1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Kevin Durant to Houston? Don't Hold Your Breath

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Oct 23, 2013.

1. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

I got scared because BimaThug is a super smart dude. Then I saw this was from 2 1/2 years ago. Now I'm less scared.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Accurate when written, still accurate today, IMHO.

DD

3. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

LOL. Seriously?

#1)
    Assuming that Parsons receives a large contract (either in 2014 or 2015), the Rockets will not have nearly the salary cap space to sign Durant to anything remotely approaching what he can (and should) command on the open market.

#2)
    It is also likely that, rather than letting the contracts of Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik expire and losing them for nothing, the Rockets will either re-sign one or both of Lin and Asik or trade at least one of them (probably Asik), taking back additional salary in the process.

His whole basis was we won't have the cap space to do it. We're going to have the cap space to go after TWO max contracts.

The only thing still accurate today is:
    2016 is a long ways away and a lot can change between now and then

A lot can change and a lot did change. Durant in Rockets red boy I'm calling it!

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Who knows if Durant will come here. I doubt at this point he even knows.

5. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Injury prone Parsons getting a big contract from the Rockets? I wouldn't risk it personally

6. koby1868

koby1868 Member

Easily my least favorite member on CF IMHO.

1 person likes this.
  7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

While you are right about all the above, I still agree to this day (for a totally different set of reasons) that you Shouldn't "Hold Your Breath" in the Durant pursuit.

I THINK the Rockets get a meeting (mostly because of Durant's relationship/respect for Harden), but beyond that I just can't understand the reasons for making the jump.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Just talking about the title and overall theme - Don't hold your breath.

Well, ok, considering I have no clue who you are, or have ever spoken to you - but good on ya !

DD

9. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Idk know why he'd honestly come here.

Option 1: GSW (Wants to win)
    Option 2: OKC (Has grown to love the city/team)
    Option 3: Wiz (Home town/every NBA'rs dream to play for home team)
    Option 4: Rox (Friendship w/ Harden/Beasley, gets to pick coach)

Anyone else think differently? Feed me, I'd honestly love to be more optimistic..

10. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

I think

Bev/goudlock/harden
    Harden/Kj
    Durant/ariza/smith?
    Beasley/Smith?/Harrell
    Capella/Dmo

Is one of the best rosters KD could find with going to a team like GS or the Spurs without being condemned as a ring chasing b**** like lebron is. KD is top 3 fav in the league but I would call him pu$$y if he went to GS or SA. I know he also wouldn't waste his prime with old man Melo or trying to rebuild the lakers.

Besides I think Houston just looks appealing. We have his best friends harden/Beasley, could have a veteran in ariza come off the bench(who I think from playing KD respects ariza and would like it). We have young athletic up in comings who could surround him for nearly a decade in Kj/Harrell/Capella(who shown he's the most efficient and athletic backup in the league and is only 21. We will most likely be able to sign another max contract next to him and harden. Morey will bend over backwards for him. He played at UT. It's a franchise he could stamp his name to. LA,Boston,NY are all to big of franchises whose stars get over shadowed from the mass history of past legends who played there. Les will pay for any coach if he gets KD. He also wouldn't be next to the next Jordan like curry is being labeled as, and the fans would probably hold the splash bros higher than Durant. I feel like Houston might wear more KD jerseys than harden if he comes here lol

KD stays in OKC or comes here

11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I think the Rockets will be strongly considered, but I just don't see him leaving OKC before Westbrook. I have a feeling he signs in OKC for a one-year deal (maybe a 2nd year on a player option), aligns his free agency with Westbrook, and truly makes his decision in the summer of 2017.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This is far and away the likeliest scenario.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I thought this was the summer of UNGODLY MONEY in the NBA

How does signing a 1 or 2 yrs deal guarantee the big money long term
    esp with his foot issues?

