1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey on 790

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Oct 17, 2013.

1. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

So what is Pat Riley then if not a star****er?

2. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I had completely forgotten Jerry West had become involved with the Warriors. That makes complete and total sense now.

3. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

Stars????? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Outside this BBS, who ever considered any of these guys as "star" players.

[​IMG]

4. dmoneybangbang

How do you define chaos? We have had a winning record for how many years in a year now?

5. dmoneybangbang

Some posters are ignorant enough to think what SAS and GSW have done is easily replicatable. Some posters lack context that Morey did exactly what they wanted to over the offseason... Consistency and build from within. However, consistency doesn't mean much when it's mediocre.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

7. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

A guy who chooses the correct stars to ****, not just anyone who happens to have been popular within the past decade.

8. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I'm just saying its a stupid as heck argument to chastise GM's for chasing stars. Pat Riley landed Lebron and had Wade - everything else fell into place. Morey got Howard and that was still one of the single biggest FA signings in Rockets history. And now people are calling him out on that? SMH

9. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Been a big fan of Morey. You can't fault him for getting Dwight, gutting half the team to try to get Bosh etc. But this year has been a disaster. Not getting something back for Jones before his value petered out, re-signing Corey Brewer and Beverley to contracts above their worth, giving up on the season with an interim coach.

It makes me question whether Morey is just like McHale, his 3 and paint shots/FT offense, ie that they are good enough to be competitive and perhaps make a run in the playoffs once a while, but not championship quality.

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

He actually drafted Klay Thompson. Basketball genius

11. dmoneybangbang

Why do those moves almost outweigh the others?

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It "Failed with Howard"..... How on earth did Morey's star chasing fail with Dwight Howard?? Last time I checked Dwight Howard is a member of the Houston Rockets now for his 3rd season. Morey went StarF$%#ing and got a star.... 2 seasons of which they had great success. One year they were one bad defensive possession away from potentially making a deep run, and the other where they actually went to the WCF.

Why am I even arguing that one. Dwight Howard is a member of the Houston Rockets, and they were a better team because of it. Star F$%#ing won in that case as it did with Harden. Pretty weak argument IMO.

I'm so sick of the "Could have had Kawhi" argument. 13 other teams could say the same GDamn thing. This is another stupid way of criticizing Morey. Nobody in the world thought Kawhi would be this good. In fact criticizing your team because they don't do something that the Spurs do is complete garbage. Its like saying I should divorce my wife because she's not Adriana Lima. The Spurs are a unicorn. You will NEVER be able to replicate what they have done over the past 20 years INCLUDING MAKING Kawhi Leonard into what he is today.

And Yes I said MAKING Kawhi. I hold firm in my opinion that Kawhi wouldn't be the Kawhi he is today if he was drafted by the Knicks or Kings, or even the Rockets.

So lets just stop with this completely ridiculous argument. Also if the fans like yourself had it your way, you'd end up missing as well. I remember fans here like every year were all about Jeremy Tyler, Tyler Honeycutt, Chris Singleton (someone I admit I liked that year), etc.

Marcus Morris (who turned out to have a very underrated sophomore year for the Rockets as a quality stretch 4.... something they haven't really had since), Donatas Motiejunas, and Chandler Parsons.... IN ONE DRAFT. Morey did pretty freaking awesome in that draft IMO.

Boo Hoo... he didn't get Kawhi though.... give me a F-ing break. Neither did half the freaking NBA.

Constant turnover leads to Chaos- The Rockets HAD ALMOST NO TURNOVER this offseason, and the Rockets have had one of the most disappointing seasons in franchise history... What the F$%# are you talking about DD???

Its completely obvious that the turnover thing has very little tie to success. You know what team in the NBA over the past 10 years has been top 5 in roster turnover..... The San Antonio freaking Spurs.

If you look at the Rockets history of turnover and tie it to success than I vote for MORE TURNOVER. Obviously keeping the same team in tact doesn't work.

"Should have kept Parsons"

Okay... this one I do sort of agree with... Kinda. I thought the Rockets shouldn't have EVER let him out of his contract early to begin with, but we all know that was tied to Morey StarF$%#ing to recruit Dwight.

"Should Keep D-Mo"

The guy struggles to stay healthy, and has been productive only 1/8 off his entire NBA career. No mind you, that 1/8 of a career was really really special to watch, but at this point he hasn't proven he's worth a large investment, and an investment you make in him long-term needs to be taken with precautions.

Point being - Morey would be stupid to match a max offer for Donatas. Good news is I don't think he will be getting anything close, and looking back at it, Donatas, if he would have known how the Detroit thing would go, probably would have accepted Morey's extension offer back before the season started. (Jones obviously would have taken the offer too).

I THINK D-Mo will be back with the Rockets, and Morey is probably hopeful they can get him back too.... but using something that hasn't even happened yet as ammunition to fire against Morey is reckless babbling. The Rockets haven't let D-Mo walk yet so stop judging against something that hasn't even happened yet.

#2392 dobro1229, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i agree with some of this, but not all of it:

1) you may think a 1st round playoff exit means starf#cking won, but i don't; nor do i agree that getting past LAC and into the WC finals wasn't luck; nor do i think the way we played this year was anything other than unacceptable. Yes we are a better team with Dwight, but I disagree with your argument that things have worked out. Dwight has worked out, but the kind of success we were looking for by adding this star did not happen. Starf#cking has not won yet.

