1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Dekker headed to the Vipers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 19, 2016.

1. dmoneybangbang

Lol. The playa hatas ball is in town for this thread.

It will be amusing to see you folks back peddling when Dekker turns out to be another quality role player as DD likes to call them.

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

You aren't relying on anything other than your "gotcha!"--fantasy coming true. Nothing, not the facts, minutes, points, health issues back you up.

Morey is just a turd with draft picks.

That being said, I would much much much rather having him draft this year than make the playoffs.

1 person likes this.
  3. chandlerbang21

BUSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

4. dmoneybangbang

Aside from the health issues, it seems folks are pretty ignorant about his collegiate career.

I see nothing about his play or potential that would suggest he's a bust. But please enlighten me, aside from his health, what makes him a bust or a disappointment?

Aaron Brooks
    Carl Landry
    Luis Scola
    2Pat
    Chandler Parsons
    Marcus Morris
    DMo
    TJones (for 2 1/2 season)

How exactly are you using the word "turd"?

5. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

you just proved yourself wrong.

6. fattz

fattz Member

Wow! Sclola is from SAS. One needs to look at the other player that where available at the time we picked ours. Morris and Jones should be all stars not role players and 12 men one a 500 team.

7. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Before I forget, you know why Morey's first draft class is so much more different than the others? There is a really big reason to it, and it's been stated multiple times. I'm so sick and tired of uninformed people throwing the same diapers around. Figure it out .

Hint: it's because he had the least to do with it. Look up who was behind those picks and why rookie GM looked to his predecessor and head coach.

8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Marcus Morris is a starter on a playoff team, averaging over 14 ppg and 5 rpg as a stretch-4. That's a fairly good outcome for the average 14th overall selection in any given draft.

The fact that a superstar (Kawhi) happened to have been selected immediately after Morris -- a matter that still drives me nuts -- should not change what reasonable expectations of the 14th pick should be.

9. dmoneybangbang

LOL? Did he not go to college?

If you can't coherently explain, then just say so.

Right.....

Fact of the matter is you decided to use the word "turd" to describe players that have gone on to get paid by other teams (not on minimum contracts either). Your agenda and/or bias is showing.

10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

LOL, people still defending Mauri's drafting

Mauri is a very mediocre to borderline pathetic drafter in the top 20, he is slightly above average after that.

Too many busts like White, Dekker, Mook over Kawhi , TJ etc. While other teams are drafting franchise players and cornerstones like Kawhi, Ibaka, Butler, Draymond Green Deandre Jordan with lower picks, Mauri can't find a single guy in the draft that he can build around long term past his rookie contract.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

People are so freaking stupid. Its not even worth the energy to debate the morons here that keep on trying to cherry pick to rant against Morey in the draft.

He's never drafted a superstar in the first round (but fail to mention he's never drafted in the top 10 if you don't count Rudy Gay).

Drafted Mook over Kawhi (half the NBA missed on Kawhi.... just stop with this stupid argument)... Oh.... and Mook is actually a pretty damn good player for 14.

Drafted Dekker, could have had Portis..... seriously???? Dekker hasn't even been healthy enough to play significant basketball yet.

TJ a bust??..... OMG... yes he sucks now, but the Rockets got two starter quality seasons out of a mid first round pick... they got their value and some if you know anything about the middle of the first round pick history.

Yes, he drafted Royce White.... the guy who was one of the most dominant college basketball players the year before with mental health issues. They struck out here.... big strike, but that's really it.

There is just no point in debating this sh#$ with you guys. You are going to dog on Morey just to b**** to hear yourself b****.

Enjoy the catharsis.

1 person likes this.
  12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

So in 7 games at 23.3 mpg, Dekker is:

So... not great. Nice rebounding though! But yeah he's coming off a major surgery and it's only been 7 games so I can't throw the towel in on him yet.

Here's my bold, fiery hot take: his ability to contribute on the Rockets hinges on him getting a shot.

There were some here who said, when he was drafted, that he's not a good [three point] shooter and that there was no reason to suspect he'd become one. I disagreed and said I believed he could become a good one. Too early for me to tell anything definitively, but the data so far isn't on my side.

Unfortunately BBall Reference doesn't track individual shots from D-League players. I'd like to see his percentage around the rim.

1 person likes this.
  13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Mauri seems to do his best at the end of the 1st early second round. His 13-18 range picks kind of suck.

I think marcus morris turned out ok. Dmo is ok too, but quite injury prone.

