1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For the minority of "fans" who felt we were better off making the playoffs...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nick_713, Apr 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

DAMN IT J.R. You Win!!!

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is what you call a short term plan. While you think attractive FAs might consider Houston, the long term plan would still be getting Top 10 picks all the way.

I agree this year might be too late and we have Harden and couple of ok role players that can get us close to 0.500 every year, but this is a fluke

We should be really considering rebuilding from scratch instead of hoping for Durant to come.

Morey is hijacking our best years and it feels like Yao years again, injured years with hoping he would come back.

In the end he did not come back!!!! (Morey is just a hopeless star chaser or a Yes man to star chaser Alexander)

3. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

Meh. What do we have to lose? JB should be fired though. Guy is awful. Just a terrible terrible coach. Corey Brewer should bench himself. Not playing Beasley is ridiculous. No we wouldn't have won with him in but to play lineups that were never used in the regular season to win a playoff game is dumb. Fire him and Morey.

4. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

We would have a trade piece if we missed the playoffs. We screwed around made the playoffs got embarrassed today Harden and Howard were a non factor and the game was a rout. The fact that the entire second half was basically garbage time and the Warriors best player didn't play and we never got closer than 15. This ****storm all goes back the overreaction of firing McHale 11 games into the season.

We complained about these issues in October and 6 months later nothing has changed.

Bad Defense
    Turnover
    Lack of Effort
    No sense of urgency
    Terrible shot selection

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

1) Every team will have money this offseason with the cap going way up.

2) Harden ain't the only superstar in the league. Plus he's the kind of star who dominates the ball and plays no defense.

3) Free agents will NOT have any input on the head coach. We can't sign any players til July. If the Rockets wait til then to hire a coach, all the good ones won't be available anymore. And it's debatable whether any respectable coach will wanna take over this mess anyway.

4) We are not constantly in the playoffs. We had a 3 year drought before Harden was dealt here. And we barely got in this season.

5) No state taxes is overrated. There are other places that offer that advantage(Dallas, San Antonio, Orlando, Miami, Memphis). Plus free agents will be far more concerned about the state of the team they're going to rather than the taxes they may or may not have to pay.

1 person likes this.
  6. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

I'd say Houston was a free agent destination, and they almost snagged Chris Bosh because of it. But this season happened and now the franchise looks like a hot mess. Maybe if they hire a coach with serious credibility, it'll fix the image but right now...they seem like an aimless team that puts in little to no effort and is nowhere near contender status.

In an environment where nearly every team will have cap space and a bunch can clear max cap space with a move, that doesn't add up to free agent destination.

7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I thought it would be different . I thought we would at least give the starters a chance .

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

9. JD88

JD88 Member

Because our FO can't draft for **** doesn't mean there aren't future all Stars drafted late lotto every year.

Go back and look. More or less every single year, a late lotto pick makes a run for ROTY.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

We lost our first round pick. Were this a normal year and making the playoffs was the difference between picking 2-3 spots I wouldn't care. But to lose a first round pick for nothing? That's a bummer.

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

And curry might not even play, thats the ultimate **** you and sign of how embarrassing the rockets FO is.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I believe that if Curry, Draymond, and Klay all sat, we'd still have no chance to win in Oakland. Maybe we could beat them in Houston, but I'd put my money on the stripped Warriors before I would the fully loaded Rockets.

13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I love that. I'm going to borrow that if you don't mind. ;)

14. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

No problem ;)

Really though , it just blows my mind . It seems so obvious I almost feel like an idiot because we aren't doing it . Like is there something that I'm not seeing . Both my eye test and statistics back up that the starting unit has been pretty good . Did we just outsmart ourselves ? What could the staff possibly have been thinking ? " hey if we play Brewer we can put Ariza on green and that's really good ." Yeah that's like the one positive from that lineup . They just blanked on the fact that we are playing into the Warriors style ( goat small ball team ) and that by starting Brewer the rest of the rotation is thrown off .

There are some mysteries surrounding the offseason and some coaching decisions that I would love to find out what happened behind the curtain. Becuase some of these moves are just so counter-intuitive .

1 person likes this.
  15. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

First of all, it's one game. Curry is questionable for Game 2. How weak are you that you would rather take a seat on the bench than have a chance to slay Goliath.

I don't care what the odds are. I never give up on my team and I would rather see them in the playoffs than watch other teams take a try. With that attitude, why don't all the teams except the Spurs go ahead and throw in the towel.

We have two all-stars. While they may be dysfunctional for the majority of the time, they have been capable of sparking -- especially in the playoffs.

Keep calm and the Rockets on. :p

16. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

[​IMG]

17. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

If anybody from 10-14 turns into even half a decent player, I'm going to revisit this thread and ask if you guys really thought 4 games of a team kicking us around while not playing their best player/ toying with us was worth it. Sometimes you have to put your head down and persevere to win the war, even if it means losing a battle.

18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Lol, JR, that was pretty ****ing awesome!! Great collection of posts

19. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Like I said, if Denver ends up getting a higher the 10 pick, or a 10-14 pick ends up being even a decent sort of player, these people need to be shamed. They tout their arrogance and call other people bad fans.

20. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think we're still a free agent destination.

I get what you're saying, but imo this is more a mess of a team than a mess of a franchise, and the team is going to be different anyway, so i'm not sure free agents will pick another team over us because of this Rockets team.

Something is just not there, you can see it, they don't trust each other, they don't play as a team. I don't care if it's Dwight's fault, Harden's fault, just don't care at this point, but this is going to change anyway, it has to, and i'm positive we'll be better next year as a team.

I still think our front office is one of the best in the league, players know that we're good in moving picks/players to get better (someone will make jokes on Lawson i know, but that was a good gamble) and be in a good position when it counts.

We are a good market.

We can choose a coach.

We have the chance to create space for two max guys while keeping Harden and a bunch of good/cheap role players and young guys.

It's true that a lot of teams will have cap space, but not all of them can offer all these assets.