1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ex-Rockets Kyle Lowry writes about his time with Ex-Rockets Coach Kevin McHale

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsFido, Feb 11, 2016.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Adelman was never a great coach.

If you're calling Adelman great then you should call George Karl great too

2. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Adelman was a great coach from day one with the Rockets. He was great with the Kings and great with the Blazers. His resume makes Mchale's look silly. We can go through quotes of what Mchale's ex players said about him if you'd like. Mchale was never a real coach just a figurehead for Morey's failed logic.

3. dmoneybangbang

We were waiting on Bosh, that was our primary goal and we were very close to signing him and then matching Parsons.

4. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I have other quotes about Mchale from other players who told the truth about him. Mchale can say things like "Play Defense" "Play Harder" but no specifics because he had no strategy. You can pretend Mchale was this great coach if you want but we all know it's just cause everyone is mad at JB. We forget that Mchale was JB's mentor for a very long time even before Houston.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

Overrated ass coach.

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Lowry would fit better with Howard.

7. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

"It was a learning experience," said Carter, who will see McHale and the Timberwolves on Wednesday at the Pepsi Center. "He didn't really know all the X's and O's, but he had a good assistant coaching staff that was helping him out with a lot of plays. He kind of let us run whatever we wanted.
    "He was trying to draw plays, and it was like a little Etch and Sketch. Like a kid just messing around. ... He just gave the clipboard to the assistant coaches sometimes."

-Anthony Carter

8. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I knew JB jr was in trouble when I saw the clip of him partying with D12 and James at D12's birthday party like he's one of the boys. A big no no, when you're trying to gain respect.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

I'm not defending McHale. McHale wasn't as good a coach or NBA mind as Adelman.

I'm saying Adelman wasn't a great coach.

10. Newlin

Newlin Member

All ClutchFans should read this article!

People around here think McHale was soft on players. A players coach. People think that McHale made no effort to hold players accountable. Look people, read what Lowry has to say. McHale's coaching style was "hard nosed, rugged, in your face." McHale "pushed each player hard to make his team the best".

Lowry admits he tuned McHale out, and that he was wrong. Lowry says that it was Adelman that was easy on players, and that McHale would call players out if they weren't playing the right way.

This is all very important. Most people here have it all wrong. McHale wasn't the nice easy guy to play for. McHale pushed his players to do things the right way. He tried to hold players accountable.

This is all very enlightening. McHale was probably fired because he was trying to hold certain players accountable, and they rebelled.

This all comes from Kyle Lowry. Lowry knows the truth of what goes on behind the scenes. And thanks to Lowry, we also now know the truth.

11. malakas

malakas Member

One of the BEST articles on that site. I'm genuinely impressed. Impressed by Lowry's bravery and humility to put something like that publicly and admit his mistakes and show his growth. Bravo.

12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I miss you Rick

13. Nook

Nook Member

Rick Adelman has been a good coach, he is not and has never been a "great" coach.

Rick has been a head coach for nearly 25 seasons and has never won an NBA title. He hasn't won a Conference title in nearly 25 years.

It has been nearly 25 years since Adelman did what McHale did just last season.

If you want to argue that Adelman is a better coach than McHale in a vacuum, go ahead....... but get the "great coach" BS out of here.

14. OpenLayup-Why3?

Play harder is his philosophy.

15. malakas

malakas Member

God damn now after reading all that all I keep thinking is how having children changes people. Interesting and fascinating but also terrifying too. LOL.

16. dmoneybangbang

Agendas are more important than facts. McHale was an average coach, simply nothing more.

17. Rocketsmanhk

Rocketsmanhk Member

I don't care. He's a horrible tactician that should've been fired after the Portland series.

18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

It's too bad Lowry was an immature punk back then. That's all I get out of this. He basically immatured himself out of Houston.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

All I care about now is tracking the baby's poo and pee schedule.

20. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Both are great coaches. Karl coached some of the best teams in Seattle Sonics history. Adelman the same in Portland and Sacramento. Both took on mediocre teams in the Nuggets and Rockets and had them vastly outperforming their talent. Neither, I think, is a good fit anymore because coaches have somehow become fungible and don't have any real authority.