1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin McHale will be TNT guest analyst for Rockets-Warriors game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 8, 2016.

1. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

So your argument is that people should root for a team based on geography more than one that tries to get better every minute of every day - even in the offseason? I hated Jordan and the Bulls as a young man, and I'll never again disrespect that dedication and greatness. Stay on Harden's nuts; however, I will objectively realize the warriors are an all-time thing because of their dedication. Strip clubs don't make you better at basketball than hardwood floors.

2. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

It's actually a unanimously agreed issue with McHale that he never ever called timeouts and even if he did came up with no real scheme in crunch time other than a Harden isolation play.

3. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

If you change teams to whoever's winning at the time then you're a bytchmade fair weather fan and you should get no respect or credibility.

Recognizing is different than being a sheep. Most of the Harden hate comes from sheep. Harden is the second highest scorer in the league. Point the finger somewhere else bc that is a surface level analysis of what's going on here.
    Something a fair weather/casual fan who gets all their info from FSPN does.

4. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

Could you show me some links to that unanimity that aren't posts on this site?

5. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

I clearly said I had an issue with not appreciating what the Bulls did in the 90's because of the exact philosophy you reiterated. I did not respect them because their stupid social media at the time (aka Twitter) had too many followers even though they clearly deserved my respect. If you are more of a harden fan over curry for more than personal reasons, I would say that one day you will recognize your folly, much like I did.

6. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

I won't be a fan of Curry because of his bullshyt "relatable" "homely" image.

He's a cocky fucc that celebrates before the ball even starts declining.
    He was the son of an NBA player, what do I have to relate to that?

7. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

Did I say you have to relate to him, or did I say I say that I'm done finding people doing the right thing for the sport unrelatable? He is so cocky he goes back to the gym instead of the club to work on his game in the offseason, and I should find him hatable because a lot of people like him? Media twisted you kid.

8. MistaK

MistaK Member

First off, no you don't have to cheer on a team based on geography. I live in Europe and cheer on the Rockets, BUT if call yourself a FAN of a particular team, yeah you better cheer them on, even when they are struggling. If you don't do that, you aren't a FAN.

Sure, there is place for criticism - but you still cheer for them and not some other team.

I don't think anyone's saying you shouldn't recognise GS as a great team. They clearly are one of the all-time great teams. I respect them for that (still hate them though), but you will never see me cheer for them when they play the Rockets.

Secondly, no need for that strip club mention. Players are people too - they need time away from the game. Only because you will hear about a strip club visit every couple of weeks or months, doesn't mean that that player doesn't put in the work. Just cause you don't see the work being put in behind the scenes, doesn't mean it's not happening.

9. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

This site is polluted. Coming in to camp overweight is not some small thing written off by an unreported ankle injury. Eat less - your body is how you make your millions. It has more to do with the fact that curry worked on his game and Harden sat on his. If at this point you don't see that in the previous offseason, you are beyond reproach.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Curry wants to win a title and be a leader it's obvious

1 person likes this.
  11. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Draymond Green is the leader of the Warriors, period. Not Steph, he's show piece not the glue. Let Draymond get injured and watch the warriors fall apart.

1 person likes this.
  12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

So much salt from McHale

Glad you're gone. We had enough of the "clap clap" "play harder" "sticky juice" and "throwing darts"

Worst coach in the Rockets history

And yet this fool has the audacity to claim he had some part in us winning 56 games? No. That was all Harden having one of the greatest seasons all time and a bunch of role players playing for a contract. McFail is responsible for the mess we are today. I called it in pre-season when I saw the lackadaisical effort and complacency. This team felt like it could just roll into the season and reach the WCF. There was entitlement top to bottom and it starts with Milk Hair who conducted one of the worst training camps I have ever seen. We didn't work on anything. Just a bunch of 24hr fitness pick up games.

13. Pirytic

Pirytic Member

You can tell this is true by all the empty seats. When they say a sea of red they don't mean open chairs...

14. photojoe

photojoe Member

I really, truly, honestly, have absolutely no idea how any reasonable person can possibly say this.

