1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Houston has started contacting teams about trading Dwight Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Feb 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

How many people are willing to admit now that we should of traded for Rubio and there was interest along with Dallas instead of Lawson? Say what you want about Rubio but he would of least gave this team something as oppose to ty who brings absolutely nothing to our team.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I definitely will not admit that we should have traded for Rubio. On the court he could look just as bad playing next to Harden. He gambles a lot on defense like Brewer, and teams would have loaded up on Harden even more than they have been. Yeah off the court he would be much better to deal with but on the city it wouldn't have been great.

And then there is the contract situation. Lawson non guaranteeing his deal in year 2 makes it a no brainier choice between the two. Rubio kills you in multiple years in free agency. Lawson was a one year expiring. Even despite the disappointment, give me Lawson all day every day.

3. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

There are a lot of teams trying to get Rubio, T Wolves said he's not for sale.

4. PolarBear

PolarBear Contributing Member

I doubt Cleveland would, since Love is locked up for years, and Howard could easily walk and leave them empty handed.

Love & Mosgov for Howard & TJones is an exact salary match, but I don't know why Cleveland would do that deal.

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Picking up Martin would address all of our strengths, and absolutely none of our weaknesses. This would be the most dumbfounding pickup ever, if we did it.

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yet all we've had confirmed from Rox sources is the are focused on getting shooters at the trade deadline and names like Lou Williams and Nick Young being targets. Kevin Martin sort of fits there if they think all they need is another shooter and bam... Back to contender.

Which I think is crazy, and hope they wake up soon because this team has way more issues than just not having enough shooters. The TEAM making shots has a lot more to do with team play than just having guys on their team that historically shoot well.

7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Good. Cut his ass.

8. dje243

dje243 Member

Yeah this was my line of thinking. I was hoping we could trade for one of Smart, Holiday, or Teague, throw the max at Barnes , and then match on DMO and do our best to sign Whiteside or Horford. Not sure if would be possible to throw the max at Whiteside as well or not. Hopefully it would be:

Teague
    Harden
    Barnes
    DMO
    Whiteside

Bench would probably be weak but at least you would still have Capela and Montrezl

9. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

One of the worst defenses in the league? Target Lou Williams & Kevin Martin.

We certainly need a Brewer upgrade, and Lou Williams would be a nice fit. But our perimeter defense is pathetic, and we've got no solid rebounders outside of Dwight - how will we address these BIGGER gaps?

Courtney Lee? Marvin Williams? Luol Deng? What about a guy like Brandon Jennings?

10. Vivi

Vivi Member

Lou is just another chucker which sometimes scores 20 in regular season like Jamaal Crawford, and then always disappears in the playoffs, doesn't play defense, 7x3...just let him take all the bricks he wants in L.A.

11. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

I like Noah, Gibson, and a first for howard as well. Gibson, Noah, Ariza, and Beverly gives us four plus defenders around Harden. It's what we have to have to win. I think the lack of defense at the four is as much the reason for our bad season as anything. I also believe Noah and Gibson bring the potential for a chemistry improvement for us.

12. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I would be tempted to pull the trigger on that deal of Noah wasn't out for the year.

13. Garner

Garner Member

.....you want to max Barnes....?

Also. White side is a knucklehead who is pretty openly disrespected by his peers. Not the guy we want, despite his raw skill.

14. kwakmeister

kwakmeister Contributing Member

I went to bed last night leaving a Whiteside discussion and I woke up with the thought that it doesnt matter how toxic he is, if he is a DeAndre Jordan for us, it wouldn't be so bad. Just get lobs, get blocks, get rebounds. I dont watch the boy play, I only see bits of him being a knucklehead on reddit. I dont think he would be too bad if he stayed basic. Does he try post moves? Does he try PnR? I really dont know. If we got him I dont think it would be too bad. Especially if he would run PnR. Hell id grab D'antoni as a coach. His teams were always fun to watch. D'antoni is probably the best Moreyball coach there is.

Truthfully, get Dwight to TRY PnR for the remainder of the season. Tell him if he does it exceptionally well we'll offer more than 20 mill and if its phenomenal maybe a max is in his future. See if he responds. If we ran it to perfection then I would only slightly mind giving him a max. PnR is not something predicated on athleticism which we all see as Dwight's strength and we all see it as diminishing over time. That's asking a lot over the next 36 games but again if it was PHENOMENAL then sure, why not. I dont think it could be phenomenal but if they could click in the PnR and make another WCF then maybe... just maybe i max market value. With that success I would expect his suitors to bid higher.

