1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sirius XM

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Surfguy, May 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Does anyone pay for this service?

I'm kind of digging my free trial in my car.

I heard they start hounding you when your free trial nears expiration and, if you play hold out for a long time, the offer will keep getting better and better.

Any truth to that? I miss Howie. I guess I'm wondering what is a really good deal for this service?

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I pay for it. I like it in the car, and use the app to listen principally to sports here and there throughout the day.

I'd rather not pay for anything, but I've thrown more money and gotten less personal enjoyment out of a ton of stuff.

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

They do hound you. I got a new car in March, and I get multiple letters in the mail a week from them it seems like. I don't use the service much, as I'm mostly a podcast listener when I drive, but it's good stuff. Probably worth it to buy it if you're enjoying it enough. It's not like it's a ripoff or something.

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if you're trial runs out they will continue to send you pretty good deals. Or you can just call and go through the negotiation process...stick to your guns about how you can't afford the current rate and they will offer you less.

5. Surfguy

I thought there were more channels...like under the Rock category. I was disappointed I couldn't find a Rush (the band) channel. But, for whatever reason, Tom Petty gets a channel. Sinatra gets a channel. From what I've heard, I don't think those are strictly exclusive to only their own music on those channels. I dunno...I'm still sorting through that mess of categories.

6. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I've had it since it came out and to me all of the music channels have turned into FM radio like crap. It used to be good NEW music and old hard to find music but now it's DJ's, commercials, FM Alternative music, etc. I find MUCH better "channels" on Spotify or Google Play. Even their sports live broadcasts have turned to crap with the hour long delay. Listening to the Astros the other day, I went to check my fantasy team and while on Sirius they were in the 1st inning the actual game was in the fourth. WTF is that?

I keep it for Stern but his show is so bad and hard to listen to now that he's become "Hampton's Howard" that once my last billing cycle ends in August I'm done. I can torrent his shows if needed.

7. davo

davo Contributing Member

I've had it for 5 years and love it. I cancelled after my initial trial period, and after about 3 months of ignoring them, they offered a really sweet deal. But after that, no more sweet deals:p

8. VanityHalfBlack

Got a good deal on it for a year. I love it in the car.

9. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I had it... But between poor sound quality, Spotify and now Apple Music, I gave up on it a long time ago.

More than anything I just miss some of the hosts from Shade 45. Rude Jude, Sway, Who Kidd etc. Still don't feel like I'm missing much though.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I can't bring myself to pay that much for one car. If the monthly fees included both cars and my home receiver for my surround system, I would have kept one of 2 or 3 "trial offers" we've had. In my humble opinion, they would get far more customers if they gave you both cars and your home (assuming you have 2 or more cars and have the ability to use it in the house). Look at the Netflix business model. Those people know what they are doing!

11. da_juice

da_juice Member

It came with my Dad's car and he would cancel it- and then keep getting free trial offers to keep it going, so you can definitely play hardball. It's great for roadtrips or but other than that there's not much point.

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I bought an Inno back in '06 to listen to Air America, but ended up discovering O & A and Ron and Fez. I was primarily getting it for home use, and they didn't have the car kit for it at the time; but the sales clerk said since I bought it they'd call me when they got one in stock. Thing is, this was CompUSA, so yeah.

13. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

[​IMG]

14. duwende

duwende Member

It's the only thing I listen to since 2006. My channels: 90s on 9, Pop2K, BPM, CNN, comedy central, Lithium, XMFly. I drive a lot to Dallas, Austin, etc and it's a great system to listen to during those long car drives (and Houston traffic).

15. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

You need to request to cancel when contract is up .. You can get 6 months for $24 and at the end of the 6 months do the same thing again .. I've had it for about 3 years and love it

16. TMAC3

TMAC3 Member

Yeah I also continue to the 6 months for $24. It's unreal that they continue to do this and people dont know about it and still pay their ridiculous full price.

If you are paying more than $5 a month call to cancel and say youll stay for 6 for $24

17. Surfguy

I'm already hearing the same songs repeat and it has been less than a week. There's nothing worse I hate than repetition. I pretty much gave up Pandora for similar reasons.

18. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

In my opinion, the Ap version sounds much better than the satellite version. (satellite sounds compressed and muffled to me)
    I pay$99 a year for it in my wife's car because it's convenient for her, but I bluetooth it off my phone in my car on the $5 a month Ap.

I'm a geezer so I listen to Tom Petty's Buried Treasures most, Bluesville, Van Zandt's Garage, The Loft and Soultown some.

For the above guy's Pandora issues: Set up all 100 channels to bands or stations you like of varying styles, even add 3 or 4 more to each with the 'added variety' option so you have maybe 2 or 3 hundred bands, then set it "shuffle" and enjoy.

(it sound daunting to enter 200 bands or styles or stations but it's really not)

19. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

channel 50 (soul) has been playing prince 24-7 since he died. lots of deep cuts and rarities!

20. Sajan

Sajan Member

The quality is so bad to me.

Otherwise I wouldn't mind paying the 5 bucks...but i just pay 10 for spotify and get much better quality and I get to listen to what I want.