2) couldn't agree more with you about Kawhi

3) i prefer consistency to turnover, but your point about SA is interesting. I will say though that SA's core hasn't changed and that is probably the reason why they've had so much success while also having turnover.

4) Morey screwed up on the Parsons thing and i don't see how anyone can disagree.

5) The verdict is still out on DMo, so not sure if there's an argument to be made there.

interesting discussion. Morey gets too much criticism, but he's also not held accountable for his mistakes and the fact that his philosophy hasn't led to success in the playoffs (it's been like 10 seasons guys)...which is when it really matters.

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

agree with both of you mostly, but I will take exception to the "fact" of no success in the playoffs. We've been there the last three years and a trip to the Conference finals. I'd say that's pretty good. Winning the league championship is not the only definition of "success" (although clearly it's the greatest indicator of success). That's all, otherwise you guys make a lot of sense.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I was partially being sarcastic about this whole stupid StarF$^ing thing. However my point is that Morey made the team better than it was before by doing so. Yes it didn't work out as far as a championship is concerned, but anyone saying the alternative gave us a better chance to compete is out of their mind.

The point is that we were better off by Morey taking a chance on stars than keeping status quo with the lovable hugable Rockets with fan favorites like Battier, Scola, Brooks, and now the lovable Donatas Motiejunas.

I would agree with anyone that past Rockets teams have been easier to root for, more fun to watch, and possibly more stable in the locker room, but taking a chance on true star talent in exchange for the loveable huggable Rockets role players is the right way to go if you are truly in it to win it.

So while Morey and his star duo hasn't won anything, Morey did everything he can do (won in terms of Front Office Goals & achievements) to put the team in a place to have higher success.

I was totally being sarcastic there too. Of course I'd love consistency over turnover especially with the fan fav (loveable huggable guys) role players, but consistency of role players (which is the only consistency Morey COULD HAVE had since he didn't have pillars after Yao & T'Mac went down) has no bearing on success from my perspective.

SAS' have the core 2 pillars (Duncan/Pop) that trumps any turnover anywhere else in the franchise. That's what is more important obviously, but people like DD are crying over turnover of who exactly???... Are Aaron Brooks,D-Mo, & McHale the Duncan & Pop of our franchise? Are these guys DD has been crying about considered the pillars of our franchise for which everyone else falls in line?

Which then flips the argument to Harden here obviously-

Sure you can criticize Harden here. Certain when you start comparing Pillars you then shift the argument to the stability of your stars & pillars elsewhere. But not everyone can have Duncan & Pop as their pillars. Sometimes you get Allen Iverson. Sometimes you get Jason Kidd (Nets years). Sometimes you get a James Harden. You don't pick your parents, and you don't necessarily get to hand pick your superstars. You gotta roll with what you got or you get stuck in an orphanage waiting to be adopted.

I agree. He let Fegan rake him over the coals in the Dwight negotiations. Should have called his bluff and laid the ultimatums in negotiations that the Dwight negotiations needed to be tied to Dwight and his contract... not Chandlers.

Maybe Fegan would have tried to force Dwight to sign with the Mavs instead at the last minute, but I guess we have to believe Dwight isn't that much of a pushover to his agent and would have eventually stood up for himself & said he's going where he wants to go. If you are only coming to Houston if your boy gets paid you must not want to be here that bad anyways. I'm calling your bluff.

But that didn't work out that way and Morey got taken by Fegan. It is what it is. At least Morey is someone we know holds up to his end of the bargain. He didn't have to execute the agreement but did so out of principle. I wish Morey didn't though. Screw principle when you are dealing with a snake like Fegan. He's screw you so screw him.

You gotta have a ticket to the dance if you wanna get a dance with the prom queen. Just because you have a ticket doesn't guarantee you anything with the prom queen, but you gotta take the first step first, and get in the dance.

Morey has proven he can get the Rockets in the dance. Getting consecutive 50 win seasons means you are in the dance. Winning the prom queen over is another thing.

My thing with Morey is okay... I get the criticisms.... but out there THAT IS AVAILABLE has a better track record to get the Rockets where they need to go?? We all want to compare him to Pat Riley or Danny Ainge. That's just dumb. Pat Riley isn't coming to the Rockets. Pat Riley only is Pat Riley because of what he's done 20 - 30 years before up until now.

What do the Rockets need from a front office/Roster perspective?
    Who is out there that's available that has a more proven track record for getting the Rockets what you just listed then Morey?

Pretty easy conclusion IMO. Until Morey's track record severely declines, he's got the best resume to get the Rockets what they need at this point unless there is some great proven GM out there out of work that can do better you guys know of.

Otherwise, the DD's of this world need to stop b****ing about Morey over and over again. If you can't tell me who is better than is available and why... you are wasting internet space.

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Typical of Mauri to chicken out

Blown out at home by a team missing probably it's best player and on a back to back and Murray doesn't attend his regular Thursday morning 790 interview. It's not like the game was away from home and he is traveling.

I'd wager that if the Rockets won, Mauri would have attended the interview saying things like we are getting better and peaking at the right time and no one would want to face us in the playoffs :grin:

18. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

You do realize that today's the start of the NCAA Tournament and that Daryl Morey is a General Manager in the National Basketball Association, right? Odds are he's not even in Houston this morning and is prepping for some major scouting over the next four days.

19. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Perhaps but I have noticed he doesn't show up after losses but would make time after a win. It's a trend.

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

And it still takes Moray 5 minutes to call in on his cell phone. You know he just chickened out because the rockets got smacked last night.