the best defenders in the NBA.

I could say the same thing about MDA except on offense. I get that he had some bad stints but so did Larry Brown and Doc Rivers for example. Both championship coaches.

Like there are not many coaches that completely dodge failure and I think if people are hailing JVGs success a decade ago and making D'antoni's success irrelevant.

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The offense scored a ton of points so it didn't suck in that sense. The offense was boring, predictable, and frustrating to watch however and I think that is why Les wants D'Antoni. D'Antoni's offense is much more entertaining. If Les can rehabilitate the perception of Harden as an ISO ball hog then his product will be more entertaining to fans. Harden is a damaged entertainment product. I think that's what is really behind this stuff, certainly not winning.

6. hooroo

hooroo Member

Pringles + good defensive players > current Rockets + defensive coach

if this team wants to improve its defense. morey needs to get the players. coaches are secondary to the talent on the floor.

7. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

This is Houston's way of saying we are tanking!

8. Nook

Nook Member

I have no idea how well D'Antoni will do with the Rockets.

What I do know is that the idea his offense needs Steve Nash to be effective is false. The offense in Golden State is largely the offense integrated by Alvin Gentry; who bases his offensive sets/philosophy on what he learned from D'Antoni. The offense will improve to an elite level under D'Antoni; the question is his defense and the culture he builds as a head coach. I think these are valid concerns.

Concerning Vogel. He is a very good person and is a good coach because he is genuine and players want to play for him. Concerning his defense, he delegates a lot of the day to day stuff to his head assistant which is staying in Indiana. Also Vogel is viewed as a bit of a pushover that doesn't like to call out his players. You need the right balance on the bench with someone that has Vogels personality. Indiana had that with a staff of old head hard asses surrounding Vogel. He may well not have that at his next stop.

I would be "okay" with a Vogel hire similar to being "okay" with D'Antoni... But after Thibs went to Minnesota the pickings were all flawed. I personally hoped Messina was given the job or Van Gundy. However like I said a month ago, I had a hard time believing Alexander would let bygones be bygones.

1 person likes this.
  9. dmoneybangbang

That's an interesting take. The "brand" has certainly taken a huge beating this season.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

McHale might not be a great coach. At least he's a good guy. D'Antoni is neither a good coach nor a good guy.

My beloved Rockets have gone from 2008-09 a team of great heart to 2015-16 a bunch of low character guys. Now they are leaning on hiring a low character coach to complete the total makeover. :mad:

I haven't loathed the team so much since the Quitten year.

11. dwhite

dwhite Member

Just saw Vogel to sign tomorrow. We never even gave him an interview. Pathetic!!! All the good ones gone. Welcome to Houston Dantoni :(

12. dmoneybangbang

I mostly agree with this take.

MDA's pedigree is having a great offensive mind and we have an elite offensive player so I can see that this potential hire isn't asinine. Just like our general defensive woes of the last several years would appear to be a good fit with Vogel/JVG.

As I mentioned elsewhere, the assistant coaches make or break head coaches who seem to hang their hat on one side of the ball.

13. Rocket_Man_2.0

Please God no!! Anybody but D'Antoni...JVG wasn't my favorite pick but he's light years better than D'Anotni! Rockets are doing everything they can to drive me away as a fan!:mad:

14. dmoneybangbang

I get that.

I wasn't aware Pringles had a bad rep from a character point of view, is that from PHX or afterwards?

15. Rocket_Man_2.0

If Rockets hire no D'Antoni...I guarantee you they'll suck! Harden will get fed up and leave us!:(

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

So it's fair to say that we should have high expectations for our team to suck again next year? I've learned to not get emotionally invested with the team. If they win, great and when they suck, oh well. Right now this team deserve nothing more than bandwagon fans because it's obvious that management (or Le$) doesn't have championship as a goal.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Nice post, repped.

For some reason a lot of people on this forum like to bounce off of each other mimicking the next posters opinion and emotion, before you know it the whole forum is flipping out, panicking about how terrible a MDA hiring would be.

Is everybody missing the critical bit of information released about how hiring a very strong defensive assistant coach would be integral to hiring D'Antoni? That's huge.

MDA is highly skilled offensive coach, if we hire a highly skilled defensive assistant to pair with him I don't see why fans would be so upset. We need a skilled, veteran coaching staff ready to implement real systems on both sides of the court.

Just because we won't be hiring a famously tough defense focused head coach like JVG or Thibs, doesn't mean we couldn't still hire a excellent defensive assistant coach who could improve this team to it's fullest potential on defense.

I'd be very happy with MDA with a great defensive coaching staff next to him.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Probably sometime in NY. I live in LA, so I heard lots of things when he was there. He never takes responsibility of his failure, always blaming others. That's a sure sign of a bad leader.

19. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

If this comes out to true.....

[​IMG]

20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

so we'll play less defense and 7 seconds or less offense with our shooters?!?! Yikes!!!