Then again maybe he's a knucklehead too and decides not to run PnR and bounces. Whatever. lol

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">On Dwight Howard, <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen">@Jonathan_Feigen</a> says he's probably still a Rocket on Friday, but 50-50 for opening night next season.</p>&mdash; Howard Beck (@HowardBeck) <a href="https://twitter.com/HowardBeck/status/698926869798846466">February 14, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

So DHo will be a Rock next year; or he won't.

If someone wants to pay him Fegan money while giving the Rox decent return then he doesn't see Fri @TheToyShop. Q: can PJax put something next to Lopez to get Melo his star?

Q. Doe TheGodFather still believe in the power of the 5? And does he think the Heat can hot up with DHo?

Q. What might Bucks do to say ta-ta to Monroe?

17. Caesar

Caesar Member

Didn't he want to play in Brooklyn? Trade him for Brook Lopez. Dwight can have his own team which will build around him and where he can get all the touches he wants and in the eastern conference. He gets his big market where he can be a champion in life all he wants. We get a real post threat and 2nd scoring option. I think he's the closest thing to having a player like Yao again but i also think Lopez needs a good rebounding and defensive 4 next to him so Capella should start next to him. Trade TJones for a late 1st round pick or a serviceable Center for insurance since expecting Lopez AND Dmo to stay healthy all year is unlikely. Trade Brewer and KJ McDaniels for Kevin Martin. Have the bench Run N Gun offense.

PG:Bev/Lawson
    SG:Harden/Thorton
    SF:Ariza/KMart
    PF:Capella/Harrell
    C:Lopez/DMO/Insurance C

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I wouldn't want to keep Brook Lopez, despite his talent, but Frankenfoot might be a good option for a third team. Don't ask me which.

19. rocketsmetalspd

Way a go Feigen, going out on the limb with his prediction about Dwight. I can't to see what happens on Thursday. If a trade does go down the Rockets will be short handed against the Sun's, doesn't it take like two days after a trade is made because players need pass physical exams.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Amin Elhassan: On Friday, Chauncey Billups talked about how Howard might not be as dominating as he once was. Which is it, decline in talent or not using him right?

Mike Wallace: Decline in talent. He's had back & knee issues. It's about his mentality. You're 3 teams in. You were supposed to want to be there at those 3 places. It didn't work out. You're the common denominator in a lot of things that have gone wrong in 3 different organizations. That's a factor plus the physical factor is adding up to him

Windhorst: I would not trade one single thing of long term value for Dwight. That's why it'll be hard to trade him. The league is moving away from players like Dwight. You want someone who can extend the floor and can get out and defend. You want guys who can shoot. He cannot shoot and never been able to. His game is based on athleticism. He's not tall by NBA center standards. Shoulder, knee & back injuries, he can't jump like he did. He's in a difficult place. Does he want to be a FA? In this environment, I can't commit to giving him a gigantic contract. His game does not age well. This is why the Rockets are looking at doing something. Why give assets for the right to overpay him? I compare him to Tiger Woods. Everyone wonders what happened to Tiger Woods? What happened to Tiger Woods? What happened to Dwight Howard? What happened to Dwight Howard? They both got hurt in the same way. Their knees & backs broke down and haven't been the same since leaving Orlando.

Wallace: He still has an opt out with a very high number. If you trade for him and opts out, he's demanding a max deal. If that's the case, he's not worth a 2-month rental.

Windhorst: He's not getting it. ... The only way I see it is if he opts in.

Amin: I don't see a trade on the books for all the reasons you guys gave. The estimate for Dwight would start at $29.6M next summer. Someone will overpay him, correct?

Windhorst: At $15-18M he's overpaid. He'll opt out. This is the greatest summer to be a FA. Some team will whiff on their other targets. Let's take his contract out of it. Look at Dwight, you know what you know about his game, why would think his game will age well? Pau Gasol's game has aged well. Howard, he's 6'9. His game is predicated on moving & jumping. I don't want to be on the hook for $30M in three years.

Wallace: Grizzlies? They're in win now mode.

Windhorst: They don't have the authorization to add money to their payroll. The team that would make some sense is Miami. Cobble guys together around Hassan Whiteside. It would take a third team like Portland but I'm confident they could figure it out. The Heat would alleviate their Whiteside problem. Heat would ask Howard to pick up his option.

Amin: Riley OK with paying Dwight money this summer?

Mike: Not on a new contract. If he picks up his option, that'd make sense.

Windhorst: If you trade for him and give up something of value, you're making a 4-year decision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.