I don't think you risk it .. . take the FO SHO money

Rocket River

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I'm sure he has enough leverage to negotiate an optout after 1 year, just like lebron does.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

To me, I don't see him signing a year or two deal for someone who is approaching 30 fairly soon. And he will make his decision based on whats best for him right now, not on what others like westbrook will do a year later because even wb likely doesn't even know yet until the time comes.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Option 1: Oklahoma City — Unofficial home; team that drafted him; where he can get the most money(either now or next year); great team that as long as their big three was healthy, they haven't lost a playoff series. That'll probably come to an end this year but ... OKC is not the dumpster fire some make it out to be. He can't win there. It's not gonna work. He's gotta leave! If that's the case, then there's only two or three other options: Golden State, San Antonio & maybe Cleveland. So, does he believe in Thunder management? Does he believe he can win now & in the future there? Does he believe in Billy Donovan?

Option 2: Golden State — Self explanatory. Best team in the league. Some say you do it, some say you don't: does Golden State want to break up [part of] their great team to fit in said great player? It seems like they would.

Option 3: San Antonio — If not the best team, how about the 2nd best team? Durant, Leonard, Aldridge — pretty formidable. San Antonio can also play the "Come back to Texas!"/"No state taxes!" angle too. You missed each other at Texas but now you can be teammates here in San Antonio! Oh, and did we mention Gregg Popovich?

Others

Toronto — Help put the Toronto Drakes over the top! Head out to the easier (although now more competitive) Eastern Conference!

LA Clippers — Bigger market than Oklahoma City. Send the OU star back to Oklahoma (or move out Jordan). Is CP3-Durant-Jordan or CP3-Durant-Griffin better than his current situation?

Miami — Appealing but maybe not as appealing as say in...2010? Wade still good but getting older; Bosh is dealing with health issues for the 2nd season in a row. Pat Riley?

Atlanta — Spurs east! On a team lacking stars, slide right in! Enjoy team ball, where you don't have to do all the lifting!

Boston — See Toronto & Atlanta; Easier Eastern Conference. Lacking stars like Atlanta, slide right into our team! Brad Stevens!

Houston — James Harden; come back to Texas; no state taxes; choose your coach; maybe we get someone else in here with you & Harden

Washington — Come home! You and John Wall & the oft injured Brad Beal! Easier Eastern Conference!

LA Lakers — Randle, Russell & a high draft pick! Maybe choose your own coach? Kobe's gone, be the next great star in LA! We'll bring in someone else this year or next!

Could see it: Oklahoma City, Golden State, San Antonio, Houston, Miami
    Ehhh...: Toronto, LA Clippers
    Don't see it: Atlanta, Boston, Washington, LA Lakers

We like to think/say "Of course, everyone is going after Durant hard." Yeah, no. Not every team is gonna make a run and these free agents usually have no more than 5-7 teams they(or their agent) visit with.

Golden State will get a visit
    Oklahoma City will get a visit
    Miami will get a visit
    Houston will get a visit
    Washington will get a visit
    LA Lakers will get a visit
    -------------------------------
    San Antonio may get a visit
    Toronto may get a visit
    LA Clippers may get a visit
    Atlanta may get a visit
    Dallas may get a visit
    Maybe a mystery/surprise visitor

#136 J.R., Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  17. dje243

dje243 Member

I agree. If he's going anywhere its Houston. GS or SAS is just ring chasing. He's not at that point yet. He wants to be THE REASON the team wins a ring. Not just one of 4 or 5 elite players.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Duane Brown with KD:

[​IMG]

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The issue with GSW is that he'd be just along for the ride if he did that and if they end up back to back champions, would they want to break up that team to make it work? I have my doubts

When it comes to OKC, they have maybe one more year before Westbrick bolts to a major market team. Would Durant really want to sign away the rest of his prime on a team that doesn't have much of a chance of winning and is about to go into rebuilding? I'm not so sure. Maybe a 1 year deal, but that would be it IMO.

I don't see why he'd want to go to the Wizards unless he just REALLY wanted to go back to DC. He wasn't even a fan of the local Bullets/Wizards growing up though, so I'm not sure what kind of pull that'll have.

I don't think it's a slam dunk for him coming to Houston, but IMO the Rockets can offer a really good package showing him that the Rockets could have a chance to contend with him as the #1 guy while getting to pick the coach. Also he'd get to finish out his prime next to James Harden.

If he just wants a ring and doesn't care how it is perceived, then sure GSW and SAS are valid options. I just think that he doesn't want to be seen as the #2 guy and on a team with Curry or LMA, he might.

20. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

If Durant likes clubbing he'll choose us. Thank you Harden.

:cool: