1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trade D-Mo, Thornton to Pistons for first round pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 18, 2016.

?

Do you like this trade for the Rockets?

1. YES

185 vote(s)
    27.6%
  2. NO

485 vote(s)
    72.4%
  1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Also, Pistons fans and staff note the Joel is a hardworker and good leader for younger players. Joel could bring some much needed professionalism to our locker room. That's not a bad thing ever.

2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

nevermind that... we traded him.. didn't realize...:grin:

Let the immaturity continue!

1 person likes this.
  3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

:confused:

a) we don't actually know what the value of either pick is yet. They don't allocate them until final standings

b) Morris has had a much more accomplished NBA career than DMo AND is not currently recovering from a serious back injury. DMo's court time this year has been horrendous.

c) the protection on the WSH pick is top 9, on the DET pick is top 8. On the face of it, the value of the pick is in Houston's favour there?

If we had walked away with a 2nd round pick for DMo, that is probably about all the value we could expect given his current situation. Amazing that we got a potential 9-14 pick.

4. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Look, we all loved Motiejunas. It's severely disappointing he's gone, but it is wrong to completely give up on the teams future now. It's cowardly really. It's also sad that people don't trust the front office anymore. Quite embarrassing. Keep in mind that it's not just Morey making the moves up stairs...so please don't direct all your hate to one man. It's unfair.

The truth is the front office didn't have faith in Motiejunas anymore. He hasn't played significant minutes since last March. He is coming from a bad back that most players don't come back from. He may be the hardest working guy in the league, but that doesn't stop you from having a glaring injury problem.

He was going to get paid this summer. SVG loved him hence why he delt his first round pick for him when he didn't for Tobias Harris or Reggie Jackson. That just shows that Motiejunas would have had suitors in free agency that would kill for him.

Remember what happened with Chandsome Parsons? What did we get for him? Nothing.. do we want the same with Motiejunas when he is offered a contract we don't think he's worth? By the way, isn't Parsons also due for another pay day already?

Thornton was a spark plug, but there's a reason why he has bounced around the league. I don't think people enjoy playing with him despite his ability to score and create for himself and others. It's a strange thing, but he was not going to re-sign with Houston either way.

So the front office was stuck with three things.

Pay Donatas Motiejunas whatever a desperate and hungry SVG was willing to offer.

Lose Motiejunas for nothing in free agency because he's not worth the salary.

Get something back of value for Motiejinas.

Keep in mind that we already know that he had back problems, and we are unsure if he will return to form. Keep in mind that Dwight is potentially going to walk. Keep in mind of our competition. Are we really so sure that Motiejunas being paid more or less the same has Harden would have propelled the Rockets in a season or 2 or even 3? Are we positive that Motiejinas would have returned just as dope as he was, and then evenot improve his game to become a premier big in the league? We sure about that, because I'm not.

The safety of dealing Motiejunas for value greatly out weights the risk of Motiejunas becoming an overpaid David Lee (different skill set, but just an example)

Now, after reading that and you still view it as the wrong move and we should have kept Motiejunas regardless then you are a brave person. It's a gamble, so I respect that you'd take that risk and be so sure of yourself.

5. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

BTW I love that trade by SVG because it is a HUGE risk that could also pay off... the way he's spinning is is illy, jennings(expiring), 1st for Toby, Dmo, and Thornton. What a fantastic deadline by SVG. Wow. I'm surprised Orlando didn't get that 1st for Toby. Instead we get it haha.

6. malakas

malakas Member

a) Detroit is 2.5 games from the 5th seed Washington is 2.5 games from the..8th seed.

b) Dmo's court time has been limited and horrendous, Morris court time is with a judge for felony.

c) Except there is no chance that Pistons is bellow 8. Unless an atomic bomb drops in Detroit.

D) : Suns not only got a better pick they got back a player who is productive in Humphries. We paid a SECOND to dump Joel Anthony.

7. malakas

malakas Member

orlando fcked up..but "skiles". This is typical skiles. He wants his beloved vets. And he isnt' even going to play AG over Ily. Just watch now.

8. kevtse

kevtse Member

Is the next draft deep? Any good players will slip to #10-15?

9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

You'll be back on the Morey train when his financial flexibility bags us a star player...

10. haiti1804

haiti1804 Member

Epic post! would definitely rep!However, if Moti gets over his back problems(I am pretty sure Detroit does not make this deal if they think he can't get over the hump) Morey and the Rockets have Supreme egg on their face

11. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I don't like the asset thing going on. At some point some of those assets need to be the players you count on and o realize that DMo has been out but what kind of player is morey going to pick? Bet 6 million dollars it will be a stretch 4....

This season is officially in the terlet.

12. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

The more I think about this trade the more Marcus Thornton keeps sticking out.

He is the ONLY bench player capable of getting hot.

Our bench is going to be utter garbage. Pure utter garbage.

I don't envision the next 27 games to be very enjoyable.

I don't even want to imagine this team going through one of their offensive ruts and don't even have MT to come in to try and drain a couple of triples instantly.

13. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Oh I thought everyone is all under the impression these next 27 games will be a disaster.

Miracles that would need to happen from multiple players.

I'm looking forward to seeing if our young guys McDaniels and Dekker have any potential.

14. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Realistically I don't see Decker getting any floor time outside of the D-League. I hope like hell that I'm wrong though.

15. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

Good post..

do you think front office will rather pay for Jones over DMO? or that Jones has no value to bring in around the league?

16. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

It doesn't matter if Morey's the one doing the drafting. He'll pick another 4 who can't rebound or defend and likes to shoot 3's(but doesn't make many of them).

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

So this pick will be in the 13-18th range which means Mauri has a good chance of drafting another bust like Royce WHite or Sam Dekker or Mook over Kawhi

I have not much confidence in Morey drafting well in that range as history shows. I'd rather we flip the pick for something meaningful just like we should have done with the NO pick instead of drafting a bust like Dekker

18. basketballholic

We're going to have to waive Jones to get below the luxury tax and sign a couple minimum free agents.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Patrick Patterson

20. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

How he hell is deks a bust?

His contract is amazing on the new CBA and because of that deserves as much time as possible to be able to show what he can do. I wouldn't write off any player on a rookie scale contract with the new CBA anymore, because what's the alternative pay someone like brew 6-10mill to be a average player? I'll role with the rooks