1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BiGGieStuFF, Mar 9, 2016.

1. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Depends on your use case. Three years is a long time for now.

Check out the Nexus 6...it will receive the latest updates for years to come.

2. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I second this. I bought a Nexus 6 for $250. Still running very smoothly and gets direct updates. The thing is a little unwieldy due to its size but it has a beautiful quad-HD AMOLED panel and more than enough power in terms of its specs. And the battery life is pretty solid once you upgrade to Android 6.0 and above.

3. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I'm super interested in the Nexus 6P. Is there any rumor of a Nexus 7 or when that might come out? I love my HTC One M8, the M9 and 10 seem like marginal upgrades.

I'm not into Samsung or Touchwiz and I love getting the latest Google updates.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

nvm.....

#84 Haymitch, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  5. Takeoff

Takeoff Member

I'm also really into the Nexus 6p right now. Any thoughts guys?

6. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

This is the first text/messenger to speech app that I've actually enjoyed using and makes me not miss the moto voice that much anymore. The interface is nice with the large icons but the best part is that it mostly works!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.drivemode.android&hl=en

Most of the other 3rd parties out there like Agent: and readittome suffer from glitchy performance where it keeps repeating the message or it quits before you can respond or just a lack of polish.

This one is awesome so far.

7. geeimsobored

The next Nexus phone is going to be designed by HTC so if you're looking for a successor to the M8, you might want to wait for the next Nexus release.

But the Nexus 6P is beautiful and is priced extremely well. It's still as good as any new flagship in my opinion.

8. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

have had it since release. super nice phone but seems brittle. reports of bending are prevalent. i simply don't sit with it in my pocket (just comb reddit for pics). pretty sure i'm in the minority, but i long for the day's of premium PLASTIC phones. nexus 5 was the best build imo.

also as geeimsobored mentioned above, the next one will surely be out in six months and likely by htc. been clamoring for htc to build one for a while now. although it won't be plastic (le sigh), their metal builds are quality.

9. Takeoff

Takeoff Member

Gotcha thanks bro! Yeah I agree the Nexus 5 really was a fantastic build. In fact the only reason I'm in the market for a new phone right now is because my current Nexus 5 received some damage and it's close to being nearly bricked. I'd like to wait until later in the year to see how the new one looks but I may have to bite the bullet right now

10. geeimsobored

Any thoughts on the Nexus 5x then? Its on sale for $200 if you sign up for Google Fi (which you can then immediately cancel).

11. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

I was in the same boat 4 months ago when my Note 2 died. Jumped on the Nexus 6P. I've read the bending reports on XDA, but I have a feeling it's more a quality control issue for a small percentage with Huawei than design.

That said, I've been more conscious and will remove it from my front pocket if I need to bend over. The larger size may be harder for you coming from a N5 vs my Note 2.

Only cons I have are processor related. 810 still heats up, and I've seen some throttling when gaming for extended period of time or while charging.

It's still a solid smartphone even with among the new phones. If you can wait it out with a backup phone, the newer 820 might be worth it.

12. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Anyone want to buy a new LG G5 for T-Mobile? It's Silver, 32GB, brand new. I turned it on to make sure it works, and connected to my work WiFi. It sells for $629 plus tax, but on Swappa there are lots of them around $430-$500. If anyone wants to buy mine I'll let it go for $400.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Looks like i'm holding on to my G2 a little longer -- the last big update I really didn't like hopefully this one is a bit smoother.
    _____

LG G2 Gets That Much Sweeter With Android 6.0 Marshmallow

link

14. OmegaSupreme

getting that itch again. htc m10 is calling my name. :(

15. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

If you're in the market for a new phone, I'd say the two best options are either Nexus 6P or Samsung S7 Edge...depending on your budget.

The 6P is probably better value, while the S7 Edge has the small edge in being the better phone.

16. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Maybe this has been discussed here already, excuse me if it has but don't feel like making a new thread for this topic. What's up with cellular companies going away from 2 year contracts and reduced phone prices? Now they're leasing them or you pay full price? Any way around this?

17. geeimsobored

Its no different than a contract. Contracts forced you to pay inflated monthly rates for 2 years to subsidize a discounted upfront price for the phone. Now, they're charging you actual rates for service and you can either lease a phone or pay for it in monthly installments (or buy it outright).

They just split the phone from service costs. It all adds up to roughly the same thing as before (unless you were on some grandfathered plan that gave you a great rate with a phone subsidy) For people like me who only buys used phones, the abolition of contracts has been a huge win since I'm no longer forced to pay artificially high rates. Plus with 2 year contracts, if you wanted to use your phone more than 2 years, you lose money.

18. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

This has been mostly an American thing. Most other countries operate on a prepaid system, not contracts. Customers were not interested in paying inflated service when they already owned the phones. The FCC would eventually put pressure on companies to start disclosing true costs. Additionally contracts are easier to break. If a carrier forces a customer to change their price of any feature, that is grounds for termination of service. When this happens, the customer gets to keep the phone and the carrier is out pocket.
    Some carriers lease and some carriers finance the price of the phone. Either way, if a carrier changes pricing or makes a change, the customer is still on the hook for paying for that phone. Financing and leasing are much more binding.

19. OmegaSupreme

20. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

1 person likes this.