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">JBB said Sam Dekker who is in Dallas with the team will see his doctor today for a checkup on his back.</p>&mdash; Calvin Watkins (@calvinwatkins) <a href="https://twitter.com/calvinwatkins/status/717743549945487360">April 6, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

15. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

That's not the kind of record I want in a GM. If you get late lottery or mid-first round picks, do something productive with them. Don't keep drafting mediocre players or straight up busts and then use your success in the late first round or second round as some sort of defense for your overall failure to add young talent to this roster.

This is one of the biggest reasons I want Morey gone. No matter how this season plays out, a major retooling if not rebuilding will be in order. And I do not trust him with the reins considering the draft will be a huge part of this effort.

16. dobro1229

He's also a player that from a mile away we should have been able to see that he's built to be a versatile role player on the NBA level if he makes it. He's not one of these guys like Terrence Williams who is heads above everyone else in a pickup game and will look great in the D-League, or a monster athletically who can wrack up points by simply being bigger or more athletic than everyone else down there.

You look at guys like Kyle Singler, DeMarre Carroll, Ariza, Dudley, and even former players like Battier etc. that are essentially versatile role player types. Do you see those guys putting up stats early in their career in the D-League?

Where Dekker was drafted and by the team he was drafted by I don't know why there are idiots here expecting something else... especially in his rookie year only 7 games off of a back surgery layoff. Even if his scoring, and overall production increases in the D-League, do we REALLY expect to see TWill type of production down there?

Or can we just simply look at what type of player he projects to be with the Rockets in a year or two. CAN WE SEE HIM DOING THOSE TYPE OF THINGS that bring value to the team in that role????

I personally can see it.... IF he makes himself into a non-liability from the 3 point line. If he can do what he does now, and have the ability to guard 2's, 3's, and 4's he will have a long NBA career. But the fact here is that even if he was the runner up to rookie of the year, people here would have a problem with him and Morey because "He could have drafted the Rookie of the Year".

17. dmoneybangbang

This. Pointing out a handful of great players we missed on doesn't really prove much, except to those with agendas or don't know any better.

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I think a lot of the frustration people are having with Dekker is a byproduct of this terrible season. People who think the Rockets are run poorly* can point to very recent things like this season's overall performance and our first round pick's injury/irrelevancy.

I mean, you have to admit, it is a bit frustrating as a fan to know that we drafted a guy with a back problem. That's just salt on the wound that this season has caused.

With all that said, I agree that people are being too hard on Dekker. But hey this is CF, where overreacting is the only kind of acting we do. You're a bust or a "super role player", etc etc.

*They could also point to the Rockets hastily firing their coach after 11 games, but I think all of these people wanted McHale gone anyway. But I really do believe firing McHale 11 games into the season reflects very poorly on the Rockets. I won't be the least bit surprised when a guy like Thibs passes on the Rockets because he doesn't think they treat their coaches with the respect they've earned.

Also thanks to JR for linking me to the stats I was wanting on Dekker.

http://stats.nbadleague.com/player/#!/1626155/stats/shooting/

Shotchart: http://on.nba.com/21iaVqT

63.6% at the rim? I like.

19. dmoneybangbang

Have you been watching a different rockets team draft? It's not very likely to get anything very productive past a Patrick Patterson or Marcus Morris type of role player. It seems we consistently draft role players more often than busts. Perhaps you need to get your expectations inline with the reality of the NBA draft.

20. dobro1229

Yep. What we know about Morey is pretty much the same thing that he was hired on to do in the first place when the Rockets were capped out with T-Mac, and Yao.... he's great at finding undervalued assets & players whether it be through the draft, free agency, or trade.

He'll never be able to prove that he can draft superstars if he's never in the top 10 of the draft. Its just stupid as hell to start up that argument, but people are looking for catharsis.

Zach Lowe had a great podcast with Hinkie yesterday that was very interesting to hear him talk about going back and sort of redrafting to find out what they missed and why. I'd assume Morey operates almost the exact same as Hinkie, scouts, and ranks with a very similar process. Actually Hinkie probably is heavily responsible for much of the pick that people b**** about on here (PPatterson, Morris, etc.) before he went to Philly.

These guys operate on baseline projections, and analyzing risk. Everyone here can sit on their couch and say I wanted this guy or that guy, but nobody here has to sit on the risk involved. And NOBODY here can say that if they had the exact same information that guys like Hinkie and Morey have that (if they are intelligent people) wouldn't make the exact same decisions.

I honestly think that folks here would opt for less information, more gut feelings, and more risk if you read into what they write. Its baffling, but again.. its a luck of the draw draft. If you guys (speaking to the clutchfans hate crew) would rather operate on gut feelings going into the draft, speak your mind and say it with a straight face, and own up to it.