1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Evacuate] Highway 6 to be closed up to 6 weeks, possibly

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cohete Rojo, Apr 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

[rQUOTEr]Highway 6 could be closed for a month in wake of Houston floods

Harris County Judge Ed Emmett said Highway 6 – between Clay and Park Row -- might be closed for four to six weeks because of high water that's seeping down from rain soaked north and northwest Harris County.

Emmett said at a press conference Wednesday that roadways around Addicks Reservoir – including Highway 6 – and some homes could be affected as streams and waterways continue to dump water into the reservoir. Army Corps of Engineer officials said they were not yet ready to release water from the dam.
    [/rQUOTEr]

2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Used to live near there and frequent Bear Creek Park and the Golf Course. The entire park and golf course are in the Addicks Reservoir. There isn't any homes "in" the reservoir but there are some big neighborhoods right across the Golf Course on Clay Rd. What sucks is that many folks work in the Park Ten area (right across the Addicks levy) and Hwy 6 is the main way in and out. Folks will have to use Barker Cypress Rd but it can't hold as much traffic. Eldridge is also possible (which also goes right over the Addicks but doesn't flood) but it's a bit out of the way.

They should use these 6 weeks as a lesson that folks would put up with construction closes to raise Hwy 6 higher over the Addicks. At least they would get a long term solution from the short inconvenience.

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The traffic on Clay heading west from the beltway is going to be biblical during rush hour. That and 290 out to Highway 6.

I am glad I don't live out there. Driving out there during rush hour was already a nightmare with all the roads open.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

How worried should people in bear creek be?

1 person likes this.
  5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Right now Fry Road is the only way you can get down to I-10. Took me like an hour to get from Little York to I-10 yesterday. Ridiculous.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm worried about roads like addicks satsuma being impassable. Don't want to be trapped away from the house.

Trying to sort through misinformation to figure out if bear creek area is in actual danger or just hype

7. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I worked at Bear Creek Golf Course in 2001 during Allison. I went 21 days without working at all and The Master's course was closed for 100 days.

But, that's what the reservoir is there for, and it's doing what it was designed to do. The Corps won't open the floodgates until the downstream threat (River Oaks) is abated, then they will drain it slowly.

I am a little puzzled that when they widened Hwy. 6 (1998?) they didn't raise it above the expected storage elevation.

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

And Fry Road was already a huge piece of **** before the floods.

9. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

Lived in the area for close to 15 years... traffic on West Little York, 529, Clay, Fry is going to suck!! Might have to take Mason towards I-10.

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I lived in that area for a year and swore I would never live there again. Why anyone would choose that area is beyond me. Even if I worked in the Energy Corridor I couldn't deal with the traffic and general feeling of doom being there evokes.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

According to what I saw yesterday Mason is more flooded than anywhere else and Grand Parkway is worse.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I drive that part of highway 6 to and from work.

So now my options are:

take Barker Cypress all the way up towards 290
    take I-10 to beltway 8 to 290
    (if 99 is opened - I think it is) take I-10 to 99 and go north to 290

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

They should go through Katy, it should be pretty empty there.

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Clay is closed from the beltway to highway six.

15. Indaface

Indaface Member

Clay is open @ Brittmoore just west of the Beltway. So you can take Clay to Brittmoore take a right on Brittmoore then take a left at Tanner to get to Eldridge.

All those roads were open for me this morning on my way into work.

16. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Good thing I moved away from 290 and back to the Westheimer area. **** all of that noise.

17. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

I think that 99 is still closed at Clay or Morton Ranch.

18. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Anyone know the situation on Little York between the Beltway and 6?

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Was fine yesterday when I drove it. One of the only ways to quickly get out of Copperfield / Bear Creek. Take Eldridge down to Tanner to B8 to save some of the buildup on Little York.

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I've heard conflicting things. I heard that but also heard that it's only the frontage roads that are closed.