1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets leaning towards D'Antoni is also a way to show Dwight the door

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, May 18, 2016.

1. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

The season hasn't even started and it's already over.

2. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

This just shows how little you know:confused:

3. ChineseJSmoove

Howard and MDA, oil and water!

4. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

Dwight won't go anywhere until he gets a better offer, which isn't forthcoming. I expect Dwight to be here next year, and I also expect him to shut it down preseason for the entire year. The Rox are headed to a top-3 ping-pong ball next year.

5. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Messina/Vogel as head coach + Mike D'Antoni as offensive coordinator would be just fine. I don't see how D'Antoni as head coach addresses the issues on this team.

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

It doesn't , but front office slurpers like yourself don't care.

7. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

So they want Howard to opt out by destroying this team???

WTF???!!!!!!!

8. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

:(:(:(:(:(

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

this is so embarrassing and proves just how big of a joke this organization is. They basically chase after FAs and then pull crap like this to get a player to opt out?

Wow...just wow.

10. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Apex Alexander :eek:

11. finsraider

finsraider Member

Why would it be that big a deal? If he opts in, just trade him. Tons of teams will have cap room and would take him for free.

12. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Interesting take towards D12, Cyber. Thank you.

I haven't heard that side, but even though his season was horrendous at times, this approach to signing a coach makes Dwight appear to be the cancer that ESPN loves label him as. (BTW, F cancer!)

But....Doesn't Mikey D get a chance at the game regardless of Dwight's decision? Isn't the writing on the wall? Why react to a contract year with a coaching era?

From what I've heard, and what seems relatively clear from the games, clique disfunction, public discussions and " team morale," is that only one player on the Rockets has any sort of pull. I'd assume that everyone not named James Harden is an asset in trade discussions.

I'm not arguing that player-control is "good" or "bad," but there are certain talents in the NBA that you have to build around and/or nurture.

13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

To that note (which I agree on), whoever is deeming D'Antoni the front runner--whether it's Harden, Morey, Les, or a combination of the 3--will be in for a rude awakening when things go sour and D'Antoni asks for a buyout and resigns.

Harden's game can still evolve and I believe he still has a couple of levels to go before he reaches his peak. That being said, now is not the time to bring in a coach that didn't make fans out of Hall of Famers (Kobe), All-Stars (Melo and Amare), etc.

He might have developed an offense that eventually worked in Golden State but coaching is half about system and half about how effectively you communicate with your players. The latter is something D'Antoni, based on what's been said after his departures, lacks.

2 people like this.
  14. Vnilla_Gorilla

Bull****, another "this makes sense so lets throw it out and look like a genius if it hits" post.

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Totally agree. Pringles was only "good" when he had prime Steve Nash running his offense. People, including Les, should think about that for a second.

16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

well clearly if you don't think Harden is as good as Nash, then you're not a real Rockets fan. :grin::grin: Les knows Pringles is gonna make us great again. ;)

17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

This is a TOTAL Les move. It makes perfect sense.

"Les, I think we should re-sign Goran. I think he'll keep on improving"
    "F*** that crybaby. Who's that kid in New York? Jerry Lin? Didn't we have him on our roster?"
    "Jeremy Lin. Yes but we didn't have time for him to play and--"
    "F*** that noise. Bring him back. Forget Drago or whatever his name is. I want Linsanity! I want that excitement again!"
    "But Linsanity was such a small sample size and--"
    "F*** your TI-83! Bring me LIN!!!!"

Years later....
    "Les, I think we have a few good candidates. Vogel is still available, Messina is ready to be an NBA coach, Jeff said he's open to coming back"
    "I was taking a s*** this morning and read this article on the iPad Chris Bosh returned. It said that Kerr is crediting a Mike D'Antoni for the Warriors success"
    "I read that too but Mike's had a pretty lackluster career after Phoenix and--"
    "F*** that talk. Lackluster? He's not your grandma's silver. I want my team to run and gun like the Warriors! You understand me?!?"
    "Understood. That's why I have our teams shooting ridiculous amounts of 3s every game. But I think we might need to focus on def-"
    "F*** your thoughts. Offense means points. Points means championships! If you outscore your opponent then you don't need to worry about defense!"
    "Right but the Warriors also had the best defense last y--"
    "F*** your plus minus jargon. Bring me D'Antoni!!!"

2 people like this.
  18. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

to be fair, nash was just another nice pg until he ran pringles offense.

19. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I'm not a fan of Pringles but harden would be really good in his system. Unlike Melo and the kobe Bryant he got to coach harden is actually one of the best pick n roll passers in the game, has been since his 2nd year in the league.

The lakers actually played really well in the 2nd half of that season when kobe started playing point guard and not trying to shoot everytime down the court. It blew up when kobe below his Achilles out.

Get some shooters around harden and he can win 50+ games easy. Is tha enough to beat the big dogs? No because those teams have 2-3 allstars on them. But if you win 50+ games with a deep team surrounded by harden some Allstar level guy will come or force a trade here. It's easier to see yourself as the missing link when the team doesn't have dwight Howard. Players just really don't respect him or his game anymore and a lot of them have a legit reason. Everyone and there mom knows he's not the player he seems to think he is and that's got to be annoying as hell if your harden or even Ariza level players.

20. rockets13champs

Messina and Dantoni have different offensive philosphies.
    Vogel and Dantoni would make for a fire combination tho.
    Or messina and vogel would be a nice second