1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] D'Antoni emerges as front-runner for Rockets job

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 18, 2016.

?

Would you agree with the decision to hire Mike D'Antoni as head coach?

Poll closed Oct 31, 2016.
  1. YES

12.3%
  2. NO

87.7%
  1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Because he played better is easier explained by the slashers and shooters at Phoenix. Stoud, Marrion, Barbosa, Bell, they complemented him perfectly. Nash didn't become a much better player overnight.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Steve Nash
    "Mike D'Antoni changed the game of basketball," Nash said. "There's not many people you can say that about. No wonder I had my best years playing for him. His intelligence guided him to never over-coach, complicate or hide behind the game's traditions. He deserves a championship."

Steve Kerr
    “I think Steve kind of laid out a vision for a whole generation of young point guards. And with the game changing, Mike D’Antoni kind of initiating that style in Phoenix, the floor starting to spread, the whole league kind of playing shooting fours and fives and playing a little faster. I think Mike and Steve in many ways set the table for Steph Curry. And I think Steph would tell you that too. He has great respect for Steve.”

But hey, it's probably the dumbest hire to ever happen right?

3. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

This feel like Raneiri in Leicester all over again. The pundits and fans hated the hiring before the start of the season because of his tenure in Greece but eventually proved everyone wrong. MDA is a good coach. That Laker team was old and injury plagued and was destined to failure.

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

He didn't win squat. We don't want a game changer, we want a winner.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Neither of those quotes refuted anything I said. And if you ignore context, I guess you could make that last assertion. On a team that is deplorable on the defensive end, like our GM himself said we should do (common sense) , wouldn't it make sense to hire a defensive guy or even someone balanced, as opposed to a guy that never had a good defensive team and was exposed for it repeatedly by SA?

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

It sounds like "random guessing" when it's a fact that he's resigned at every stop he's been at in the NBA?

You know what's not random guessing?

2010-2011 season:
    D'Antoni's first season as the Knicks' head coach. His team was 28-26 before the Carmelo trade. What was their final record? 42-40.

Indiana fired Jim O'Brien after a 17-27 record and handed the team over to Vogel. How did they finish the season? Going 20-18 under Vogel

2011-2012 season:
    D'Antoni got a lockout shortened season but Melo, Stoudemire, etc all healthy at the beginning. What happened? His team crawled to an 18-24 record only to see D'Antoni chunk the deuce and negotiated his buyout.

Meanwhile, Vogel's first year as head coach, Indy finished the season with a 42-24 record (3rd in the East) with no Pacer player averaging more than 19 points a game.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

What coaches out there have championships to their name?

Yes it does, your argument that MDA had no or little effect on Nash becoming an MVP player when Nash and Steve Kerr both said it right there.

Nash played the perfect style for his game and thus MDA got the most out of it.

Sort of like Dwill being a dominant player under Sloan and being just starter material everywhere else.

Was Nash good in Dallas, yes.

Nash was GREAT in Phoenix and it'll put him in the HOF.

8. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

There are no winners out there. Messina maybe? but he was Assistant.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Every coach gets fired, even guys that have won championships can get kicked out of the door.

He's had failure and he's had success, like most coaches not named Phil Jackson and Popovic...and the latter has worked with the same group of players his entire career.

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Fair enough however how many coaches out there have had a 2 time MVP and won squat? D'Antoni's teams play horrible defense. THIS team plays horrible defense. On what planet does someone say, oh, good match. What? No.

11. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

So next season we still say our ZERO defense because of effort???

12. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

This.

MDA's team has ZERO defense.

People know that well.

13. steddinotayto

Right and what happens when D'Antoni DON'T have the right players to run his offense? Look, if you want to believe that MDA created Nash's greatness, that's fine. You can believe whatever you want. But the fact of the matter is, if D'Antoni does not have the personnel to run his offense his team sputtered.

If you also believe Harden is a D'Antoni type of player that will embrace the offense and become better then that's fine because, again, you can believe whatever you want. But truth of the matter is, his offense does not fit with the personnel of this team.

14. steddinotayto

lol again, the guy has RESIGNED meaning that he's quit on his teams. How is that hard to understand? It's one thing to do it once but it's another to do it at. every. stop.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Speaking of that, Dwight ran SVG out of town and his next stop he's doing pretty well right?

The Knicks were so-so, but let's not forget the amount of failed coaching that has happened there. Carmelo has off the top of my head been through like 8 or so coaches in his career now.

I really don't know if MDA is the guy, but all of these coaches left have flaws.

Messina is a coach with no NBA experience, Pop disciple...sure...so was Mike Brown. Had success in Europe, a place where teams can stack talent. Could be another Blatt. Great with strategy but strategy is nothing if you can't handle NBA ego's.

JVG is basically the opposite of MDA. A defensive mastermind but offense may look sluggish.

Vogel could be a solid hire, personally I think he's done about right for that team.

The only other option would be to look at college coaches and that comes with a risk too.

The best coach that was out there took the best job that was out there and that's Thibs, then we missed out on Joerger the other great coach out there and now either way we are taking a risk.

16. steddinotayto

You say Vogel's overrated but then you say Joerger's great? He inherited a team that went to the Conference Finals the year prior to his arrival.

Everyone wants to praise this year's team for being tough...um..that's within their culture and their players' DNA. Joerger didn't do jack to make these guys tough. They were 30-22 before Gasol got injured and limped to a 42-40 record.

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Lol, I don't have to believe it. Nash believed it and I think his opinion on the matter probably ranks over mines or yours.

I think Harden will adapt to whatever the coach wants to do. This team will have bigger problems just getting talented players around him.

This team plays horrible basketball period. The offense sucked too.

Are you sure he quit or was it more like the team told him what was up and he decided that he'd take a resignation rather than being fired? I really don't know, to say he quit though maybe you have some information about it that I don't.

Sounds like the Lakers and him reached an agreement and weren't moving forward with him any ways.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

And? Vogel's team is full of defensive players so if you are using this logic then you can't credit him for much of the success either.

Either you are going to credit a teams W-L record to the coach or you are not.

Yes they played tough under Joeger but they also quite simply lacked talent.

19. buffalobills!!!

20. steddinotayto

Therein lies the problem again. In order for Mike's offense to run effectively he needed a Nash. In order for Linsanity to happen, he needed a guy that could do what Lin did.

Can Harden do what Lin did? I don't think we need to argue there. But can Harden do what Nash did?

? You DO realize that Vogel had Monta Ellis as a starter this season and yet his team finished 3rd in defense right?

You ALSO realize the year before this year, the year Paul George was out and the year Roy Hibbert decided to end his career by sucking, his team was ranked 7th in defense right?

And the year before that, his team ranked 1st in defense and a good amount of that was due to Lance Stephenson playing like he never played before.