1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Jvg not interested in Rockets because of relationship with owner

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Great info Nook. If the 76ers want to go with D'antoni, they might be willing to let Brown go. I would be fine with Brown because he would bring in a system. But can he change the culture? That's the big thing.

Joerger would be great if the Rockets could get him.

2. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

Scott Brooks a "splash hire"?

lmao

3. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Anyone but JBB or Kelvin Sampson.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

meh. Could work, but impossible to judge.

Think he is definitely a competent coach... but again.. .kind of meh...

Geez, that's moronic. They should hire the best coach.

He basically just had a failed run. Why would he even be considered?
    If you're saying he makes sense on paper, then you're saying the Rockets don't care about VERY recent coaching success when dealing with a former head coach... which isn't logical on the face of it.

Whether its Messina, Walton or some other "hot" assistant coach that comes in and aces an interview, has stellar reputation, etc, etc... this is the way I'd go definitely.

Scalabrine is hilarious.. but does being a favorite of DM make him a potential head coach candidate? That doesn't make sense. he is on basically nobodies radar as a head coach.

5. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Le$ are Maury are just embarrassments.

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

If you want to see some great coaching, check out the Boston vs Atlanta game tonight. We need to hire someone who understands tomorrow's NBA.

7. htown1984

htown1984 Member

so for the experts out there?

What are some good GM candidates out there?

does Thibs control include being the GM? or just having some input

8. houtown

houtown Member

When Kevin Sampson replaced McHale for a while, some people were hoping McHale would come back quicker to coach. I think that might signify about how well Kevin Sampson coached in his brief time as coach.

Not to mention, he abandoned the team for a job in the middle of a playoff run at the time.

9. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Only five more days to GOT premiere, can't wait.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Hollins has a history of success in Memphis and is fairly well known by basketball fans.... in that respect that makes sense. It doesn't matter, I would be shocked if Morey wanted him after their discussions in the past.

Les Alexander always wants to make a splash, and what he views as "good" or "great" isn't always the same as his front office.

Scalbrine? Hence why I said a real dark horse. He is very very well thought of around the NBA. He isn't on anyone's radar because he has rejected offers to return to coaching. He is a favorite of Thibs and Doc Rivers. He was offered a job by the Bulls and Thibs but turned it down. He did the same with the Celtics. If he chooses to get into coaching, he won't have any difficulty doing so.......

I personally would want to interview Messina and see how good he comes across. Harden needs someone that is an alpha and will push him very hard... not a coincidence Harden really likes Thibs and he is quite possibly Thibs favorite player.

My "concern" is that the front office is going to be forced to hire someone that will not fit the philosophy of the organization. The Rockets need a strong coach that Morey and the players respect; but also gets along with the organization..... there are not many well known and established coaches that fit that criteria..... they either want total control (Steve VanGundy, Thibs, Rivers) or they already are under contract (Carlisle)..... I just don't know that the Rockets front office will have the power to name a lesser known coach, after the McHale/Bickerstaff years.

As far as realistic options, I prefer Brett Brown or Messina.

11. Nook

Nook Member

It isn't fair to judge an assistant subbing in for an existing coach. Sampson ran the offensive and defensive principles McHale wanted..... as for leaving leading up to the playoff run, Morey knew when the Rockets hired Sampson that he was looking for a head coaching job. I don't think that there is long term animosity there, but likewise; I don't think Les will want someone connected in anyway to this current team... which Sampson is by default.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I wonder who will get the Alvin Gentry award of assistant coach for an awesome team, that really is not all that good without the awesome team's talent?

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Aren't you just sick/annoyed that Les is still going to be an intimate part of this process?

I know its unavoidable to tell an owner to not meddle with his own team... but a lot of the perception and credibility issues the Rockets currently have are based on poor/rash judgements by its owner (whether it was hiring a yes-man like McHale, to extending him, to firing him early... all point towards utter cluelessness).

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

re: AG — Luke Walton? ;)

That's if he leaves GS.

15. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Or Lebron and Dan Gilbert.

16. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Another awesome post, Nook. Good info. So you are saying Harden is Thibs' favorite player? That is interesting. 100% agree the Rockets need a firm hand and a coach that can be a catalyst for Harden.

I wonder if Les would go as far as hiring Thibs (splashy move) and marginalize Morey's role. And would Morey then end up doing a Hinkie and moving on?

18. Nook

Nook Member

It is unlikely Les Alexander fires Morey so what does it matter?

Highly thought of candidates include Gabe Farkas, Kirk Lacob are a couple of well thought of candidates.

Thibs would have final say over all basketball related decisions. The GM would be similar to Buford in San Antonio or Bower in Detroit.

19. htown1984

htown1984 Member

So final say on finalized trades? Free Agents? etc...

20. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Lack of Trust at the top of the food chain all the way down to the players on the court....not surprised if this is true as it shows