Ok, sure, you don't like him. You like trolling against him. Every post you write about him you say that all he does is "clap, clap- play harder". We get it.

But to say he is the worst coach in Rockets history is simply foolish.

He has the best regular season winning percentage of any coach in Rockets history. Every season that he was the coach, we did better than the season before. He had just taken us on our best playoff run since 1997- almost 20 years!

I know people's responses. They will say that he had no system in place. They will say that the only reason that he had those successes was because our team was more talented. While those things are definitely true, you also can't argue with success. Outside of Rudy T, McHale was one of the most accomplished coaches in Rockets history (which is a little bit sad, but true). Even if you don't agree with the way a coach coaches or does something, you hire a coach to win games and to take a team far into the playoffs, both things that McHale did.

For what it's worth, in my own opinion (which probably isn't worth much), I wasn't sure if we should have given McHale an extension or not. But once we did, we should have given him more time than 11 games. The reason I wasn't sure about that was because I'm unsure if he is a championship level coach. But I am sure that he definitely isn't the "worst coach in Rockets history"

15. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Johnny Egan says hello.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I was listening to JVG's podcast with Woj on the way into the office this morning, and there was a great line in there about how so much coaching success being tied to circumstance, but it doesn't take away from the philosophies that he and many other coaches share about practicing the right way, training the right way, taking care of your bodies, developing, etc. etc.

I think we need to be honest about the Kevin McHale years. Despite the disdain for the guy people like FTW have, McHale was wildly successful in Houston until this year. I mean the team has been very very good in his years.

Now, what we all should be able to admit is that, like JVG stated, most of that success is circumstantial. He got a booming Harden. He got a somewhat healthy Dwight. He got some really solid young players (Parsons, last year's D-Mo, Jones before this year), he got some nice finds overseas (Bev, and Papanikolaou before his injury), and he got some great performances from wildly inconsistent players in normal years (Josh Smith, Brewer).

And most importantly (other than Howard last year), McHale has had good fortune with the health of his key players.

McHale had ALOT of great things break his way as a coach. We need to be honest with that. Not every coach could have been successful, but most NBA caliber coaches with that type of resume & background probably would have been successful.

Could the Rockets have been better? I honestly don't know. Maybe a bit more, but probably not much more. They weren't going to beat GSW last year in that series. I think they gave it their best shot which any coach would have been grateful to get what they got. The better team won, and that is that. Maybe better coaching would have impacted the Portland series with the Lillard dagger. That team goes to the next round and who knows.

But needless to say, McHale's time in Houston is done. There is no point in continued disdain towards him, but there is no reason for us to give him too much credit at the same time. His success here was tied to positive circumstance first and foremost. His winning percentage as a head coach is largely tied to Harden, Morey, and the health of his players. And that's pretty much all we need to note, and have an opinion on. Things wouldn't have been widely different either way, but one things for certain the future we will see change.

1 person likes this.
  17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Sorry I don't know much about him. I was born much later

I'm talking Bill Fitch, Rudy t, JVG, Rick Adelman etc. Milk Hair pales in comparison

18. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Would our thoughts change about McFail if we had lost that Clippers series in 6 games instead of winning in 7? Our offensive and defensive strategies suck and the players did not buy into it. Specifically 1 guy isn't held accountable to play and D and is then give the ball and everyone else is told to wait on it!

19. OTMax

OTMax Member

Tnx for this and totally agree. While I don't agree on the timing of the firing, I think McHale got as much out of this group as he could. He worked with what he was given and made it work. I believe we could've done far worse and indeed not much better. We have had so much turnover and players with low IQs who have trouble making wide open shots that it's amazing what he did in some ways. Now of course in the play-offs he got a little bit of luck, but hey, you gotta have that. I will look back upon his time as a time of great frustration and calling for his head, but I realize that with Morey's system and the way they wanted us to play, that run last year was our peak.

20. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

It's similar to "PJ had Jordan/Pippen and Kobe/Shaq-Pau so he was lucky and anyone could do it" narrative. Or that Pop was lucky Duncan fell in his lap.

Trolls are best left alone.