1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tmac and Yao were way better than Howard and Harden.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I was being sarcastic. Some people said that we lost the series because Yao was stopped by Okur. That was actually the highest scoring playoffs series in his career. We lost because the other rotation players outside of Yao and TMac were

Hayes
    Battier
    Alston
    Head
    Howard (Juwan, not Dwight :grin:)

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I'd take the heart over a team that got to the WCF over the heart of a team that got outhuslted by Boozer and Memo in game 7 at home.

1 person likes this.
  3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You on point samfisher??

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

People act like TMAC and YAO was taken out by the Bird Celtics and the Showtime Lakers

Hell the last Francis team lost to a better team than any team TMac lost too

Young Francis and company had 4 competitive games against a Mature seasoned team with 4 future hall of famers on it not including Horace Grant/Bryon Russell/Rick Fox

THAT TEAM was better than ANY TEAM that Booted TMac and Yao out of the playoffs.
    [I still say they were cheated in game 1]

Rocket River

5. tinman

Supporting Member

Crush them rocket river!
    Go devestator on them!

6. Caesar

Caesar Member

I'd take Yao and T-Mac at 25 years old over Harden and Dwight any day. Yao and T-mac had garbage talent around them compared to Harden and Dwight.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It's not all of nothing.

Last year Harden-Howard was one of the best Rockets duoa in history, better than anything Yao-mcgrady did

This year they are one of the most embarrassing teams in all of sports

8. Caesar

Caesar Member

They were 1 game better than T-Mac and Yao's best season which included a 22 game winning streak. If they had Yao in the playoffs that year, i'm sure they could have beaten the Jazz, but would have faced the Lakers in the 2nd.

Last years regular season Rockets were overachievers that got extremely lucky several times. Healthy 07-08 Rockets would beat last years Rockets in a 7 game series.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Maybe, I haven't thought of it. Injuries were definitely part of the problem for tmac-yao. Harden has been incredibly durable

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am sure you'd also take the heart of a team that lost double digit at home to a Chris Paul-less Clippers team that had just finished a brutal 7-game series. But hey, each to his own. :)

11. tinman

Supporting Member

Lol hypothetical situations is all the tmac fans say.

They can't stop saying

If
    Would
    Could
    Should

12. N2bnfunn

N2bnfunn Member

Really I am sorry I must have missed it, when did they go to the western CONF finals ?

13. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

These type of arguments are getting old and pointless. Neither team has achieved the ultimate prize and that's the NBA Championship TROPHY. So why are we playing IF game around here.

Both teams are Failures

14. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Moral of the story is tinyman will not stick to one period of macs time here, he will flip flop how ever it benefits his crying. You most likely do agree that he gave more effort collectively compared to Haren, you just cant admit it because you are in a michael bay movie fighting tofs *explosion* watch out tinyman!!!

15. tinman

Supporting Member

McGrady fans feel that in hypothetical situations, tmac goes every year and wins 5 titles

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Considering they came back from the dead to win the series in epic fashion. .. yeah id take it.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

I'd take it too.

because you and I have been Rockets fans since Clutch City , the real one. And it's heart that wins you games when you are down 3-1 to Phoenix or facing game 7 vs the Knicks.

These Tmac fans never witnessed it or refuse to embrace Clutch City. that's the difference. They are in NBA2K city where they pick Tmac and get another controller and pick the other team and force the other team to run away from the basket so tmac can score.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

And role players like Jones, Smith or Prigioni had nothing to do with the comeback vs Clips to make 3rd round?

Or that the Clips just got arrogant and dropped 1 game?

Good lord, if I had not seen the series, I would think Harden and Howard were both Finals MVP worthy.

Good thing I watched that series. Howard was way better than this season and Harden was more consistent but neither was the reason we came back.

And Carl Herrera was on the brink of declaring the Clippers a gawd team.:cool:

It was a fun time while that lasted until this year

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Yao was better than any version of Dwight we had.
    Harden was better than any version of McGrady we had.

The Yao/Mac teams had better supporting pieces, coaching and less competition, yet weren't able to find playoff success.

20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Is this a freakin joke? I know you are biased, but this is beyond stupid and disqualifies you from any discussion on this.

2004:
    Sura, Wesley, Howard, Padgett, Barry, Taylor, Jackson, Deke, James, Bowen, Weatherspoon, Lue, Ward,

2005:
    Sura, Wesley, Howard, Barry, Jackson, Deke, Padgett, Taylor, James, Bowen, Weatherspoon, Lue, Ward, Barrett, Nachbar, Strickland, Gaines, Norris, Gaines, Braggs, Baker, Knight

2007: Alston, Battier, Head, Howard, Hayes, Snyder, Deke, Wells, Lucas III, Spanoulis, Padgett, Nowak, Tsakalidis

2015:
    Beverley, Ariza, Smith, Motiejunas, Brewer, Jones, Dorsey, Pap, Prigioni, Canaan, Daniels, Garcia, Capela, Shved, KJ, Black, Johnson

2016:
    Ariza, Beverley, Brewer, Capela, Terry, Smith, Lawson, Motiejunas, Jones, Thornton, Harrell, Beasley, KJ, Goudelock

Here, the big support of those "better supporting casts" for McGrady and Yao:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200505070DAL.html

4 players (excluding McGrady/Yao) SCORED, the fgs outside of Yao and McGrady are 6/33 (huge support!)

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200704260UTA.html

2 players (excluding McGrady/Yao) SCORED, fgs 6/25. Again, what a huge supporting cast in crucial games.

Now to the worse supporting cast for Harden and Howard:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201504240DAL.html

75pts outside of Harden/Howard, 28/59 fgs.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201504180HOU.html

83pts outside of Yao/Harden, 29/65 fgs.

Infamous game 6:
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201505140LAC.html

Harden abysmal 5/20 fgs. Supporting cast: 76pts, 25/55 fgs

Could post many more where the supporting cast put up great numbers and also many more where McGrady/Yao had to put up with abysmal support. To say they had a better supporting cast is so far from the narrative I don't even know what to say.

1 person likes this.