1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone getting in line for Tesla Model 3?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CXbby, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

wut??

2. joeson332

joeson332 Member

3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

$327 for service (no drain plugs, can only be done at their dealership), $89 for full synthetic oil, $60 filter, then disposal fees. Never buy British.

4. Bandwagoner

What model car has no drain plug and why does that increase the cost by 200 dollars? It's not like the pump they would needs would be that expensive. Just curious. Are you saying "oil change" when actually they do several services because the oil needs changing once a year?

5. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

Yikes.

Jag? Range Rover?

6. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

The services such as computer checking and fixing any suspension or transmission issues, etc and are all included in my warranty package. No extra charge. It's a 2012 Jaguar XJL. I haven't had an oil change since October 2014 either as I don't drive a lot and with full synthetic I can go close to 15,000 miles without one, just gotta change the filter. Trust me, it's not something that I enjoy paying for. It's ridiculous.

7. CXbby

CXbby Member

8. Bandwagoner

That's really villainous that they charge that much. I wish all cars did away with the drain plug and dipstick. I do my own oil changes and I think it would be great.

9. CXbby

CXbby Member

Those are tame. Check out this one:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Longest line EVER <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Model3?src=hash">#Model3</a><a href="https://t.co/EafMhK3BDC">https://t.co/EafMhK3BDC</a></p>&mdash; Tesla Motors (@TeslaMotors) <a href="https://twitter.com/TeslaMotors/status/715632500303761408">March 31, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

One downside that doesn't get talked about is your range declines due to charging. It is relatively minor but my max range dropped from 266 to 247 over about 47k miles. That said there is no maintenance on the car other than tires. Get in and go. It's also nice not having to go to a gas station, but conversely you have to remember to keep your car plugged in when you get home and it simply takes time to charge it if you don't have a high powered wall charger (which I'm currently having some issues with).

It takes a little adjusting going from a combustion car to electric but I'm never going back. It's just flat out superior technology.

11. Swishh

Swishh Member

Another dumb question - so if there are 180,000 pre orders in 24 hours - and that's globally not just the United States, then doesn't that make it pretty much definite that those who pre ordered will qualify for the tax credit? Since the tax credit is up until Tesla sells 200k cars. Still a little confused on that, and reading elsewhere, I think a lot of other people are as well.

Also - does the Model 3 have falcon doors?

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

And it's so awesome to watch this revolution take place. I hope within 15 years all cars will be automated and electric. It will be an amazing human achievement.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Here it is in motion.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wM0-tKOsbNw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DD

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You obviously follow Tesla a lot more than I do, but my biggest concern is the production goal.

500,000/year 4 years from now just doesn't seem realistic considering barely over 100,000 Tesla have ever been sold.

Hopefully your extreme optimism is right. I'm rooting for Tesla and the EV movement to disrupt everything.

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

O&G industry faints. Gasoline makes about 36% of the market as far as crude oil is concerned.

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Tesla has delivered about 60K cars. They are still delivering cars as we speak. Simple math says that not all will get the full credit. A lot of us will be getting some credit (50, 25% of $7500), more than likely as long as Tesla can deliver the cars in somewhat of a timely fashion.

No to question about doors.

17. CXbby

CXbby Member

It's all about money. Making cars is a highly capital intensive endeavor. It takes billions of dollars to do the R&D to develop a car, tooling, ramping up capacity - all while not making a dime yet because not a single car has yet been sold - and you are not even sure if there is demand. Then once the car goes on sale that investment is recouped over the years.

This is why there hasn't been a successful new US car manufacturer since Chrysler 75 years ago. The barriers to entry are far too high. Legacy manufacturers can do this because they have ramped up over the past 100 years and they are selling millions of units of multiple models to support any new developments.

By comparison, over the past 4 years Tesla has been funding development and ramping capacity of 2 new models - X and 3(not to mention their energy storage division) - all through the sales from one single model - the Model S. Of course it is going to be losing money overall in this light - even though per car their gross profit margin is one of the highest in the industry. Now this profitability curve is going to start shifting this year as Model X and their storage business start to come online - going from costing money to develop to making money from sales.

What I am trying to explain is that it takes money to expand in such a capital intensive business such as this, and you can only start making money once you are done spending money to develop the products, buying the equipment to make the products and expanding the factory(s) that holds eveything. Every new car manufacturer over the past 75 years has failed before making it to that point. Tesla is about to cross that chasm. Once it does, then they can generate the capital to expand even more.

On top of that, as I said before in this thread, when you show Wall St this level of demand - they will be more than happy to throw money at Elon's feet. Most likely through an equity offering in the coming weeks/months. This would be jeered if it was out of necessity due to losing too much money, it will be cheered because instead it is due to too much demand and thus they are forced to accelerate growth. In an economy where growth is so hard to find, the bankers will celebrate this and Elon will leverage them to his maximum benefit.

My point is ramping up production is more about money - capital - than it is about time. 2-4 years is plenty if you can throw enough money at it. The combination of Tesla turning the corner in profit generation itself, combined with an equity offering should give them that ability.

Now, I am not saying this will be easy to accomplish, even with the capital at hand. In fact it will be incredibly challenging to execute. There are tons of people rooting and betting their money(by shorting) against Tesla for that exact reason(and many other reasons). Some may think that it is impossible and they might just be right.

But then again, 10 years ago they said it was impossible to create a successful car startup. 1 year ago they said it was impossible to land a rocket upright. And 1 day ago they said it was impossible to make an EV that the masses wanted. The guy seems to have a flair for the impossible.

#278 CXbby, Apr 1, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  18. cebu

cebu Member

makes me dizzy watching it.

19. Swishh

Swishh Member

Right, makes perfect sense, thanks. Do we know how many of the 180,000 pre orders are in the United States alone - since that's all that's relevant for the credit.