1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Panama Papers: Mossack Fonseca leak reveals elite's tax havens

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Apr 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Putin seems particularly touched by the issue.

https://neurope.eu/article/putin-dismisses-corruption-allegations-information-product/

(lol)

2. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

your mom gives reach arounds before noon.

3. Northside Storm

The first CEO who has had to resign because, well, "media"--though he's one name out of thousands, and nobody had alleged any crimes against him (yet). That might change as regulatory agencies start reacting. Too much heat in the kitchen, I suppose.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ing-ceos-head-claimed-panama-papers/82736582/

4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

None of these people broke the law because they all paid to make sure we have our current laws.

#144 ipaman, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  5. Northside Storm

Even the Swiss are admitting it's time for code red.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/...ctivists-stage-panama-papers-protest-in-paris

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If I was a CEO with money hidden overseas -- whether it was ill-begot or not -- I wouldn't want to bother with all the crap the bank is about to go through. I'd just start my retirement with all my millions. He might have to come testify at some point, but he won't have to lead the bank's defense.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The PM of Iceland, Michael Grahammer,CEO of Austrian lender Hypo Landesbank Vorarlberg - this leak is beyond my wildest overhyped expectations.

I can't wait to see the movie version of this. I think Fassbender should play Grahammer.

8. Northside Storm

Who should play the heads of the 14 banks about to be charged with money laundering cases that look like "blatant and massive corruption"?

the bald dude who plays the californication sidekick, and the dude that played Ben Bernanke and NWA's Jerry rounds up the first two basic white people I can think of, but I struggle with the other 12

9. davo

davo Contributing Member

I'm not going to defend alleged tax minimization/avoidance of a mining company in Uganda, but drawing this sort of direct cause and effect to try and make a point is ludicrous. Media grandstanding at its best. Poor healthcare in Uganda might be impacted in some infinitesimal way by lack of tax payments, but I'm pretty sure the long history of corruption, inefficient government and misuse of funds might just have more to do with it.....

10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Voting Bernie?

11. Nook

Nook Member

Still waiting for that "big moment."

Apparently a Shoney's general manager is feeling pressure to resign after his name came up in all of this mess.

No worries, he said he will drive his red 1994 Firebird down to Cracker Barrel and work his way up the ladder again.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

What I've learned is that I really need an offshore account.

Also, I've learned offshore banking and tax avoidance isn't illegal.

13. Northside Storm

no, but money laundering, bribery and corruption still might be, so be careful yo

14. Northside Storm

Wait until the prosecutions start coming in.

15. Northside Storm

Yeah, and where do those corrupt leaders funnel and launder their money?

Just a global failure of responsibility on so many levels, and it's always the poorest who will suffer.

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

A global failure of responsibility? Why does a Panamanian company have any requirement to fix the problems going on in Russia, China, and Iceland? And how do taxes become a global obligation?

17. Northside Storm

um, in this case, a company tried sold an oil rig in Nigeria and then avoided $400m in taxes by switching from haven to haven thanks to our friends at MF. Nigeria's entire healthcare budget is less than $400m.

It was pointed out that Nigerian politicians are as equally corrupt. Fine, but guess where they launder their money? Most likely with said Panamanian company or its ilk, which at various times, obstructed justice to hide ill-gotten gains.

At some point, you have to question the entire global financial infrastructure and the level of corruption it entails/accepts.

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

NS, you are slacking. Cameron?

19. Northside Storm

He admitted it himself and I've already brought it up indirectly before, I'm more interested in the Swiss saying there are potentially 14 banks they want to prosecute for money laundering at this particular point, but you're free to copy & paste as you see fit.

20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

just might if he's the nominee