1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN Insider] Todd McShay Mock 3.0

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by FishBulb913, Mar 2, 2016.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Agreed about Shepard. Not sure if he makes it to our 2nd pick though.

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Just get me Coleman, Doctson, Boyd, or Sheperd and I am a happy guy

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Doctson is the better combo of speed and hands, pretty good at both. Of course I am biased for players I watched a lot of.

But, it's a big plus if we can get a guy that stretches the field and even a bigger plus if we can get a kick returner in the same pick. Coleman sort of quit returning kicks as he became the #1 receiving weapon, but with his speed and moxie, that could put him over the top.

Year School Conf Class Pos G Ret Yds Avg TD Ret Yds Avg TD
    *2013 Baylor Big 12 FR WR 12 17 483 28.4 1 0 0 0
    *2014 Baylor Big 12 SO WR 10 5 132 26.4 0 0 0 0
    2015 Baylor Big 12 JR WR 12 3 36 12.0 0 3 9 3.0 0
    Career Baylor 25 651 26.0 1 3 9 3.0 0

4. showa13

showa13 Member

Sterling Shepard will be the steal of the draft if he makes it passed us in the 2nd. I would LOVE to get him there but I doubt he makes it to us

5. askball

askball Member

Exactly. If we want someone with hands, Doctson should be our pick.

Check out his combine work, especially the gauntlet starting at 25 seconds. Note how he even has the awareness to tuck the ball after catching it effortlessly with his hands. And the adjustment he had to make for the last catch speaks for itself.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap3000000639179/Combine-workout-Josh-Doctson

I get that Doctson is sorta "more of the same" with Hopkins and Fuller adds a different element (speed), but I don't think there's a problem with having two wide receivers known for their hands, high pointing balls, and leaping ability.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Osweiler isn't very accurate on the deep ball anyway, so I'm not sure we should use a #1 draft pick to get him a sometimes target.

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

http://www.battleredblog.com/2016/3/24/11300416/2016-nfl-draft-is-corey-coleman-similar-to-deandre-hopkins-as-a

8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not to beat a dead horse, but for me the speed is most important trait #2 for Corey Coleman.

#1 is "burst", or "explosiveness", or "suddenness", or "quick-twitchieness" or whatever else you want to call it. He explodes off the line. He can explode into his breaks. When he's already finished changing directions, his man is still slowing down, which will force him to be constantly recovering. IMO, it is more important than the speed. It's going to let him get separation from DB's in the NFL.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm not convinced he can run the route tree.

If OBrien is, then great, I trust him, but I wouldn't draft him on speed and burst alone.

10. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Tough choice between Fuller and Coleman. Both will be great additions especially with a qb who can actually throw the deep ball

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Most non Baylor guys have been saying that Fuller reminds them of Ginn. I'll take Coleman bc I've seen every game and he's just impossible to cover.

12. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

I agree.If the Texans get one of the speedy Receivers in the draft then this offense looks dangerous"on paper" in my opinion.

13. finsraider

finsraider Member

Really like Doctson. He may not have the upside of Coleman, but his floor is much higher. He's going to make it in the league.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So are we all sort of coming around to the idea that the Texans should target a WR with their first pick?

15. TheBrownDude

TheBrownDude Member

If we can pick up Coleman and hope that Strong turns out to be something, we could be pretty dangerous, specially if we can get a decent TE. If Coleman go blow the top off of defenses, and Strong can maintain his own routes, and Nuk does his thing, we should be very dangerous. The future can be very bright for us.

16. showa13

showa13 Member

Drafting one in the first half of the draft was a good idea to begin with, and with the moves we made in FA, the legal questions surrounding Jaelon Strong, and the lack of early safety depth/depth at o and dline I think drafting a WR in the first is the safe bet

17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Two months ago people were saying there was "no way in hell" we were drafting a WR in the first.

Times have changed. I have been an advocate all along. Surround Osweiler with weapons, especially when your defense is already good. On the line, I think we just need a center, and we'll be fine. If we can get one round three, that leaves the first two rounds giving you the ability to take any two of WR, TE, or DT.

18. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would take the highest rated player, barring maybe cornerback, edge rusher, or quarterback. If Myles Jack or Rony Stanley or DeForest Buckner is there, I run up there as fast as I can. I draft whichever player has the ability to make a difference, next year or long term - whoever is most "special".

Right now, it looks like the value at that point in the draft will be WR and maybe defensive line, but a wildcard could throw that off.

I'd love it if this draft was heavy on stud big play receiving TE's, but those guys just doesn't exist.

My first inclination was a stud tackle, but there are three good ones, and a large drop off. I'm not doing to draft LeRaven Clark at 22, no matter how much I want a tackle.

1 person likes this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

If a player clearly above the rest is there when your pick comes up, you take that player... For example if William Jackson falls and he is evaluated above all else, take him.

20. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

I want to take Hunter Henry with the first pick.

A playmaking tight end with good hands and huge upside would be a nice weapon to add to Hopkins & Miller for Osweiler.

A wide receiver is flashier, but taking the top tight end could be more beneficial overall.